When prominent members of the Yale community voice their opinions on divisive issues like the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the Middle East, particularly hurtful and demeaning statements need to be swiftly and sharply addressed by the administration, students and staff. On Aug. 26, the New York Times posted a letter to the editor from Yale’s own Rev. Bruce Shipman, campus Episcopal chaplain, in which Rev. Shipman propagated decades-old misconceptions about Jews and Israel — and publicly participated in fanning the flames of anti-Semitism currently rampant around the world.

Most inflammatory was his supposed connection between “Israel’s policies in the West Bank and Gaza and growing anti-Semitism in Europe and beyond.” As has been documented in the media, demonstrations in Europe organized to protest Israel’s defense of its borders from the terrorist group Hamas became anti-Semitic demonstrations. Protestors did not chant “stop the Israelis” in the recent demonstrations across Europe; they chanted “kill the Jews” and “gas the Jews”. When bombs are thrown at synagogues, as they recently were in Western Germany and Toulouse, that act of hatred is against Jews, no matter their political beliefs — not against Israel.

The façade of protest against Israel’s military has allowed hideous anti-Semitic statements to escape condemnation. Now that Rev. Shipman is attempting to bring this sinister allusion to Yale’s campus, it must be condemned in the strongest tone possible: declared untrue and contrary to Yale’s values of respectful, honest discussion.

There are ways to protest against Israel’s policies without making anti-Semitic statements. Israel is not made up only of Jews; it is a model for religious tolerance, a beacon of democracy and freedom in the Middle East, home to Arabs, Christians, Druze and many other religions. Israel is, in fact, one of the only places in the Middle East where citizens are free to criticize their own government. We do not criticize all Catholics for statements we disagree with from the Vatican, nor do we criticize all Muslims for laws or actions we disagree with in predominately Muslim nations. Jews are no exception.

Even more sickening is Rev. Shipman’s statement that the “best antidote for anti-Semitism would be for Israel’s patrons abroad to press the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for final-status resolution to the Palestinian question.” Deliberate use of “final-status resolution” and “Palestinian question” raises the specter of the Holocaust and the resolution of the “Jewish Question”: the Nazi’s genocide of the Jewish people in Europe. Though he likely desires a peaceful end to the conflict, Rev. Shipman insinuates that the Israelis are conducting genocide against Palestinians by using these terms. Such a statement is indefensible. Israel is protecting its borders and its citizens from rocket attacks and tunnel penetrations. No nation would permit such a threat to its citizens and national security from a radical terrorist group.

As a Jew living in the diaspora, I am in no way responsible for Israel’s actions. I am not Israeli. There is no reason that any political action of Israel should affect my life, or any diaspora Jew anywhere. I happen to be fully supportive of Israel and its defense strategy and hope that the eventual disarmament of Hamas will lead to long-term peace.

I, like many other Jews and students on campus, am astonished and appalled that Rev. Shipman would say such untrue, hateful words about Jews and Israel. I am deeply ashamed, however, that the “Yale” name appears next to his at the bottom of that letter. Yale must be a place for honest intellectual debate. Yale University and the Yale community stand to lose when leaders on its campus — whether or not they are directly employed by the University — spew hateful, anti-Semitic speech.

Joshua Isackson a senior in Jonathan Edwards College. Contact him at joshua.isackson@yale.edu.

• Arafat

Thank you for writing this, Joshua.

It’s a sad day when the Shipman’s of the world are given the respect he receives. Reminiscent of Nazi Germany and how many of the Ivy League schools embraced many of those who supported Hitler.

• scottrose

Several years ago I investigated anti-gay bullying in the public schools of Flagler County, Florida. In the course of my investigations, a former Flagler School Board member told me that he quit the board because its other members would not take action against anti-Jewish bullying that was pervasive in the schools there. That antisemitic bullying in Florida of course had nothing to do with Israel. My prediction is that the vile and unrepentant Jew hater Bruce Shipman will not apologize, and that he will continue to spew his ignorant hatred of Jews.

• Lindaloftus

A very well written and argued piece.Every antisemitic racist view has to be challenged otherwise it becomes acceptable.
    I have to add that Jewish people in the Diaspora are entitled to support Israel without encountering antisemitism-Legitimate criticism of supporters of Israel based on their views not ethnicity or religion is valid.

