Yale University Properties has added another boutique store to The Shops at Yale with today’s opening of Canditopia, a bag-your-own candy and confectionary shop, at 1022 Chapel St.

The store is located above Sushi on Chapel in the space formerly occupied by Peter Indorf Jewelers, which closed in December after owner Peter Indorf retired. Offerings include chocolates, jelly beans, gummy candies and lollipops, as well as nut-free and gluten-free products, according to the press release.

Patrick O’Brien, marketing coordinator for UP, said in the release that he believes the store will fit very well into city, given New Haven’s sweet history — the city’s own Bradley-Smith Candy Company invented the lollipop in 1892.

Lauren Zucker, associate vice president of University Properties and director of New Haven affairs, said in the release that she believes the opening of the store will create jobs. She added that as a result of the University’s community investment program, Yale remains one of the largest tax payers in New Haven.

“I’m excited to open Canditopia at The Shops at Yale in New Haven,” said owner Kim Tran in the release. “As an independent business owner, I look forward to operating a great candy store for the City of New Haven residents and all of its many visitors to enjoy.”

The shop will offer a complimentary truffle for every $10 purchase to promote their opening.

In the past year, University Properties has opened more than seven new shops in New Haven, including Kiko Milano, Barbour, EmporiumDNA, and the Extra Virgin Olive Store.

CAROLINE HART