Addressing the controversy

To all who have been offended by my August 26 letter published in the New York Times, I would like to say the following:

I believe that there is a correlation between the uptick in anti-Semitic violence in the world and the events taking place in Israel/Palestine and Gaza. That said, there is never any excuse for such violence and the crimes described by Professor Deborah Lipstadt are disgusting and repellant. There can be little doubt that many who engage in such behavior use the Israel/Palestine dispute as an excuse to mask a much deeper disorder known as anti-Semitism.

I ought to have said this in my letter.

I have been accused of anti-Americanism for my opposition to the Vietnam War in the ’60s and the Iraq War in the ’00s. In fact, my patriotism runs deep, as does my love for Israel and Palestine and for the two peoples locked in a tragic fight over the land. If I seemed to suggest in my letter that only Jews who actively oppose present Israeli policies have a right to feel safe, that was not my intention nor is it my belief. Personal safety and protection by the rule of law is a fundamental right. Nothing done in Israel or Palestine justifies the disturbing rise in anti-Semitism in Europe or elsewhere. Persons of good will must be concerned as well by the rise of Islamophobia that is now being justified in terms of national security.

This has been a painful time for many of us, but I am a hopeful person and I believe that good will come of it. I have received many letters that offer opportunities for dialogue and understanding, and I trust that I am humble enough to still be taught.

Bruce M. Shipman

Aug. 28

The writer is chaplain of the Episcopal Church at Yale.

• Jacob Herber

Once again, Rev. Shipman restates the canard that Jews are responsible for “uptick” in anti-Semitism. Does he really believe that those who spew their hateful rhetoric against Jews; physically threatening them and harming them on the streets of Berlin, Paris, Los Angeles, Boston, etc., are two-staters who believe in living in peace with Israel or the Jewish People? With all due respect, Rev. Shipman needs to apologize for his “apology.”

• hrsn

” the events taking place in Israel/Palestine and Gaza” are responsible for the uptick, according to the grammar of the sentence. It is you who thinks that means Jews.

• Yitzhak Santis

Anti-Semites are responsible for the uptick in anti-Semitism. They may use “the events taking place in Israel/Palestine and Gaza” as an excuse, but responsibility is on the shoulders of the racist anti-Semites 100%.

• FlameCCT

Sorry but I haven’t seen an uptick in violence against Muslims in response to Hamas launching thousands of rockets into Israel.

• Melvyn Lipitch

Since you mention Vietnam I think you might like to make a comparison between the US actions which amongst other things involved the illegal carpet bombing of Cambodia which was a neutral country resulting in massive carnage ….and, the actions of Israel , a country acting in self-defence. Israel (easily capable of obliterating the whole Gaza Strip in one day if they adopted the forementioned apalling US methods) targeted military objectives only in order to minimise non – belligerent casualties. Obviously civilians were killed but you should ask yourself how many were due to Israel actions or the reckless behaviour of the ruling authority Hamas .
    As Col. Richard Kemp , ex commander of the British forces in Afghanastan when he testified before the Goldstone enquiry and repeated recently about Israel’s tactics ” the Israel army in war conducts itself in a more humane way than any other army in the history of warfare.

• Melvyn Lipitch

With regard to peace perhaps you might inform me as to how one can co-exist with an enemy that does does not recognise your right to live. This is not about real estate it is about the genocidal intentions of one side.

• Melvyn Lipitch

Since you mention Vietnam I think you might like to make a comparison between the US actions which amongst other things involved the illegal carpet bombing of Cambodia which was a neutral country resulting in massive carnage ….and, the actions of Israel , a country acting in self-defence. Israel (easily capable of much more destruction to the whole Gaza Strip in one day if they adopted the forementioned apalling US methods) targeted military objectives only in order to minimise non – belligerent casualties. Obviously civilians were regrettably and tragically killed but you should ask yourself how many were due to Israel actions or the behaviour of the ruling authority Hamas .
    As Col. Richard Kemp , ex commander of the British forces in Afghanastan said when he testified before the Goldstone enquiry and repeated recently about Israel’s tactics ” the Israel army in war conducts itself in a more humane way than any other army in the history of warfare.

• Jo

Have the Vietnamese and the Cambodians been screaming Death to the Christians, defacing churches, smashing Christian store windows, beating up Christian men, women, children, priests, ministers, etc?

• mxm123

Well the Vietnamese (North) screamed death to their colonial Occupiers. Read up on their history. It will help.

