Anasthasia Shilov, Illustrations Editor and Zully Arias, Production & Design Editor

“Behind the Venue” is a series of feature-form articles that dives into the history, character and most memorable moments of Yale’s various athletic forums — from stadiums and fields to pools and boathouses. While not all articles in the series will resemble one another, all attempt to take a deeper look into how these places came to be and how they have fared over time. This article is the 11th in the series.

Since its opening in 1928, Coxe Cage has served as the home of Yale men’s and women’s track and field.

With an oval track, eight interior sprinting lanes, a sand pit, a pole vault and more, the facility supports competition for all running and field events, including throwing events like the shot put. Charles Edmund Coxe, the namesake for Coxe Cage, was a hammer thrower who graduated from Yale in 1883. Coxe later donated $300,000 to the University for the project with the intention of the completed construction being named after him, and his name has become synonymous with one of the most historic venues in the sport.

Many athletes today consider it to be one of the most lively indoor track and field facilities in the country.

“So many people are bustling around, and there are races happening every few minutes,” sprinter Lauren Stavig ’22 said. “There are also jumpers jumping, athletes warming up, spectators cheering on competitors and other activity constantly happening. You can literally feel the adrenaline.”

The News called the new surface at Coxe Cage “revolutionary” after a $1.9 million upgrade in 1982. (Photo: Yale Daily News)

Renovations to Coxe Cage

Coxe Cage has undergone two major renovations since the early 1980s to allow athletes to continue to use one of the most historic track and field facilities in the country. In 1982, Coxe Cage underwent a $1.9 million facelift that transformed the building. The 1982 renovation also involved the installation of a new track that the New York Times hailed as “one of the world’s fastest” — the addition of the En-tout-cas oval and infield was a hallmark feature of the renovation, and the mounting of the track allowed runners to train with less strain. Later, in 1988, Yale added another track within the Cage.

After a long period of wear and tear, the facility required another upgrade in the mid 2000s. The 2005 renovation, which made the track banked with an incline, was funded with a donation from Donald Roberts ’57. Roberts proceeded to name the track within Coxe Cage after Frank Shorter ’69.

Shorter, a legend within the United States running community whom Runner’s World called “the father of the modern running boom” in a 2018 profile, served as a Yale cross country captain as a student and captured two Olympic medals, including gold in the marathon at the 1972 Munich games. A 1984 inductee into the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame, he remains the only American athlete to win two medals in the Olympic marathon event.

“Yale does a great deal of community outreach with the [Coxe] Cage, and I hope this will enhance the effort,” Roberts said at the dedication in February 2005, during which Shorter also ran a commemorative solo lap around the track. “Frank Shorter is one of Yale’s great athletic heroes, and this is a great way to honor him.”

Coxe Cage: A Runner's Paradise

A trademark skylight and a speedy track

The Cage has gone through numerous renovations and projects over the years, but two things have remained consistent: Coxe’s iconic skylight and the banked track’s trademark speed. When Yale first opened the facility in the 1920s, its half-mile relay team ran an exhibition race in 1:32.4, a mark that was better than any previous indoor time.

Yale’s Director of Track and Field and Cross Country David Shoehalter said he ran his fastest times as a former student-athlete at Penn when he raced at Coxe Cage.

“I probably ran 15 races here,” Shoehalter