Yale Daily News

Yale alum Phoebe Staenz ’17 led the Swiss women’s hockey team through the 2022 Beijing Olympics with silky stick skills and quick-fire energy. 

Staenz’s goal against the Russian Olympic Committee helped earn Switzerland’s spot in the semifinals, but the Swiss subsequently fell 10–3 to the Canadians in the semifinals to bump them to the bronze medal game. The team (2–5) sought their second win over Finland (3–4) in Beijing Wednesday night — an early-morning game for those watching on the American east coast — in a competitive bronze medal matchup. Switzerland topped the Finns 3–2 in the group stages but came up short, losing 4–0 in the bronze medal game. Finland goaltender Anni Keisala propelled the Finns to dominate the second and third periods despite a strong start from the Swiss with 15 saves after 60 minutes, nine of which were in the first period. 

Finnish skaters Vivi Vainikka, Susanna Tapani, Neili Laitinen and Michelle Karvinen all netted goals Wednesday. Tapani’s short-handed goal early in the third period to bring the lead to two was a crucial turning point in the game that made it difficult for Switzerland to reply. 

The past three Olympic Games have seen either Switzerland or Finland vying for the number three spot in the world behind the U.S. and Canada — Finland won the bronze in 2018 and Switzerland in 2014. The intensity of the bronze medal game in 2022 was a testament to this rivalry as the sides solidified themselves as top talent in Europe, seeking to eventually knock America and Canada from their throne. 

“You can’t give them that momentum because they’re just like sharks when they smell blood. And when they taste it, they’re going,” Switzerland head coach Colin Muller told the Associated Press of the stacked Canadian lineup. 

Staenz’s frequent presence on the ice — over 23 minutes on the starting line during the bronze medal matchup with Finland — showed her importance for the Swiss team. Although they ultimately came up short, they can be proud of the efforts they made to get them in fourth position in the tournament. 

“The emotions are really high. It’s just so beautiful. That’s what we’ve worked for every day, years and years,” Swiss captain Alina Muller told NBC after the win against ROC. “In the end it paid off.” 

Staenz, a professional player for Leksands IF Dam of the Swedish Women’s Hockey League, proved she is worthy of making the roster in her third Olympic Games. At 28 years old, Staenz will likely have an opportunity to compete in the 2026 games, which would see her join an elite group of athletes who have competed in four different Olympics. 

In her time at Yale, Staenz notched up 41 career goals and 50 assists in just 90 games, putting her in the top ten in career goals, assists and total points categories for Yale women’s hockey. 

“This was a pretty perfect matchup going into the gold-medal game,” Canadian forward Sarah Nurse said to the New York Times. “We wanted to face adversity today, and I think the Swiss played us well.”

The Swiss women’s hockey team has only won one Olympic medal in their history, a bronze in 2014. 

LOGAN SULLIVAN