Updated at 6:44 p.m.

Late Tuesday night, witnesses found a 19-year-old male homicide victim near the parking lot of an apartment building at 210 Davenport Avenue.

The victim, Maurice Richardson, was likely the intended target of the shooting, police said, according to information they received midday Wednesday.

In a press release Tuesday, New Haven Police Department spokesperson David Hartman said officers were dispatched to the area at 9:17 p.m. — around the same time Richardson was found — after receiving reports of gunfire. Witnesses,who pulled into the parking lot, saw the victim — a man in his late teens or early twenties — lying on the pavement. Officers called in EMTs and firefighters after arriving at Davenport Avenue. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hartman said that, as of 12:26 a.m. on Wednesday morning, detectives from the NHPD’s Major Crimes Division and Bureau of Investigation have arrived at the crime scene to interview potential witnesses and collect evidence.

Police have not yet released description of the suspect. Hartman added that anyone who has information regarding the case is urged to contact the police.

This homicide occurred less than a week after West Haven resident Antoine Heath was fatally shot in his car on Chapel Street.

SARA SEYMOUR