• Arafat

I’d like to thank the Yale Daily for deleting all my comments.

It’s nice to know you will not delete comments that slander Israel but will delete my comments for not being PC.

It’s nice to know that you support diversity – as often opined in your editorials – as long as it agrees with your definition of diversity.

And most of all it is nice to know you believe in and honor freedom of ideas and of the press.

• Neil Parker

Not all criticism of Israel’s policies towards Palestinians counts as “anti-Semitism.” Yes, Jews suffered horribly during the Holocaust. That does not give them leave to perpetuate injustice against others.
    When the “kill count” of Palestinians is compared against that of Israelis, including children who cannot in any way be considered combatants, it is appropriate to ask if this well-trained, Western-supported military has any understanding of the concepts of just-war proportionality or discrimination of targets. It is irresponsible to claim that all military action is simply “self-defence” and to claim that anybody who wonders why so many innocent Palestinians are being killed while attempting to defeat terrorist groups is “anti-Semitic” is gross propaganda.
    Let Yale students and faculty examine facts and higher principles, and get beyond this mindless propaganda on either side.

• MSK

Just war proportionality cannot apply to a terrorist group which explicitly calls for the destruction of Israel and all Jews in its charter, who deliberately sites its militants and rocket launchers among civilians, including children, to increase its martyr count and build worldwide sympathy, who builds high-tech tunnels to further goals of destruction and diverts resources away from its own people in the process, who repeatedly breaks cease fires and rejects historic efforts to promote peaceful coexistence and self-governance.
      If there were an easy solution to this horrific conflict, it would have been found already.

• mxm123

And what about the nation that imprisons millions of people in sub-human conditions, There is an easy solution. That is if one side is willing to give up land being stolen.

• Neil Parker

The principles of just war apply irrespective of the nature of the enemy.

However, I certainly agree that there is not an easy solution, and I would also agree that Hamas is not an innocent party by any means.

I do NOT agree that that means that legitimate debate, particularly in an institution of what purports to be higher learning, should be dismissed as “sickening”, “anti-Semitic”, “sinister” and “contrary to Yale’s values of respectful, honest discussion”. I also disagree with some of Rev. Shipman’s comments, but not his right to make them.

• TheIGofSA

You are an anti-semitic person and a bigot You want Jews in Israel to die because Muslims attack them

• mxm123

And why do the Palestinians fight back ? Oh wait, Never mind.

• teachitagain

Remove the word “back” and ask him again.

• Neil Parker

No … I do not want any children to die. The current death toll for Palestinian children stands at 495.
            I’m not sure where the bigotry is in that.

• TheIGofSA

yes you do achmed You compalin because Jews protecte themselves

• teachitagain

Now copy and paste your earlier posts elsewhere about your horror at the thousands of Syrians, Iraqis, Afganis, Egyptians killed in those conflicts prior to this more recent one. Oh, you didn’t write anything about them, methinks? I’m betting you haven’t.

• Neil Parker

You’d lose that bet …

• teachitagain

prove it

• Neil Parker

Just war criteria is NOT defined by the enemy. It is the responsibility of the war-fighting force to follow principles of international law and common decency. Otherwise, they are simply at the level of the terrorists, but with tax-supported weapons.

• Jameson

Israel is the aggregate of the Jewish people. Your “proportionality” argument is an idiotic fiction you picked up in a left liberal rag. According to your adopted logic, Israel must only respond rocket for rocket. Isn’t this proportionality? For each rocket Hamas sends to civilian population, Israel does the same? For each tunnel infiltration, Israel does the same? Thank goodness you are not responsible for security of any civilized nation-state. Once the unwanted state of war is declared,the goal of war is to WIN, not play tit for tat with a terrorist organization sworn not just to destroy Israel but to kill Jews in general. Obviously you prefer to see as many dead Jews as possible, so you want Israeli soldiers to either do nothing while rockets rain down on it’s civilians to be defeated or go door to door and ask if each terrorist is a civilian or not. Either way this insures Israel’s destruction–your goal. The people of Gaza are not victims: THEY VOTED FOR THE TERRORIST ORGANIZATION HAMAS AND MUST SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES OF MESSING WITH THE CHOSEN PEOPLE.

• Neil Parker

Yes, I read “idiotic rags” like the Lieber Code, the Hague Conventions, the United Nations Charter. I’m not sure what left liberal rags you’re citing.

