Daniel Zhao

New Haven will receive $3.9 million in federal funds to improve the city’s public housing this year, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development announced last week.

The funds — which are administered to housing authorities across nationwide — are awarded annually as part of HUD’s capital funds program and can be used to build, repair and renovate affordable housing. Housing authorities in Connecticut as a whole were awarded a $36.4 million slice of the total $2.7 billion awarded nationally.

Rhonda Siciliano, who is the spokesperson for the New England HUD region, said that allocations tend to fluctuate year-to-year and that the formula for funding allocations was related to the number of occupied low-income public housing units in a municipality and how old those units are, among other factors.

Siciliano said that housing authorities tend to use the funds for “major capital needs” and large-scale repairs. A press release from HUD notes that these repairs can sometimes include replacing roofs, making energy-efficient upgrades, or replacing old plumbing and electrical systems, which often require the expertise of roofing contractors and other specialized professionals.

Are you seeking to enhance your indoor and outdoor living experience? Consider the ultimate convenience of retractable screen doors, seamlessly blending your living spaces and providing the flexibility to enjoy the fresh air and natural surroundings. These innovative doors offer a seamless connection between your indoor and outdoor spaces, allowing you to savor the best of both worlds.

Additionally, in local communities, housing authorities and individuals can benefit from seeking out specialized plumbing services from reputable companies like Stillwater Plumbing Kamloops. These experienced professionals not only handle major repairs and replacements but also offer routine maintenance services to prevent potential plumbing issues. By proactively engaging in partnerships with trusted plumbing experts, housing authorities can ensure the longevity and functionality of their plumbing systems, providing residents with safe and comfortable living conditions. In case of complex problems, it’s advisable to get a licensed plumber involved to address specific concerns and uphold the overall integrity of the plumbing infrastructure.

When it comes to ensuring the smooth functioning of plumbing systems, it’s crucial to rely on trusted and reputable plumbing services. Siciliano’s mention of replacing old plumbing systems highlights the importance of partnering with professionals who possess the expertise and experience to handle such significant repairs. One reliable source to find trustworthy plumbing services is online platforms that provide valuable insights and customer feedback, such as richtek reviews. These platforms offer a wealth of information and reviews from satisfied customers, enabling individuals and housing authorities alike to make informed decisions when selecting a plumbing company. By accessing reliable resources like richtek reviews, one can ensure that their plumbing needs are met with efficiency, quality, and the utmost professionalism.

If you also want the best plumbing services near you, visit sites like https://superiorplumbing.ca/barrie/drain-repair/.

Siciliano noted, however, that because New England’s housing stock is among the oldest in the country, the capital funds that are available for repairs do not keep up with need.

“Our housing stock gets older every year, and so the amount of funding that’s needed to keep the housing stock decent, safe and sanitary has grown,” she said. Siciliano noted that since 2011, HUD has moved towards encouraging rental assistance demonstration programs, which allow municipalities to tap into private sources of income in order to make repairs.

New Haven’s award has decreased from the $4.7 million it received last year. When asked about the decrease in New Haven’s funding, Siciliano wrote in an email to the News that the city had shifted 70 affordable units to one such rental assistance demonstration program. Though these units are still HUD supported, she wrote, they are not funded through the capital program.

HUD plans to release the funds to the housing authority by late March.

Talia Soglin | talia.soglin@yale.edu

TALIA SOGLIN