• Steve Gregg

Carpet bombing ended with WWII. There was no carpet bombing since and certainly none of Cambodia. The Cambodian Holocaust was the product of the Khymer Rouge, not US bombing, just as the Jewish Holocaust was the product of the Nazis, not US bombing.

• Melvyn Lipitch

Are you asserting the bombing of Cambodia was not by the USAF ? since Cambodia was a neutral country any bombing would be deemed as illegal , this was circumvented allegedly by diverting pilots to new designations whilst in flight and kept secret for several years .
        The bombing of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia which you refer to was after the main conflict and was a response to a seizing by the Cambodians of an American ship taken to Koh Tang. In spite of reports that the crew had been released the USAF still went ahead with the bombing.

• Steve Gregg

There was bombing of Cambodia but no carpet bombing, an obsolete tactic after WW II. Your use of the term is hyperbolic. Cambodia, used by the North Vietnamese to run supplies, was as neutral as Begium was when the Nazis ran through it to outflank French defenses. Your use of the bombing of Cambodia as a benchmark for warmongering is flawed and false.

• Melvyn Lipitch

My use if the words carpet bombing may be over stating technically, although I am not sure the Cambodians saw the distinction .
            Nevertheless despite your Belgium analogy which I am not disputing, the Bombing of Cambodia was illegal and as such was the necessity of concealement of this operation

• Steve Gregg

The difference is several orders of magnitude. A B-52 can carry up to 108 bombs, of which it may have dropped part of its load on a single target in Cambodian. Carpet bombing involves a thousand bombers dropping ten thousand bombs. It is safe to assume that the Cambodians would have made the distinction between a hundred and ten thousand bombs.

It’s odd that you don’t blame the North Vietnamese for expanding the war into Cambodia, but rather the US for reacting to them there.

• kevin24

I find the number or comments which have been deleted from this to be deeply distressing. There is no excusing this non apology apology rife with excuses but lacking contrition. Reverend Shipman is a discredit to his church and an unreconstructed (linguistic appropriation) anti-semite.

• Eilat59

While your letter certainly is heartfelt, I wish you had at least offered an apology to the many people that you offended with it. Peace, Shalom, Salaam

• Martin38

Rev. Shipman. Apology not accepted. Every nation, including Israel, has the right to defend itself, and your kind of Jew hatred which blames the victim has a long and disgusting history. That history is filled with the kind of accusations that every anti-semite seems to use to justify their words and actions. Jews are always responsible for the hatred directed at them. Nonsense. If I came and burned down your church and blamed my actions on your invective against Jews, would I be justified? Of course not. So get your head on straight.

• kmansfield

occupation is not defense.

• Martin38

Maybe if 50 of the 12,000 rockets fired at Israel over the past few years were to drop on the Yale campus, your view would be slightly different. Or maybe not. Seems you have a selective memory of the facts.

• mxm123

Why ? Is Yale stealing land and cleansing that land of its residents to settle fanatics ? Gosh u learn something everyday.

• FlameCCT

I would suggest learning history instead of spouting male bovine excrement.

It was Syria, Jordan, and Egypt that move Palestinian Arabs out of their homeland in order to get rid of the fledgling country of Israel. As a matter of fact, Jordan refused to accept back the west bank and Egypt refused to accept back Gaza, which they controlled prior to attacking Israel.

• FlameCCT

You have no clue what “occupation” means. Egypt occupied Gaza prior to the war and refused to accept it back from the Israelis after the war. Israel physically moved all their people out of Gaza and gave it back to the Palestinian Authority. Hamas took control of Gaza using violence and have occupied Gaza ever since, staying true to their charter of eliminating Israel and Jews.

• Gregg Mashberg

Rev. Shipman, what you don’t understand is that Gaza doesn’t cause anti-Semitism; anti-Semitism causes Gaza. It is the Palestinian refusal to accept the presence of the Jews in any portion of their homeland that generates the violence and causes Palestinian suffering. It’s not about settlements, it’s not about the West Bank, it’s about the existence of the Jewish state- anywhere. Failing to understand the root causes of the conflict only enables the dysfunction, violence and suffering.

• Pirovano

Bingo.

