A posthumously published book written by the late Marina Keegan ’12 has won the 2014 Goodreads Choice Award in the nonfiction category.

“The Opposite of Loneliness” is a collection of essays and stories that Keegan wrote before she was tragically killed in a car crash five days after graduating Magna Cum Laude from Yale College in 2012. The book won the award — which is determined by a reader vote — with 19,793 votes, beating out 19 other competitors.

The book was compiled by Keegan’s friends and family and features an introduction by English professor Anne Fadiman, who taught Keegan while she was at Yale. Its title is the same as that of an opinion piece Keegan wrote for the News just before the 2012 Commencement, in which she reflected on the community she had found as an undergraduate and on the future ahead of herself and her classmates. The piece garnered over 1.4 million views soon after her death.

In addition to the title essay, The Opposite of Loneliness also includes an essay entitled “Even Artichokes Have Doubts,” which was excerpted in the Financial Times this summer, as well as her short story, Cold Pastoral, which was posthumously published on the New Yorker’s website.

Keegan had been offered a position on the New Yorker’s editorial staff after graduation.

VIVIAN WANG