muscosportsphotos.com

MEN’S BASKETBALL (19–11, 11–3 Ivy)

Tim Tai, Staff Photographer

For the third season in a row and fourth time since 2016, the Bulldogs were crowned Ivy League champions. After taking down Penn and Princeton in the Ivy Madness tournament, Yale is off to the first round of March Madness. In 2016, Yale upset Baylor, 79–75, for its first March Madness victory in program history but ultimately fell to Duke in the second round. The 2019 tournament saw the Elis stumble against LSU in the Round of 64. Headlined by guards Azar Swain ’22 and Jalen Gabbidon ’22, the Elis will hope to turn heads and upset bracket predictions. 

The No. 14 Bulldogs will take on No. 3 Purdue on Friday, March 18 at 2:00 p.m. ET at Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee, WI — home of the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks. If the Elis top the Boilermakers, they will play either Texas or Virginia Tech on March 20. 

WOMEN’S HOCKEY (26–8–1, 16–5–1 ECAC)

muscosportsphotos.com

The Yale women’s hockey team will look to cap off its record-breaking season this weekend with a national championship. This is head coach Mark Bolding’s second season with the Bulldogs. Under his watch, the program has seen exponential growth. This year saw the Elis’ first 20-win season, their first hosting of the ECAC tournament and their first national tournament bid. The Bulldogs have been in the USCHO top-10 poll every week since Nov. 15.

The quarterfinals in the national tournament saw No. 5 Yale and No. 4 Colgate butt heads in a rematch of the ECAC title game. Tess Dettling ’22 secured the overtime victory to send the Blue and White to the Frozen Four for the first time in program history. The puck will drop between the Bulldogs and the Buckeyes on Friday, March 18 at 7:00 p.m. in University Park, PA. The winner will face either Northeastern or Minnesota-Duluth on March 20 at 4:00 p.m.

GYMNASTICS

muscosportsphotos.com

In the inaugural season of the Gymnastics East Conference, Yale is looking to make history as its first champion. The Blue and White are currently ranked second in the GEC standings behind fellow Penn. The last time the two faced off was last month when at the Yale-hosted Ivy Classic. There, the Bulldogs posted a season-high score of 195.050 to top the Quakers. To claim the GEC title, the Elis will have to pull off another upset this weekend. Lindsay Chia ’22 has been ripping up the gym this season in all events, especially on the balance beam.

The Bulldogs will compete against Penn, Brown and West Chester in the second session of the GEC championships on March 19 at 6:00 p.m. in Providence, RI.

WOMEN’S SWIMMING AND DIVING (9–0, 7–0 Ivy)

Yale Athletics

Sprinting phenom Iszac Henig ’23 punched his ticket to the NCAA Championships in three events: the 50 and 100-yard freestyle, and the 100 butterfly. Despite the team’s second place overall behind Harvard at the Ivy Championships last month, Henig turned some heads, winning the 50 free and two relay races: the 200 freestyle relay with Lindsey Wagner ’23, Ophelia Pilkinton ’23 and Marissa Healy ’23 and the 400 medley relay with Wagner, Marykate Buckley ’23 and Alex Massey ’25. The national championships will take place in Atlanta, GA from March 16 to 19. 

FENCING

Yale Athletics

After six top-10 finishes for the Bulldogs at the Northeast regionals last weekend, seven Yale fencers will head to South Bend, IN for the NCAA fencing national championship. Safi Haider ’22 will be the only épéeist from Yale competing. The senior placed fifth in regionals. In foil, two men — Earnest Chen ’22 and Maxwell Yee ’23 — and two women — Emme Zhou ’23 and Helen Tan ’25 — will represent the Blue and White. Zhou finished fourth at the regional tournament while Chen secured eighth position. Sydney Hirsch ’24 and Stephanie Cao ’25 will also head to Indiana to compete in the women’s sabre tournament. Hirsch and Cao both reached the podium, placing fourth and seventh, respectively. 

Notre Dame will host the country’s 144 top collegiate fencers — 24 from each weapon — at the national tournament March 24-27. 

TRACK AND FIELD

Yale Athletics

After a successful indoor season, the Yale track teams will be heading outside for the spring season. Cross country captain Kayley DeLay ’22 impressed, earning her second All-American honor of the year. Her top-10 finish in the 6 kilometer race at the NCAA Cross Country Championships earned her the first All-American title for Yale since 2007. At the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships last weekend, DeLay placed 15th in the 5 kilometer race, good enough for another All-American title.

