Following the 19-year tenure of former head coach Brian Tompkins, Yale athletics has named Kylie Stannard to be the next head coach of the men’s soccer team, according to a Monday announcement.

Stannard joins Yale after six years of coaching at Michigan State, where he helped recruit a team that made the NCAA tournament in five of those years and entered the most recent postseason as the No. 3 overall seed. He spent his first five years as an assistant coach and was promoted to associate head coach at the beginning of this year.

“Yale University is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I am extremely honored and humbled to be named the next head coach to lead a program that has an excellent history and tradition dating back to 1908,” Stannard said in a Yale athletics press release. “It is a great privilege to be involved with such a world-class institution and that is something that will be emphasized on a daily basis.”

The hire ends a nearly three-month-long nationwide search for a head coach after Tompkins announced in August that he would step down at the end of this season. Tompkins steps into a new role in the Yale athletics administrative office as the second winningest coach in Yale men’s soccer history. His final season, however, ended in ignominious fashion, as the Bulldogs stumbled to a 1–13–3 record, the fewest wins for a Yale team since the 1922 squad finished 1–3–2.

Stannard, who also served as an assistant coach at Northern Illinois for four years, earned accolades in 2013 as the Great Lakes Region Assistant Coach of the Year and was also named as one of the College Soccer News top 15 assistant coaches in the nation. The Spartans made the Elite Eight in the NCAA tournament that season, and they did the same in 2014 with Stannard as associate head coach.

GREG CAMERON