• scottrose

This is a non-apology. Israel gives full equality to its non-Jewish citizens. An Arab may purchase private land in Israel. By contrast, the punishment for selling land to any Jew (not any Israeli, any Jew) in Gaza and in the P.A.-controlled West Bank is death. Moreover, Shipman still has not condemned Hamas, and its brutalization of its own people. When he writes that the “two peoples are “locked in a tragic fight over the land,” he just does not express the truth of what is going on. Middle Eastern Jews accepted the U.N. Partition Plan (a two state-solution) of 1947. Arabs rejected it. This is not a “fight over the land.” On Hamas’s side, it is a determined war not to let Jews have any self-determination anywhere. Moreover, I don’t want “dialogue” with Shipman. Having researched the solid anti-Israeli position he has held over time, I think he is an enemy to Israel, not interested in peace, and only writing this fake, and non-apology because of pressures rightfully placed on him for his history of hate-mongering against Israel, and spreading misinformation about the country.

• Jo

This doesn’t do it, Mr. Shipman. The LigueDefenseJuives, that is, JDL France, does no go out defacing mosqs, breaking the stores of Muslim shops, screaming Death to the Muslims in the streets, attacking imams, elderly men, students, and women. Neither do any other Jews We all have different views. Despite the fact, that many of us strongly believe Israel was absolutely right in ths conflict, we do not discriminate against Muslims (and people such as yours truly easily could), let alone take savage, brutal actions such as those taken by many of Europe’s Muslims and some EuroChristians.

Now, with eight thousand Jews having left France, and more preparing to depart, with young Jewish professionals trickling out of the UK, France is taking swift, effective action, while the UK is imploring European Jews not to leave Europe. (I have found that imploring, alone, isn’t an effective strategy.) In the interim, know that yours truly and many others are doing our best to get European Jews to Israel. Although the US is less racist thannEurope, “less” is not good enough. We do not think these Jews should come here. As for me, when my daughter finishes college, I will no longer be a dual citizen. I will renounce my US citizenship, as will my wife. After all, why does the US need one more MacArthur Winner (mathmatics) and a world renowned physicist, when it can have so many racists in their stead?

Let me leave you with this. IS, having beheaded JIm Foley, condemned the US child murderers and said, “We will defeat the Cross.” All over the Middle East Muslim nations, and in some Asian and African nations, Christians are being slaughtered, facing the sort of brutality that European JEws are facing, etc. I don’t doubt, simply because I know, that some of this conduct is linked to the vile policies of the Christian US and Europe against the Muslim ME, Asian, and African people. Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not justifying anti-Christianism. I abhor it. However, there Is a link between the ever increasing hostility toward Christians and abhorent polcies of the US and UK.

• EB

The fact that the post of a chaplain at one of the top universities in the world is occupied by someone who serves as an apologist for anti-Semitism is troubling beyond belief. This letter is not an apology to those he had offended. It is merely a new attempt to justify his own prejudiced views. The chaplain needs to resign immediately.

• mxm123

Pointing out Israel’s conduct is “anti-semitism” ? A new standard adopted to portray oneself as a “perma-victim,”

• FlameCCT

It appears to be the standard used by Shipman. He equates pointing out Hamas’ conduct as “Islamophobia”.

• Pete1776

Agreed. Technically, Rev. Shipman is not employed by Yale. At the very least, the Yale attorney should send him a letter reminding him of that fact.

• Jo

This doesn’t do it, Mr. Shipman. The LigueDefenseJuives, that is, JDL France, does not go out defacing mosqs, breaking the stores of Muslim shops, screaming Death to the Muslims in the streets, attacking imams, elderly men, students, and women. Neither do any other Jews We all have different views. Despite the fact, that many of us strongly believe Israel was absolutely right in ths conflict, we do not discriminate against Muslims (and people such as yours truly easily could), let alone take savage, brutal actions such as those taken by many of Europe’s Muslims and some EuroChristians.

Now, with eight thousand Jews having left France, and more preparing to depart, with young Jewish professionals trickling out of the UK, France is taking swift, effective action, while the UK is imploring European Jews not to leave Europe. (I have found that imploring, alone, isn’t an effective strategy.) In the interim, know that yours truly and many others are doing our best to get European Jews to Israel. Although the US is less racist than Europe, “less” is not good enough. We do not think these Jews should come here. As for me, when my daughter finishes college, I will no longer be a dual citizen. I will renounce my US citizenship, as will my wife. After all, why does the US need one more MacArthur Winner (mathmatics) and a world-renowned physicist, when it can have so many racists in their stead?

• leftatyale

“The LigueDefenseJuives, that is, JDL France, does not go out defacing mosqs, breaking the stores of Muslim shops, screaming Death to the Muslims in the streets, attacking imams, elderly men, students, and women.” — LDJ does not commit terror? Facts are important and that’s a clear lie. This is a group labeled by FBI as a terrorist organization, committed numerous arson attacks and violent assaults in the US and abroad over the years.

