Following the discovery of four severed limbs — two legs and two arms — earlier this month, police officers found a human torso today at 274 Crown St.

New Haven Police Department spokesman David Hartman confirmed this afternoon that officers from city forensic investigators and state police found the torso around noon. The victim has not been identified, but the torso could have belonged to Ray Roberson, whose severed legs were discovered on July 15 close to the State Street train station.

A pair of arms found close by have not been identified as belonging to Roberson, although Hartman said the state Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection, Division of Scientific Services notified police that the two were likely connected. Hartman earlier said in a press conference that it would be “disturbing” if the two discoveries were not linked.

274 Crown St., where the torso was discovered, shares a parking lot with the now vacant Salvation Army building located at 301 George St. The building is known to be a place frequented by the city’s homeless. Yesterday, police received information that Roberson was one of those people, and they obtained a search warrant for the building and began to investigate around midnight.

Roberson was last seen alive on May 20.

STEPHANIE ADDENBROOKE