The outdoor track season will see more events than the winter indoor season. Throwing events like the javelin and discus will make a return while the runners will race in the steeplechase. The Bulldogs will open their outdoor season in Raleigh, NC at the Raleigh Relays on March 24.

MEN’S LACROSSE (3–1, 0–0 Ivy)

Yale Athletics

The No. 11 Elis will open their Ivy League season over break. In its last two seasons, Yale has advanced to the national championship, securing the title in 2018. This season has started on a rougher note, however, with a defeat to Penn State in the second week of the season shining some doubt on the Elis. Six Ivies currently rank in the nation’s top 20 with Yale behind No. 3 Princeton, No. 4 Cornell and No. 6 Penn. With the beginning of conference play, the Elis will need to prove that the Penn State loss was an anomaly. A star-studded roster — including attacker Matt Brandau ’23 with 15 goals and 23 points across four games — will hope to bounce back and improve its record in Ivy play.

The Bulldogs’ Ivy opener will be against Cornell (5–0, 0–0) on March 19 at noon in Ithaca. The weekend after, Yale will host Princeton (4–1, 0–0) for a 3:30 p.m. faceoff on March 26.

WOMEN’S LACROSSE (4–1, 1–0 Ivy)

muscosportsphotos.com

Only No. 1 Boston College has been able to take down the Bulldogs so far this season. They will face their second ranked opponent in No. 16 Notre Dame (3–5, 1–2 ACC) this weekend. Despite their losing record, the Fighting Irish find themselves in the latest Inside Lacrosse poll because their conference opponents in the ACC — which includes Boston College — are also some of the best in the country. The Elis will continue their Ivy schedule during the second weekend of break with a match against Penn (2–4, 0–1). The Quakers have also seen tough teams in the early weeks of the season, including four nationally-ranked opponents. Both teams have been putting out a similar quality of play so far, so their meeting is expected to be close. 

The Elis and the Irish will meet on neutral territory in Naples, FL on March 20 at noon. Yale will play its first home game in four weeks when it takes on Penn on March 26 at noon. 

WOMEN’S ROWING

Yale Athletics

After medaling at the Head of the Charles Regatta at the end of the fall season, hopes are high for the spring. The Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association ranked the Bulldogs 12th in the country in its preseason poll. The spring season starts this weekend for the Elis as they travel south to participate in the Cardinal Classic hosted by Louisville. After they test the waters in Tennessee, the Bulldogs will race Michigan State and Iowa at the Ivy-Big Ten Double Dual. These meets will prepare the women’s rowing team for Ivy competition in the second half of the season. 

Louisville’s Cardinal Invitational will take place on Melton Lake in Oak Ridge, TN from March 19 to 20 while the Ivy-Big Ten Double Dual will be raced on the Cooper River in Camden, NJ on March 26.

SOFTBALL (2–8, 0–0 Ivy)

Yale Athletics

After a tough early start to the season at the San Diego Classic and Bear Down Fiesta tournaments, the Bulldogs are ready to start the conference season on a clean slate. Yale will return home for the first game at DeWitt Family Stadium since 2019 this weekend to start its three-game series with Harvard (6–10, 0–0). Both of these teams have found trouble against Marist this season. The Bulldogs fell to the Red Foxes 9–0 and 8–6 last weekend while the Crimson split the series with a 10–1 loss and 4–1 victory in their opening weekend. 

The Elis will only have two rest days before taking to the diamond again to face Central Connecticut (0–16, 0–0 NEC) in a double-header on Wednesday. Yale’s busy schedule will continue into the weekend as it travels to Hanover to play Dartmouth (2–8, 0–0).

Yale’s home opener with Harvard will take place on March 18. The first pitches for the double-header will be at 1:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. The final game of the series will be on Sunday, March 20 at 12:30 p.m. The Bulldogs will continue their homestand when they take on the Blue Devils for a double-header on March 23. Dartmouth will host Yale for a Saturday double-header at 12:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. on March 26. The series finale will be on March 27 at noon. 