Some religious Jews refer to Deuteronomy as well, specifically chapters 20-21. The Israeli army claims to be one of the most moral armies in the world.

Of course, proportionality does not mean “one for one.” But kill counts of 2104 Palestinians to 70 Israelis defies any argument for proportionality.

I am NOT arguing that terrorist organizations such as Hamas are blameless. I myself have lost dozens of friends in uniform to terrorist activity (I am a serving member of the Army, which makes me responsible for the security of a civilized nation-state, as I respectfully believe you may be, too). I am simply saying, on an academic site, that discussion about whether one country’s actions are as moral as they claim are fair topics for discussion, and not the kind of all-caps shouting you are engaging in.

In its most recent count, the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs reports that 2,104 Palestinians were killed in Gaza, including 1,462 civilians, among them 495 children and 253 women. Those U.N. numbers would mean that 69 percent of the total killed were civilians. (Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/the-un-says-7-in-10-palestinians-killed-in-gaza-were-civilians-israel-disagrees/2014/08/29/44edc598-2faa-11e4-9b98-848790384093_story.html)

• TheIGofSA

Are you that stupid? Or just that big of a bigot? Israel was attacked idiot It defended itself

• Neil Parker

Yes, self-defence is allowed. I did not argue that.
        Instead, I am discussing just war principles, that say that even in self-defence there are ways to fight justly — these are the principles of discrimination (not targeting civilians, or children, for example, but only legitimate targets), and proportionality (not nuking a city in retaliation for a single death, for example). These are the basis of international law.

I understand that there are some people who want to argue that there are no limits to what can be done in war. I certainly hope that they didn’t receive their ethical training, international law degrees, or history degrees from Yale.

• TheIGofSA

BS You are mad beause Jews defend themselves No single post of your ever complains about anyone other then Jews

• Neil Parker

Not true. I have also complained about the poor level of bigoted responses to my posts, about propaganda, and about the use of insults rather than argument.
            And I’m not mad. Just disappointed to see that the level of discussion usually descends to schoolyard name-calling.

• TheIGofSA

Yes it is true Your post show your nazi beliefs

• teachitagain

i didn’t see your sentence, “How could those terrorists target civilians with primitive rockets by the thousands!” Perhaps it was edited out? Or maybe not. You facetious idiots are so transparent.

• Neil Parker

It is not my observation that ANYBODY on this forum is asked to argue both sides of the debate. Instead, they are attacked as “facetious idiots”.
            I do not believe you are an idiot … just a well-informed person with an opinion that differs from mine. No doubt if I read all your posts, you would have commented both on the evils of terrorism as well as the responsibility of states to engage in warfare that discriminates and is proportionate.
            So, for the record … I abhor any group that resorts to cowardly attacks of terrorism, and in particular those that would harm (or threaten to harm) innocent civilians. And, for interest’s sake, you will want to know that I work with civilian and military victims of such terrorist attacks, and have been at countless funerals of those killed in Afghanistan in particular — and some of those were my friends. There is no excuse for terrorism, and any nation has a right to defend itself but not to use undue force. In the same way, I can shoot you if you attack me on the street, but I am not entitled to then firebomb your house and threaten everybody at your workplace. There is no excuse for descending to barbarity in order to combat terrorism, either.

• teachitagain

It’s a violent world we have to deal with and there is no way of assessing with any degree of accuracy what undue force is. I and you know that were the US attacked similarly, or France, Britain, Italy, as well as a host of other nations, by means of thousands of rockets being shot from an adjacent territory whose leaders have stated they want to kill all of you, that nation would both wonder why a population would choose such leaders and then seek to impress on them that they are going to face consequences for being violent thugs. I maintain that your posts seem to single out Israel as being unauthorized to defend itself. I am not so concerned , honestly, that you can persuade me otherwise. You should have truncated your sentence, “There is no excuse for terrorism”- and ended there with a period. My answer to your sentence however is, but – nothing.

• teachitagain

You had taken one point of view and presented yourself to a sufficient extent as an objective observer at the same time. And I don’t know where your analogy of firebombing someone’s house fits this recent war. Leaders, elected or otherwise chosen, decide to act violently, and their constituents or captive populations get the military response from those being deliberately attacked. The only lesson out there for nations and political groups is for people to choose their leaders carefully and wisely, or hope that their dictators go away asap and leave them to live in peace. The garden of Eden is not an option for most at least, in this world.

