As a second allegation of sexual misconduct emerges against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh ’87 LAW ’90, 1,200 female alumni have signed an open letter as of Monday evening in support of the two women and calling for a thorough investigation into the allegations.

The petition is in response to a second allegation of sexual misconduct from Deborah Ramirez ’87, who claimed in a Sunday New Yorker report that Kavanaugh exposed himself to her at a suite party and thrust his penis in her face in 1983. The offices of at least two Senate Democrats are now investigating the second allegation, according to the New Yorker. Some of Kavanaugh’s classmates told the News that the Supreme Court nominee surrounded himself in a social circle whose members, which included Ramirez, often engaged in partying and heavy drinking.

Rebecca Steinitz ’86, who helped draft and distribute the letter signed by over 1,000 alumni, said she and the other organizers had expected women from Yale to come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against Kavanaugh and wrote the letter in preparation for the news to break.

“The three of us had heard that there were some women from Yale who were considering coming forth with allegations against Brett Kavanaugh,” Steinitz said. “We wanted to support them because we knew that if they did come forward, life would be very difficult for them.”

Steinitz added that members of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity during the early 1980s were known for their heaving drinking and “saying a lot of derogatory things about women.” On Friday, the News reported that Kavanaugh’s fraternity waved a flag of women’s undergarments as part of their pledging process.

Kavanaugh flatly denied Ramirez’s claims in a statement to the New Yorker and said he looks forward to defending his name and “reputation for character and integrity” at a Senate hearing on Thursday.

“This alleged event from 35 years ago did not happen. The people who knew me then know that this did not happen and have said so,” Kavanaugh said in the statement. “This is a smear, plain and simple.”

Ramirez, who attended Yale with Kavanaugh, said the alleged incident occurred after she played a drinking game with classmates, including Kavanaugh, at a suite party in entryway B of Lawrance Hall on Old Campus. According to Ramirez’s account in the New Yorker, she became inebriated during the game, during which a male student pointed a gag plastic penis in her direction. Later in the night, another male student — whom Ramirez said was Kavanaugh — exposed his penis in front of her face. Other students looked on and laughed at her confusion, encouraging her to “kiss it,” according to Ramirez’s account.

Ramirez said she pushed the student away, touching his genitals in the process. Ramirez, who was raised a devout Catholic in Connecticut, told the New Yorker she “wasn’t going to touch a penis until I was married” and felt deeply humiliated after the incident.

“Somebody yelled down the hall, ‘Brett Kavanaugh just put his penis in Debbie’s face,’” Ramirez told the New Yorker. “It was his full name. I don’t think it was just ‘Brett.’ And I remember hearing and being mortified that this was out there.”

Ramirez, who now lives in Boulder, Colorado, serves as co-vice chair of the Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence, according to the organization’s website. According to the New Yorker, Ramirez hesitated at first to name Kavanaugh in the alleged incident, as she had “significant gaps” in her memory due to intoxication. However, after six days of assessing her memories and consulting with her attorney, Ramirez said she felt confident enough in her memories to share her story publicly. She is now urging the FBI to investigate her claim.

No eyewitnesses of the incident have confirmed that Kavanaugh was present at the party, according to the New Yorker.

Still, two classmates of Ramirez and Kavanaugh interviewed by the News said that her allegation against Kavanaugh seemed credible, considering the dominant drinking culture of the time.

Victoria Beach ’87, lived in the same entryway as Ramirez during their first year. While Beach said she did not know Kavanaugh and was unaware of the alleged incident, she always admired Ramirez as a “lovely and kind person.” Beach said that as an outsider, she always considered Ramirez’s group of friends at Yale — which partied often with Kavanaugh — as too kind to even “hurt a fly.”

“I could certainly see how they might even want to protect the guys they were going to parties with,” Beach told the News.

Karen Painter ’87, who lived in the same freshman dorm as Kavanaugh, recalled the “absolutely heinous amount of drinking” that occurred in their dorm building. Kavanaugh — a member of DKE and the secret all-male society Truth and Courage at Yale — belonged to a crowd notorious for heavy drinking, partying and pushing boundaries, Painter said.