BASEBALL (6–4, 0–0 Ivy)

Yale Athletics

The Elis will look to continue their four-game winning streak over spring break as they travel to the West Coast to face California Baptist (11–4, 2–4 WAC) for a three-game series. This cross-country trip will be the Elis’ last this season as their Ivy-heavy schedule in the second half keeps them in the Northeast. Yale will then come back to New Haven for a one-game homestand against cross-town rival Quinnipiac (4–8, 0–0 MAAC) on Wednesday.

Yale will head south to Princeton (0–11, 0–0) for their Ivy opener the following weekend. The Bulldogs were projected to finish first in the conference according to the Ivy League preseason poll. Princeton has yet to break into the win column this season, but a home-field advantage could work in its favor. While the Bulldogs may be tired off a Wednesday game, the Tigers will have a full week of rest going into their first conference matchup.

The Bulldogs will take the Lancers on March 17, 18 and 19 at 9:00, 8:00 and 13:00 p.m. ET, respectively. Yale’s midweek stint against Quinnipiac will be on Wednesday, March 23 at 3:00 p.m. The Bulldogs and Tigers will start their Ivy season on March 26 and 27. The Saturday double-header is scheduled to start at 11:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. The first pitch will be thrown at the final game of the series on Sunday at noon.

SAILING

Melanie Heller, Staff Photographer

The co-ed and women’s sailing teams — both ranked No. 1 in the country — will continue their spring season with five regattas over spring break. On the weekend of March 19-20, the Bulldogs will focus their attention on the Graham Hall Team Race hosted by the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. In the 2019 iteration of the race, Yale took home the gold after winning 14 of their 15 total races. 

The following weekend — March 26 to 27 — the teams will sail across the eastern seaboard with four different competitions. To the north, the Bulldogs will compete for the Friis Trophy at Roger Williams in Bristol, RI. They will also take to the Charles River for the Boston University Team Race. To the south, the women’s team will sail at St. Mary’s Seahawk Team Race in Maryland. Co-ed sailors will head even further down the coast to Old Dominion in Norfolk, VA to race at the Szambecki Team Race. Yale did not field boats at the last Szambecki or Seahawk races, but placed first at Friis and second at BU the last time these teams raced in 2019. Every weekend this year, Yale has won at least one regatta. The women’s team has placed first in all but two races. 

GOLF

muscosportsphotos.com

Coming off a victory at the Ford Invitational last month, the women’s golf team is hungry for more wins and will compete in two more tournaments over break. From March 19 to 20, the Bulldogs will play at the Moss Creek Golf Course on Hilton Head Island, SC at the Low Country Intercollegiate. They will hope to keep the ball rolling at the Chattanooga Invitational at the Fire Council Golf Club in Tennessee. Meanwhile, the men’s golf team will travel out to Southern California to play at the UC San Diego Invitational at the Las Costas Champions course.

MEN’S (8–4, 0–0 Ivy) AND WOMENS (6–6, 0–0 Ivy) TENNIS

muscosportsphotos.com

The Bulldogs will be heading to warmer climates to play their final non conference matches over the next couple of weeks. 

The women’s team will travel south to Florida to play Florida Atlantic (10–7, 0–0 C-USA), Florida International (10–2, 0–0 C-USA) and Central Florida (7–6, 0–0 AAC). The Elis will face the Owls on March 20 at 11:00 a.m., the Panthers on March 22 at noon and the Knights on March 24 at 5:00 p.m. The Bulldogs will return to New England in time to take on Stony Brook (3–6, 0–0 MVC) on Sunday, March 27 at 1:00 p.m. Despite playing from home, the Bulldogs may be tired from their long week in Florida and will only have had two rest days since their last matches. The Seawolves haven’t played a game since March 5 and should be well-rested. 

Meanwhile, the men will travel to the Golden State to play UC-Berkeley (7–3, 1–0 Pac-12), St. Mary’s (2–8, 1–0 WCC) and Santa Clara (4–6, 0–0 WCC). Between the three-hour time difference and the rapid-fire pace of three matches across four days, the Elis will be exhausted by the end of their trip. Heading into their matchups with Yale, both SMC and UCSC will have had over a week since their last competitions. The energy disparity between the Elis and their opponents will place the Blue and White in a precarious position. The challenge will be sure to set Yale up for an exciting Ivy League season. 

MELANIE HELLER
Melanie Heller currently serves as the Sports Editor for the Yale Daily News. She previously reported on women's hockey. Originally from Potomac, MD, she is a senior in Silliman College double majoring in Economics and Humanities.