Courtesy of Yvonne Ho

As October break came to an end, students returned to campus — with snacks from home in hand — and prepared for classes to resume on Oct. 25.

Yale students spread across the country and beyond it as some went back to their hometowns, some stayed in New Haven and others ventured to far-flung coasts. Students packed trips, events and fun into the five-day break to relax and relieve some of the stress accumulated so far this semester. Lizbeth Lozano ’25, for one, went on the Yale Chaplain’s retreat, headed to New York City and hiked East Rock with friends.

“I had a very relaxing break!” Lozano told the News. “At the Chaplain’s retreat, we actually weren’t allowed to talk about Yale, which was pretty refreshing to not think about. New York was busy and lively, but I still felt stress-free not worrying about schoolwork or anything else. It was fun getting to hang out with friends outside of the place we’ve spent the past two months!”

Some students, such as Julian Barrera ’25, decided to return home to reconnect with family and friends while making sure the break was restful and not filled with school work.

Barrera went back home to southern Texas, visited family, reconnected with friends and even took a trip to Mexico to see his distant relatives.

“During this October recess, I finally got Mexican snacks to bring back to Yale!” Barrera said. “I also finally got to eat authentic tacos from the taquerias in Mexico and I went to see my favorite Spanish-speaking band, Morat, play in NYC. I definitely reconnected with my home this break!”

For others, the time off was spent rewinding, healing and preparing. Some students did not travel at all.

Staying in New Haven, relaxing in residential colleges and reconnecting with hobbies was equally as fulfilling, according to Kylie Volavongsa ’25.

“I basically turned into a tradwife which is to say I cleaned my sheets, laundry, dishes, and babysat someones fish,” Volavongsa said. “I also used this time to buy and read more books and I even wrote a little poetry. I also slept healthily, but prepared my Red Bull tropical edition stock for the coming weeks.” 

This five day break from classes was considered a catch-up period for others. With midterms ongoing, papers assigned, non-stop problem sets and chunks of readings, some students needed this small break to catch up on work, get ahead in classes or study intensely. The “Yale Actual Weekly News,” an Instagram humor account, uploaded a satire post saying “Girl Accidentally Takes 3 Day Break During Fall Catch Up Time” on Oct. 22.

Volavongsa added that she feels most students are ready to get back to classes as the “final hustle” before the holiday season begins.

Yale’s October recess took place from Oct. 19 to 24.

YAKELEEN ALMAZAN