• Pirovano

During the Cold War, when Jews were kept from leaving the Soviet Union, the Jewish Defense League in America pulled some dumb stunts like setting off stink bombs during performances of the Bolshoi in NY, and one idiot sniped, without effect, at someone behind a window of the Soviet UN mission. But that is unconnected to the actions of the Ligue Defense Juives in France nowadays. That league has protected synagogues from Muslim mobs and has offended no one and been accused of no crimes or improprieties.

• FlameCCT

Just as Hamas is a terrorist group supported by the Muslim Brotherhood, the same Muslim Brotherhood that supports Hamas and was an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land trials yet the current administration uses Muslim Brotherhood for ME advisors in every federal agency.

• mxm123

Uh oh.

“A number of JDL members have been linked to violent, and sometimes deadly, attacks in the United States and in other countries, including the murder of theAmerican-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee regional director Alex Odeh in 1985, theCave of the Patriarchs massacre in 1994, and a plot to assassinate Congressman Darrell Issa in 2001.[9] The National Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism’s database of identified terrorist organizations, which is compiled by official contractors and consultants to the United States government and is supported by the Department of Homeland Security, identifies the JDL as a “former terrorist organization”.[10] “”

• FlameCCT

The main link between abhorrent US policies and the Middle East is easy to see. The current administration uses Muslim Brotherhood for ME advisors in every federal agency. The same Muslim Brotherhood that supports Hamas and was an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land trials.

• chagrined

John Judis appeared on C-SPAN, BOOKtv to discuss his book “Genesis” in which he recounts Truman’s predicament, trapped between his desire to find a fair and equitable outcome for Arabs and Jews in Palestine and the seeming impossibility of doing so. But Judis is interested in telling a larger story, one that lays a good deal of responsibility on the American Zionist lobby for Truman’s – and America’s – failure to construct a just and peaceful solution. (NYTimes)

During the question period, a lady recounted (?)Father Shaheen’s, response to the notion that ‘Israel is our only friend in the Middle East.’ “Before our friendship with Israel, we had no enemies in the Middle East.”

Americans don’t want to be complicit in Israel’s pernicious, vile, evil abuse of the Palestinians. No one with U.S. citizenship should be living on occupied land. The U.S. should revoke citizenship from all Jews who behave in a manner that is inimical to our values and our credibility. Jews are a constant source of embarrassment to America and as “support for Israel” is a stated reason for the 9-11 attack, they place our security in peril.

Don’t wait – go now! Bon Voyage!

• Steve Gregg

The term “Islamophobia” is a propaganda term developed by the International Institute for Islamic Thought (IIIT), a front group of the Muslim Brotherhood, for the purpose of beating down critics with an ad hominem accusation. It ultimately derives from the Stalinist tactic of labelling critics as mentally ill. “Islamophobia” is a logically fallacious tool of demagogues, not intellectuals.

Islam suffers a bad reputation because it kills people, not because of some irrational phobia. It is a murderously bigoted religion coupled with an even more loathesome totalitarian political philosophy. That is why reasonable people reject the beheaders of Islam and support Israel, which is everything that bloody Islamism is not.

The Islamists brag that they love death while their enemies are weak because we love life. Evil rarely labels itself so succinctly and gives us, in one sentence, a powerful reason to oppose it.

• jeburke

Rev. Shipman ignores the plain truth that for the many pro-Palestinian Muslims who took to the streets in Paris and London, Jews everywhere are the enemy, not just the Israeli state. They get this idea, of course, from many decades of bloodthirsty propaganda that makes no distinction between Zionism and Judaism. After all, long before there was an Israel, Arab leaders fought to exclude Jews from the holy land because they were Jews.

Pro-Palestinian leftists like Rev. Shipman never endorse the anti-Semitic ravings of Muslim leaders of various stripes but they always manage to find some excuse to join them in blaming the Jews.

Even in this supposed apology, Shipman can’t help himself and minimizes the outpouring of mass hostility in Europe, coupled with murderous attacks on Jews, by calling it an “uptick” and equating it to the still imaginary wave of “Islamophobia” (no Muslims are being gunned down or stabbed to death or blown up by homegrown fanatics as has happened in France, Belgium and Boston, among other places).