“The awful thing is it isn’t even that shocking to me that [the alleged incident] happened,” Painter said.

The allegation fits into Kavanaugh’s “general trend” of disrespect toward women, according to Painter. She said her husband, who worked with Kavanaugh in George W. Bush’s ’68 administration, told her at the time that men in the White House would frequently use the term “eye candy” to describe female associates. In 2004, Kavanaugh married Ashley Estes, Bush’s personal secretary from the start of his presidency until 2004.

Still, Helen Rice ’87 disagreed with such a characterization of Kavanaugh. Rice said she did not know Kavanaugh and Ramirez as a first year but became a close friend of Kavanaugh after graduating from Yale. Rice emphasized that she holds Ramirez in high regard but that Kavanaugh is “literally the last person in the world I would expect to have these allegations” against him. Rice added that DKE and fraternities in general were “not a big deal” at Yale.

Ramirez’s allegation was published exactly one week after Christine Blasey Ford, a professor at Palo Alto University, accused Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her in the 1980s. The FBI is currently investigating Ford’s claim.

The second allegation has intensified calls for a third-party investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh. Dianne Feinstein, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, on Sunday urged the committee to cancel Kavanaugh’s scheduled hearing on Thursday until the FBI investigates both allegations.

50 Yale Law faculty members released a press statement on Friday calling for a “fair and deliberate” confirmation process.

Alice Park | alice.park@yale.edu

• Robert Boni
  • Andrew60035

Yale ’87 here. Finding out that Kavanaugh was in DKE lent a tremendous amount of credibility to Dr. Ford’s claim in my eyes. As someone who personally observed the behavior of DKE’s towards women (and in general) at the time, the fact that Kavanaugh chose to pledge brotherhood to them is a huge indictment of his judgment and character. Intelligent enough to get into Yale, but unethical enough to join DKE.

The letter drafted by Steinitz now has over 1,750 signatures. It’s worth pointing out that a sizable proportion of them are from women who were at Yale when Kavanaugh was.

• theonlyone

Sorry but as Ms. Rice said in the article, fraternities were not s big deal at Yale. I find the description of DKE as a group of wild party animals as simply not accurate.

• marymig

Yale admitted Kavanaugh twice. Apparently admission standards are flexible.

• Andrew60035

I was at Yale when Bret Kavanaugh was. When I found out this past week he was DKE, it only lent credence to the claims of his accusers. At the time when he pledged them and afterwards, they were renowned for their gross and sexist attitudes towards women. Perhaps that’s why so many female alumni from the 1980’s were among the very first to sign an open letter of support for Deborah Ramirez and Dr. Christine Blasey Ford. Their allegations need to be heard and investigated.

At a time when Yale had almost no fraternities, Bret Kavanaugh saw fit to pledge brotherhood to the most disreputable organization on campus. He was intelligent enough to get into Yale, but not ethical enough to stay out of DKE. I have grave reservations about him serving a lifetime appointment to the US Supreme Court.

• Nancy Morris

Over and over, there is no enthusiasm in these “witnesses” to speak under oath:

Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., who sits on the committee, said a lawyer for Ramirez told committee staff she would not speak to them about her allegation that Kavanaugh flashed his naked groin in her face during an alcohol-laden party their freshman year. Ramirez made the accusation in a blockbuster Sunday night New Yorker story.

“Our counsel repeatedly tried to reach him,” Kennedy said of Ramirez’s lawyer. “They finally did reached him, and he said we are not issuing a statement. He said if you want our statement, read the New Yorker.”

September 25, 2018

washingtonexaminer[dot]com/news/congress/gop-lawmaker-second-kavanaugh-accuser-refusing-to-talk-to-congress

• aaleli

What an embarrassment Yale has become. Women who were drunk, slurring and without clear memory accuse someone who may or may not have done something, that may or may not have been gross, but certainly not illegal, while the consumption of alcohol at THAT time for those under 21 WAS illegal. So who ACTUALLY broke the law AND disgraced herself? Arrest HER.

• ShadrachSmith

The search committee is doing great on accusers, it’s witness they can’t find.

At some point dirty tricks become counterproductive. If this is dirty tricks, justified or not?