Madelyn Kumar

Yale College admitted 2,178 students to the class of 2023 from a record pool of 36,843, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions announced on Thursday.

The number of admitted students represents 5.91 percent of applicants for both early action and regular decision. This number is the lowest in recent years — 6.31 percent of applicants were admitted to the class of 2022, 6.90 to the class of 2021 and 6.26 to the class of 2020. Admitted students come from all 50 states, as well as from Washington D.C., Puerto Rico and 63 countries. In keeping with recent trends, the proportion of applicants and admitted students who are members of a minority group or are first-generation college students increased.

Yale also offered a spot on the waiting list to 984 applicants this year, according to Dean of Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid Jeremiah Quinlan. As in the past, Quinlan said the Admissions Office does not know whether it will offer admission to any students on the waitlist, which is unranked.

“All of our admissions officers continue to be impressed with and humbled by the number of highly qualified applicants in our pool,” Quinlan said. “We’re thrilled that the expansion of Yale College has allowed us to offer admission to more high-achieving students from such a variety of backgrounds.”

This is the third expanded class admitted to Yale. The opening of the two new residential colleges in 2017 — named after Pauli Murray LAW ’65 and Benjamin Franklin — expanded each subsequent Yale College class by 200, from roughly 1,350 students to 1,550. Quinlan said that for the third year in a row, the admissions committee was able to select a larger class “without any significant changes to the holistic process.”

The press release, which announced the admission of the new class, touted Yale’s commitment to financial aid.

“My colleagues and I look forward to working with the admitted students to the class of 2023 to ensure that cost of attendance is not a barrier for any admitted student when considering Yale,” said Director of Undergraduate Financial Aid Scott Wallace-Juedes.

Admitted students will be invited to Bulldog Days, which will run between April 15 and 17, and to Bulldog Saturday on April 20. The events are designed to showcase what Yale has to offer to prospective students.

Skakel McCooey | skakel.mccooey@yale.edu .

• Nancy Morris

This again. Yuck.

At least the excitement in the author is not palpable and the article is matter-of-fact.

Look, Stanford University, arguably the most selective institution of higher education in the United States, no longer reports its acceptance rate. Stanford used to publish details about the incoming class — including statistics regarding academic interests and geographic makeup — in a press release every spring. The university stopped reporting Early Action acceptance rates beginning with the class of 2021, and, starting with the class of 2023, ceased releasing admissions data altogether.

There are good reasons for all that, starting with the horrifying fact that a significant number of applicants actually allow acceptance rates to be significant factors in their choice of college. That is puerile. And stupid. And self-degrading.

There is the separate issue of feeling smug from knowing such things. Suffice to say that anyone who gets a shot of self esteem or importance from such a source is very much at risk, and cultivating such structural faults in one’s personality is not exactly a known path to enlightenment.

• yokel

Oh no!!! I didn’t get in!!! I’m doomed to fail in life. Woe is me. Blah…blah…blah. Thought for the day: it’s not where you go to school, it’s what you make of it. To those who got in, congrats. To the rest, you’ll do great things as well. In the long run, these types of headlines should be banned.

• Awal

A 984 person waiting list is absolutely preposterous, and the admissions office should be ashamed of itself for a variety of reasons. It gives false hope to applicants. I’m certain that, when “admitted” to the waiting list, the Admissions Office doesn’t tell those kids that “they’ve only taken an average of 4 kids off the waiting list over the past 10 years.” It’s also unfair to the schools from which the kids have already made “binding” commitments. It’s really no different that breaking the commitment with Early Action/Decision, and imagine how the Admissions Office would respond if you told them that you didn’t necessarily view that as binding. Calculating yield is not particularly difficult. Yale could admit the exact number of kids it needs without resorting to this preposterous waiting list. If they have 5 too many, or 5 too few, kids in a given year, it’s not going to make any difference.