• mxm123

“Arab leaders fought to exclude Jews from the holy land because they were Jews.” – There were Jews AND Arabs living in the holy land.

Your “victimhood” spiel is rather convenient isn’t it. Cause it avoids any discussion of Israel’s conduct. Don’t blame you.

• theantiyale

(Am repeating my post for the Isackson column):

In 1965 I walked up Buffalo Street to Cornell’s Willard Straight Hall from Ithaca College for an anti-war rally. It was interrupted by a screaming audience member protesting injustice to Palestinians. That was almost 50 years ago.

What the hell is wrong with the world that they can’t solve this intractable problem in half a century?
    Even the magician of the Irish peace settlement Senator George J. Mitchell gave up on Israeli/Palestinian negotiations a few years ago and came home to America.

• Yitzhak Santis

The key word in your sentence is “intractable.”

• theantiyale

No–it’s “half a century”

• Steve Gregg

Islamic doctrine holds that Muslims must kill every Jew in the world. They believe that even the rocks and trees will tell Muslims that Jews are hiding behind them, come the end times. In short, they want to repeat and complete the Holocaust. That is why this conflict is intractable and has not been solved. The solution requires Muslims to give up their hate, a hate upon which Islam maintains a death grip.

• theantiyale

Israel—armed with 70 billion dollars of U.S aid since its creation —presently lives in a world where other forces deny Israel’s legitimacy and work for Israel’s obliteration.
        Why couldn’t continue Israel live in exactly the SAME world of hatred and vituperation but with a two state solution?
        The answer is “Pride.”
        Somebody has to give.
        Israel will still be the strongest military power in the region after Palestinian statehood.
        The only difference will be lost face.
        Pride, the blight of civilization.

• FlameCCT

I would point out that it is the Palestinian Arabs that have refused every offer of a two-state solution since the end of WWII and Israel accepted the UN offer.

• Marjorie Stamm Rosenfeld

No. The difference in a two-state solution won’t be merely lost face for Israel. It will be rockets and terror attacks from a Palestinian state in Judea and Samaria as well as from Gaza. Why should Israel give any of its land (land it was given by the international community via the 1920 San Remo Resolution and the 1922 Mandate for Palestine) to people who have been trying for years to kill Jews? Better read the PLO Charter (http://www.iris.org.il/plochart.htm). And you can read about the Fatah Charter here: http://rubinreports.blogspot.com/2010/01/scoop-fatah-produces-new-charter.html. These documents don’t read the way you might like to think they do.

• Melvyn Lipitch

No its not pride, its survival in an area where your neighbours want to destroy you

• Pete1776

In 1965, Gaza was controlled by Egypt and the Wet Bank by Jordan. What exactly was that person in the audience yelling about?

• FlameCCT

The same lie that they continue to yell about today.

• FlameCCT

“What the hell is wrong with the world that they can’t solve this intractable problem in half a century?”

No one wants to hold the Palestinian Arabs accountable for their actions and the Palestinian Arabs refuse to accept any solution.

• lamoitte

It is because the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a misnomer.
      It is a focal point for a conflict between the West and the Muslim Arab East.
      Look at the map of the M.E. , then ask: Is it truly a struggle for this tiny, hardly worthy addition piece of land to the Arab Muslim Middle East?, more than 50% desert?

• ANI N DA UK

No Rev, YOU are the problem That you are so bigoted you cannot be honest is a problem

• FToben

Sad to see the good Reverend Shipman bending to Jewish pressure, which again confirms my maxim: Don’t only blame the Jews, also blame those who bend to their pressure!

• lamoitte

FToben, you forgot to mention the Jewish world’s control of finances, journalism, and oh, why not “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion”?

• Yitzhak Santis

I think this is clear enough from Rev. Shipman: “Nothing done in Israel or Palestine justifies the disturbing rise in anti-Semitism in Europe or elsewhere.” Rev. Shipman should have said that in the first place, and hopefully he has come to a better understanding of how anti-Semitism operates in today’s world and in history. Jews are never responsible for anti-Semitism any more than African-Americans are for racism. The onus for anti-Semitism and racism is always on the shoulders of the anti-Semite or the racist. It may be that events in the Middle East, or Ferguson may give an anti-Semite or a racist the pretext to express their hate, but it is never the fault of the victims of these two bigotries.

I, for one, would welcome a dialogue with Rev. Shipman. Dialogue doesn’t mean agreement, it means a civil discourse between people who don’t see eye to eye on some matters but are willing to try to understand each other. Rev. Shipman seems to be a reasonable and civil person, so let the dialogue begin.

