New Haven-based software company Square 9 will open a new, larger office downtown in June to accommodate increased staff and company growth, adding to a growing number of software and technology start-ups choosing to remain in the Elm City as they expand.

Founded nine years ago, Square 9 designs and sells document management software aimed at eliminating paper-based processes. The company’s management recently decided to move its office from 129 Church St. to 123 Church St. in a few months, tripling their office space from 10,000 square feet to 30,000 square feet. Square 9’s decision to keep its headquarters in the Elm City is the latest in a series of recent moves boosting the local start-up scene. Continuity Control, a financial technology company that offers a compliance management software platform for community banks and credit unions, also recently expanded its staff and resultantly moved to a larger office in the Elm City.

“New Haven has a vibrant tech community,” said Brian Banet, chief technology officer at Square 9. “Independent companies downtown attract a lot of technical talent.”

While the company’s headquarters are in New Haven, the company also has regional offices in Indianapolis, Indiana and Irvine, California.

Banet said his firm initially chose to set up shop in New Haven because of its proximity to both New York and Boston — cities considered to be hubs for software companies and start-ups. Banet added that many of the tech companies working out of The Grove have also flourished, creating a strong tech culture downtown.

The Grove, which originally started through the city organization Project Storefronts, is a collaborative workspace on Chapel Street that houses designers, entrepreneurs and engineers.

Krishna Sampath, who operates out of an office at The Grove, directs the A100 program, an apprenticeship program that trains aspiring software developers. He said that his program works directly with software and technology companies in the city to educate and provide employees. According to Sampath, A100 has worked with a number of local tech companies, including SeeClickFix and Prometheus, to offer job and training opportunities for the program’s apprentices.

He added that he believes his program helps support a strong structure of apprenticeship and internship in New Haven by hiring college and graduate students “to get them exposed to real world practices in terms of software development and its craft.”

Sampath also said organizations such as newhaven.io, a nonprofit confederation of developers from different companies, actively seek to promote collaboration among the New Haven tech community, incentivizing companies to continue to operate out of the Elm City.

Rohit Sharma, director of finance and innovation programs at the Economic Development Corporation of New Haven, also said New Haven has an abundance of highly educated human capital to feed into the many growing tech companies in the city.

Sharma added that although his organization does not have significant funds to devote to courting potential tech ventures, he still collaborates with prospective companies to help them search for working space. He added that one of the perks of tech companies settling in New Haven is its transportation system, with easily accessible trains to Boston and New York.

CAROLINE HART