Courtesy of Eli Sabin

The Yale College Democrats on Sunday endorsed Eli Sabin ’22, who is running against Republican Chris Marcisz to represent the overwhelmingly-Yale Ward 1 on the Board of Alders.

Sabin entered the race over the summer after outgoing Ward 1 Alder Hacibey Catalbasoglu ’19 announced that he would not be seeking a second term. As the only Democrat vying for the position, Sabin automatically advanced to the general election after September’s Democratic primary. Next Tuesday, he will face off against Marcisz, a seven-year resident of Ward 1 running on a platform of “cleaning the Green” and improving the Elm City’s public safety infrastructure. Last year, Sabin was a member of the Yale College Democrats and served as the organization’s communications director from January until June, when he announced his bid for Ward 1.

“I’m incredibly excited to have the support of the Yale College Democrats,” Sabin told the News in an interview. “I’m really grateful for their endorsement and also for all the hard work that they do in New Haven and across the country to help elect really strong, progressive Democrats.”

The Dems’ endorsement adds to the slew of individuals and organizations backing Sabin’s campaign. To date, Sabin has earned the support of New Haven State Rep. Juan Candelaria, New Haven State Rep. Robyn Porter, the Connecticut Young Democrats, the Working Families Party, Run for Something and the New Haven Democratic Town Committee, among others.

Dems President Timothy White ’20 told the News that the group is excited to endorse Sabin because of his New Haven roots, progressive policies and record of public service. Sabin has served as the Ward 1 co-chair on the Democratic Town Committee, as the co-director of the Connecticut General Assembly Progressive Caucus and as a member of the city’s Homeless Advisory Board, among other positions in New Haven and Hartford.

“Born and raised in New Haven, Eli will fight to increase affordable housing, improve the education system, and hold Yale accountable to the city,” the Dems’ endorsement stated. “He is on the ballot on November 5th, running against a Republican candidate whose campaign is based on harmful policy on issues including immigration, economic mobility and climate change.”

Marcisz did not immediately respond to request for comment.

When asked why the Dems waited until one week before the general election to endorse Sabin — the only Democrat in the race — White told the News that the group prioritized the hotly contested mayoral election in its primary endorsement considerations, given that Sabin would automatically advance to the general. He also noted that the group provides members the opportunity to speak with candidates before making endorsements. Sabin met with the Dems last week.

The general election will be held next week on Tuesday, Nov. 5. New Haven voters must register by mail, online or in person by Tuesday, Oct. 29. Voters who are unable to register by today’s deadline may be able to register in person on election day.

Mackenzie Hawkins | mackenzie.hawkins@yale.edu

MACKENZIE HAWKINS
Mackenzie is the editor in chief and president of the Managing Board of 2022. She previously covered City Hall for the News, including the 2019 mayoral race and New Haven's early pandemic response. Originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, she is a junior in Trumbull College studying ethics, politics and economics.