• http://www.id6586187.sexyeu.website AllyP123

The modern state of Israel was created in 1948. The Holocaust took place from 1939- 1944. The pogroms in Russian took place in the late 19th and early 20th century. The inquisition took place in late 15th century. Israel did not exist then. What is Rev. Shipman’s excuse for those atrocities?

• mxm123

And what is Israel’s , and your, excuse for the atrocities in Gaza. Anti-semitism ?

• Steve Gregg

You do know that Hamas fired more than 2000 rockets from Gaza and dug 40 tunnels in preparation for a mass terror attack in September, right?

• Melvyn Lipitch

HAMAS

• ott198089

If you give Rev. Shipman some time, he will most surely come up with some creative excuses and of course, he’ll have no doubt that the Jews bear at least some responsibility for the atrocities committed against them.

• lamoitte

No, this is unfair toward Rev. Shipman. He was not given a platform to express his World’s View. He ought to be ‘judged’ by his letter to the times and his following ‘apology’ only.

• Pete1776

Rev Shipman committed is guilty of blood libel.

• Pete1776

Blaming Jews for anti-Semitism has a long tradition stretching from middle ages to the Crystal Night of Nazi Germany. Today, Rev, Shipman justifies or excuses violence against Jews because of Israeli actions to defend herself against HAMAS rockets an tunnels.

• Pete1776

Rev, Shipman should find another line of work. He seems to have forgotten that the Saviour was a Jew all of the days of his life on Earth and he spent his last night celebrating the deliverance from House of Bondage.

• bc102

The below was posted before but deleted. Maybe because it was also posted in the Wesley Yiin article? I think it is more relevant here. Hopefully it will not be deleted.
    ________________________________________________________________
    If a final-status resolution to the Palestine problem were reached, would we expect an increase in anti-Semitism, a decrease in anti-Semitism, or no change?

If you believe it would result in a decrease does this make you anti-Semitic for supporting efforts to reach it?

• FlameCCT

“Persons of good will must be concerned as well by the rise of
    Islamophobia that is now being justified in terms of national security.”

I find it ironic that Rev. Shipman equates the valid national security issues raised by terrorist groups hiding behind Islam with Islamophobia. Just as he equates Hamas as Palestinian freedom fighters or his refusal to note that the thousands of rockets launched by Hamas is responsible for the “uptick” in Israeli response. Nothing like blaming the victim to defend a terrorist group/groupies.

• jonathanleffell

Reverend Shipman has, inadvertently as it may be, successfully
    cut through the all the mind cramping complications of the conflict between
    Israel and the Palestinians (those that have befuddled scholars, diplomats and heads
    of state for generations) to demonstrate conclusively that anti-Israelism, anti-Zionism,
    and anti-Semitism are all one and the same.

Those of us who have been arguing this point owe the Reverend a debt for his willingness to demonstrate this point clearly, at the expense of so publicly demonstrating his own version of this well held bias.

Interestingly, Reverend Shipman does not tie an upsurge in anti-Muslim sentiments to the beheadings, abductions, mass murders, forced conversions and basic genocidal activities currently being perpetrated by radical Muslims in the Middle East and Africa: that would be because not withstanding this ongoing and accelerating barbarous behavior, there is none; nor should there be.

It is only when Israel, which happens to be the nation state of Jewish people and the physical embodiment of Zionism – the national liberation movement of the Jewish people, acts in indisputably justified self-defense, that closet Jew Haters like Reverend Shipman feel empowered to voice their true beliefs. For them, Israel’s actions are not really the cause of an increase in Jew Hatred; they are merely the current excuse.

• jomiku

The real racism in the letter is the way it assumes irrational & even disgusting behavior by Muslims when “provoked”. There is a deep assumption in the letter that Muslims can’t be held accountable, that they will act in destructive, hurtful ways, that they’re incapable of knowing the difference between Israel or Israel’s government and Jews and that they can’t be educated but only placated.

• henrytobias

Too late!

• lamoitte

Rev. Shipman should stay where he’s supposed to stay – at the Church, attending to religious affairs of his constituents, and being miserably uninformed, not stick his head into politics. I believe this is the status the Church enjoys, provided it does not venture into politics.
    On the other hand, “Let All the Poison Spew Out” – better an overt anti-Semite than a secret one. It needs noting that Rev. Shipman is hardly singular among his peers in an overt anti-Israel actions, as divesting from companies who do business with Israel.