muscosportsphotos.com

As the spring season draws to a close, the Yale men’s and women’s golf teams are beginning to play closer to home. 

This weekend, both teams will travel to play against strong competitors. The women’s golf team will play at their penultimate tournament at the Hoya Invitational on the Woodmont North Golf Course from Saturday through Sunday. The men’s team will play the Princeton Invitational at the Springdale Golf Club on the same dates.

“We’re excited to play the Hoya Invitational because it’s the first tournament of the year that has the most amount of Ivy League schools playing,” Coco Chai ’23 said. “It’s the last tournament before [the] Ivy League Championship, so we’ll have a good idea of where we stand going into the championship after this tournament.”

Competitors at the Hoya Invitational will include No. 85 Princeton, No. 127 Columbia, No. 157 Harvard and No. 167 University of Pennsylvania. These rankings come from an April 5 Golfstat report, in which the Bulldogs were listed at No. 75 nationally among NCAA Division I golf squads — making them the highest-ranked Ancient Eight squad.  

In recent weeks, the Bulldogs have posted competitive results. After winning the Ford Invitational in Georgia by placing first with a score of 585, the Bulldogs have earned two top-five finishes. The two fourth-place results came at the Low Country Intercollegiate in South Carolina during the weekend of March 14 and the Chattanooga Classic in Tennessee during the spring break weekend of March 21. 

“Woodmont, the course we are playing at the Hoya Invitational will be a really good track for our team as we have a strong game off the tee as well as around the greens,” captain Ami Gianchandani ’23 wrote to the News. “This will definitely be one of the most challenging courses we will play this year, but we are up for the test and excited to cap off our regular season this weekend and start preparing for the Ivy League Championship.”

The Ivy League Championship, the Bulldog’s final event of the season, will take place in Ringoes, New Jersey on April 22 through April 24.

The men’s team still have three competitions left in their season, including the Princeton Invitational, hosted by the eponymous Ivy, where they will face off against No. 152 Harvard, No. 193 Princeton, No. 201 Columbia, No. 239 Dartmouth and No. 263 University of Pennsylvania. According to an April 6 Golfstat report, the Bulldogs are currently ranked No. 166 nationally.

Gabriel Ruiz ’24 noted that he is “excited for Princeton” and that with the forecasted good weather, it “should be a great weekend.”

Over spring break, the Bulldogs tied with UC Irvine for sixth place at the UC San Diego Invitational on Monday, March 21 and Tuesday, March 22. The Bulldogs were one of two East Coast schools present at the competition and played this event two weeks after placing 12th at the Wake Forest Invitational in North Carolina. 

The men’s next competition will be the home Yale Invitational next Saturday, April 16.

HAMERA SHABBIR
Hamera Shabbir covers golf and fencing for the Sports desk and the School of the Environment for the Science and Technology desk. Originally from California's Central Valley, she is a sophomore in Branford College majoring in Environmental Studies.