Courtesy of CT State Senate Democrats

Incumbent State Senator Gary Winfield, representing the 10th district, was elected to a fifth term on Tuesday night.

The New Haven Independent called the race, announcing Winfield as the victor over his Republican challenger, 30-year West Haven resident Carlos Alvarado. Democrat Jason Barlett also petitioned onto the general election ballot after an unsuccessful primary challenge against Winfield. WTNH News 8 reported that Winfield led with 77.5 percent of the vote with 48 percent of precincts reporting as of 3:00 p.m. Wednesday. 

Winfield began his tenure with the Connecticut General Assembly in 2014, and he serves as chair of the Senate’s Judiciary Committee. Prior to his tenure in the Senate, he served three terms in the state House of Representatives. 

Though he is currently a New Haven resident, Winfield is originally from the Bronx. Winfield has been a leading voice for police reform in the Senate. He has pushed for measures such as reducing police use of force, increased body cam usage and raising the age for trying juveniles as adults. 

According to election organization Ballotpedia, Connecticut state senators represent an average of 99,280 residents.

Thomas Birmingham | thomas.birmingham@yale.edu

Update, Nov. 4 at 3:00 p.m.: The story has been updated to reflect the latest polling data.

THOMAS BIRMINGHAM