Courtesy of It's Your Yale

John Barden, the former deputy chief information officer at the University of Rochester, has been hired as Yale’s new chief information officer and associate vice president of the University, Yale ITS announced Monday morning.

Barden, who officially joined Yale on March 1, succeeds Leonard Peters, who stepped down as CIO last September. Senior Vice President for Operations Jack Callahan ’80, who served as interim CIO, introduced Barden to Information Technology Services staff and IT partners at an IT town hall in February.

Yale’s CIO is responsible for overseeing and advancing all technology in support of teaching, learning, research and administration across the campus.   

Before coming to Yale, Barden spent 12 years at the University of Rochester, where he led teams in the information technology department. During his time at Rochester, Barden “significantly reshaped the methods associated with IT solution design and delivery,” according to the University of Rochester website.

In addition to leading the effort to create consistent project management methods, Barden and his team collaborated on projects such as the deployment of a cloud-based system for the university’s finances and the development of the university’s first online student portal.

Prior to his work at the University of Rochester, Barden spent 10 years as a technology consultant with the firms Andersen and BearingPoint. At those companies, Barden worked with other organizations in a variety of industries, including higher education, according to Monday’s announcement.

Barden earned his bachelor’s degree in economics and management from Albion College and M.B.A. from the Simon School of Business at the University of Rochester. He is joined in Connecticut by his wife, Polly Reeder, and their two children, Owen and Everett.

Barden did not respond to requests for comment Monday.

During the five-year tenure of Peters, Barden’s predecessor, ITS expanded its community outreach and interdisciplinary collaboration. ITS established the Center for Research Computing, which collaborates with Yale’s science departments and research laboratories to support the study of computer science. It also helped start an annual Yale Technology Summit, which is now in its third year, as well as an award-winning technology jobs and internships program that works with New Haven youth and adults.

Peters is now the CIO at New York University.

ZAINAB HAMID