Yale News

“The most powerful woman in startups,” according to Forbes, is about to take her place on the Yale Corporation.

Earlier this month, University alumni elected venture capital investor Ann Miura-Ko ’98 as an alumni fellow to the Corporation through an international balloting process.

Miura-Ko is a founding partner of Floodgate — a venture capital firm that helped boost companies like Lyft, Twitter and Twitch. In the past years, her name appeared on the Forbes Midas List and the New York Times list of top 20 venture capitalists. At Yale, Miura-Ko majored in electrical engineering and was the business manager of her a capella group Proof of the Pudding. She will begin her 6-year term on July 1.

“[Miura-Ko’s] demonstrated dedication to the University’s mission, her experience helping organizations flourish, and her commitment to mentoring the next generation of innovators will be of great benefit to Yale,” University President Peter Salovey said in an email to the News. “I am grateful to Ann for taking on this important role and look forward to working with her over the next six years.”

As one of the six alumni fellows on the Yale Corporation, Miura-Ko will help review the University’s academic, administrative and financial priorities and decisions. Prior to her appointment to the Corporation, Miura-Ko served on the School of Engineering & Applied Science Leadership Council and as a non-trustee member of the Investment Committee.

Senior trustee Catharine Bond Hill GRD’85 told the News that Miura-Ko’s expertise will be particularly helpful as the University implements the recommendations of the University Science Strategy Committee in the coming years. In November, Salovey vowed to invest in the five “top priority” STEM areas identified by the USSC committee last June.

In a statement to the News, Miura-Ko emphasized that the education and experiences she had at Yale were “the foundation upon which [her] career is based.” She called herself a “beneficiary of financial aid and generous alumni and school support” for her senior research project in robotics”and touted Yale’s financial aid policies.

“I always felt enriched by the incredible student body around me,” Miura-Ko said. “To this day, my incredible friends from Yale pursue a diverse set of interests including politics, education, research, finance, medicine, and technology. I value this rich heritage of perspectives and backgrounds and look forward to serving an institution that has given me so much.”

Miura-Ko and her husband, Albert Ko ’98, live with their three children in the Bay Area.

Skakel McCooey | skakel.mccooey@yale.edu

Serena Cho | serena.cho@yale.edu

SKAKEL MCCOOEY
SERENA CHO