After facing threats of eviction starting last November, The 9th Note jazz bar and restaurant reached a settlement with landlord Ninth Square Project Limited Partnership on Thursday.

Over the past few months, owner of The 9th Note Chris O’Dowd received four eviction notices, which stated that O’Dowd had failed to pay rent on time and violated the lease agreement by playing excessively loud music at the bar. Kevin Casini, the lawyer representing O’Dowd, requested a temporary injunction to delay eviction and settle with the landlord. After O’Dowd disputed the allegations, the case ended up in the hands of a New Haven Superior Court judge, who met with both parties in court on Thursday. O’Dowd said he reached an agreement with the judge and landlord on Thursday morning and that he is currently looking for a new location for the bar, currently located at 56 Orange St.

“My hope is not to close, just to move,” O’Dowd said on Thursday. “We are looking for a new home.”

Casini said there was an “amicable agreement” on Thursday morning about the complaints against the bar, but he declined to comment further about the nature of the agreement.

The Ninth Square Project could not immediately be reached for comment on Thursday.

The Ninth Square Project first filed a complaint with the New Haven court last year, alleging that the noise from the jazz club was disturbing neighbors who live above the club. In response, O’Dowd contacted the New Haven Department of Public Health to test out the club’s noise levels, which were found to be within the regulated limits, O’Dowd told the News in January.

O’Dowd also said in January that he thought he would not be forced to vacate the spot, as the New Haven Office of Economic Development was helping resolve the issue.

Matthew Nemerson SOM ’81, New Haven’s economic development administrator, said the city will support the business in its search for a new location if they do move.

He explained that the noise complaints are a result of Orange Street’s development from a business district to a residential area.

“As New Haven’s reputation grows as a place for people to hang out on the evenings and on weekends, some places are changing into entertainment venues,” Nemerson said. “These things are good but come with complications.”

Although The 9th Note may be displaced from the downtown area, by this spring there will be a new music venue, College Street Music Hall, to fill its niche. The project, led by the New Haven Center for Performing Arts, involves transforming the vacant Palace Theater on 238 College St. into a live music venue. The hall is within close proximity to other performance spaces including the Yale Repertory Theater, the Off Broadway Theater and Toad’s Place.

CAROLINE HART