Courtesy of Liz Carter

Making Yale more “fun and memorable” is at the core of Liz Carter’s ’24 campaign for Yale College Council events director. 

A Pierson College resident hailing from Texas City, Texas, Carter is an environmental studies and archaeological studies major, as well as part of several on-campus organizations such as The Environmentalist publication, Chi Alpha and sustainability projects like “GREENatYale,” an action-based sustainability group on campus. 

“I want to be involved in the making and planning of the events that students will look back on in 20 years when they think of their time at college,” she said. 

Carter is currently a member of the Sophomore Class Council, where she works to plan events for the class of 2024. She said this experience has prepared her to plan events, and that she wants to take on broader responsibilities.

Carter plans to achieve her goals as events director next year through four “crucial” markers: improved attendance at on campus events, increased student input for events and Spring Fling decisions, a more open line of communication between the YCC and campus organizations and a greater number of meaningful student activities. 

“My main focus will be to listen to student voices,” Carter said. “I am there as an elected official to ensure that student voices are being heard and events are happening on campus as they are promised. I am not there to micromanage the events of each individual committee which has its own leadership structure and teams.”

She believes that her job would be to encourage and “push” each team to achieve excellence and overall to focus on the “bigger picture” of various YCC events. She added that the most important skills for an Events Director are task management and an ability to delegate.

According to the YCC’s descriptions for the roles and responsibilities of the events director, the person in that role is in charge of the YCC’s Events Branch, which includes the Events Committee, the First Year Class Council, the Junior Class Council, the Sophomore Class Council and the Spring Fling Committee. 

When asked about her plans for the next year, Carter mentioned that she wanted to utilize outdoor spaces for more study-breaks and “mindful-wellness focus” during warmer months, but she also acknowledged that the loosening COVID-19 regulations could permit more “indoor social events.” 

The winter months at Yale can feel “particularly isolating,” Carter said. She hopes to encourage continued social activity during the winter as campus returns to a “semi-pre-COVID-normal.” 

In the hope that campus returns to a less COVID-restricted state next year, Carter believes that the YCC should take advantage of this and plan larger-scale, in-person events to encourage socialization among Yalies. Even so, she said that the often changing COVID-19 protocols have taught her how to be “flexible and accommodating,” so she will be sure to continue planning hybrid or online events in addition to in-person events. 

While campaigning, Carter said she has focused on revealing as much information about her plans as she can and has primarily been using social media to do so. 

“I am really just trying to make sure that as many people as possible know that I am a student who is running for YCC Events Coordinator because I want to ensure that everyone’s ideas are heard and that campus is a fun place for all Yale students,” Carter said.

Voting for the YCC elections begins today, Thursday, April 21 at 9:00 a.m. on YaleConnect. 

PALOMA VIGIL
Paloma Vigil is the Arts Editor for the Yale Daily News. She previously served as a DEI co-chair and staff reporter for the University and Sports desks. Past coverage includes religious life, Yale College Council, sailing and gymnastics. Originally from Miami, she is a junior in Pauli Murray College majoring in Psychology and Political Science.