Just when it seemed like spring had finally arrived, the Yale co-ed and women’s sailing teams found themselves coasting through snow this weekend on their way to top finishes at their respective regattas. The top-ranked co-ed team finished first for its fourth consecutive regatta at the Jan T. Friis Team Race while the No. 3 women’s team took home second at the Duplin Team Race.

On Saturday, the co-ed team traveled to Roger Williams University where the Bulldogs sailed against teams including No. 3 Boston College and No. 4 Navy. The Elis saw rain and snow throughout the first day of competition and managed to finish the regatta with an 11–3 record after going undefeated on Sunday in the top-six round. The delegation from Yale included skippers Graham Landy ’15, Ian Barrows ’17, Mitchell Kiss ’17 and Malcolm Lamphere ’18 and crews Katherine Gaumond ’15, Charlotte Belling ’16, Chandler Gregoire ’17, Meredith Megarry ’17, Clara Robertson ’17 and Christopher Champa ’18.

Landy noted that the Bulldogs focused on providing some of the newer members of the team with experience for the championship season later this year.

“I do think we carry a good bit of momentum forward,” Landy said. “More important than the momentum is increased confidence and repetition for some of our younger sailors … The four consecutive wins certainly validate our efforts in practice and [contribute] to a great team atmosphere at the moment.”

Also sailing over the weekend for the co-ed team were skippers Eric Anderson ’16 and Henry Lewis ’16 and crews Amelia Dobronyi ’17, Caroline Colwell ’18 and Chase Skoda ’17 at Southern Series No. 1 at Sacred Heart. In a day of sailing where races were cut short due to the weather, the delegation took fourth overall and Anderson, Dobronyi and Colwell finished first in the A division.

The women’s team also battled the elements this weekend at the Duplin Team Race, the only all-women’s team race regatta this season for the Bulldogs. The regatta was co-hosted by Brown and Tufts, and included highly ranked competition such as the No. 2 Boston College. The team consisted of skippers Marly Isler ’17, Casey Klingler ’18 and KB Knapp ’18 and crews Sarah Smith ’15, Natalya Doris ’17, Isabelle Rossi de Leon ’17 and Claire Huebner ’18.

“I think the tough conditions even made for more camaraderie among the sailors,” Smith said. “This is the only all women’s team race regatta of the season and is largely just for fun. The team had good communication on the water and was able to finish with a strong record, with only one loss in the second round robin.”

The Elis finished with a 14–4 record, losing against three teams in the first round and only dropping one in the second against the eventual champion and undefeated squad from Stanford. Yale also had the chance to try out new boats that will eventually be used at nationals in May. The team had been practicing primarily with Flying Junior boats this season, although they will later be using the new Z420s at nationals.

“We have just one more regatta before our New England team racing championship in two weeks, so it’s crucial that we keep building momentum by using each competition to capitalize on our strengths and identify our weaknesses,” Belling said. “This weekend, I was really impressed by our team’s ability to adjust to different roles and remain focused and enthusiastic despite the trying conditions … We have been training to be resilient competitors that can lose races and go on to win the regatta, and that’s what we did this weekend.”

Delegations from the co-ed team will travel to the Lynne Marchiando Team Race and the BU Trophy this weekend while members of the women’s team will head to the Dellenbaugh Women’s Trophy.