• teachitagain

Is this your first article/comment about noncombatants being killed in a war?
      I’ll bet you’re regretting all previous big wars where millions of noncombatants were slaughtered, that you weren’t up to writing about those sacrifices. Lucky you, having your favorite target to write about now!

• Neil Parker

No, I was too busy on the front lines, defending noncombatants from being slaughtered. I deplore those sacrifices, as I honour those in uniform who place themselves in harm’s way.
        Israel is by no means a “favorite target” but, as the most reasonable nation in a region that has gone mad, it is the one that can be spoken with. They are not a “target” for me, but a nation that has a high moral stance and holds itself to that standard, at least on paper.

• wjre

As opposed to the US, Canada, France, etc. who are currently bombing in Iraq, blithely killing civilians without having been attacked at home. I guess you think Israel is the only “reasonable”
          nation in the world.

• mxm123

Lets parse the standard talking points.

“Most inflammatory was his supposed connection between “Israel’s policies in the West Bank and Gaza and growing anti-Semitism in Europe and beyond.”” – Ya, so true. All those protestors decided one sunny European summer morning and decided all together “Lets go protest against Israel”. Gaza, what Gaza ? They astonishingly all came together at the same moment in time to protest against Israel. Coincidence. Nah. Its a world wide conspiracy against Israel.

“The façade of protest against Israel’s military has allowed hideous anti-Semitic statements to escape condemnation. ” – The same could be said for SOME demonstrators who held demonstrations inside Israel against Israeli peace demonstrations. Therefore using the authors “logic” could we posit that all Israelis are racist against Arabs.

” it is a model for religious tolerance, a beacon of democracy and freedom in the Middle East, home to Arabs, Christians, Druze and many other religions. ” – Tell that to the millions of stateless Palestinians. Oh wait any discussion of that would be “anti-semitic”.

“Israel is protecting its borders and its citizens from rocket attacks and tunnel penetrations. No nation would permit such a threat to its citizens and national security from a radical terrorist group.” – And no people would want to be subject to the sub human conditions that Palestinians have been subject to. Questioning that is anti-semitic ?

“I am in no way responsible for Israel’s actions. I am not Israeli. ” – Israel claims to speak for all Jews. Are u denying that?

“I, like many other Jews and students on campus, am astonished and appalled that Rev. Shipman would say such untrue, hateful words about Jews and Israel” – Lets face it the author , like the rest of the “appalled” crowd, wants to distract from Israeli treatment of Palestinians. What better way than to howl “anti-semitism” to divert from that.

Same old, same old.

• TheIGofSA

so because the palestinains attacked Israel and Israel defended itself successfully…again, your bigoted self thinks it is good to attack Jews…got it bigot

• mxm123

And Israel never attacked Palestinians. Awww.

• wjre

Never first. Never.

• theantiyale

In 1965 I walked up Buffalo Street to Cornell’s Willard Straight Hall from Ithaca College for an anti-war rally. It was interrupted by a screaming audience member protesting injustice to Palestinians. That was almost 50 years ago.

What the hell is wrong with the world that they can’t solve this intractable problem in half a century?
    Even the magician of the Irish peace settlement Senator George J. Mitchell gave up on Israeli/Palestinian negotiations a few years ago and came home to America.

• mxm123

Because one side has the magic card. An American veto at the UN. Would u stop stealing if u had a permanent Get Out of Jail Card ?

• Superdust

>Not all criticism of Israel’s policies towards Palestinians counts as “anti-Semitism.” Yes, Jews suffered horribly during the Holocaust. That does not give them leave to perpetuate injustice against others.>

yeah, this is antisemitism.

the whole belief system that israel’s relationship with the palestinians is somehow a function of the holocaust is totally insane and offensive.

the fact is the media response and presence in this conflict is nothing short of abysmal and pathetic. anyone who knows anything about palestine would know the media is totally under the thumb of the PLO, and they dont tolerate real journalists in their lands.

this is why people with such confident and negative views towards israel couldnt summarize even the basic properties of the palestinian leadership, armed factions, resources, institutions, etc.

all necessary to make an informed opinion. instead we r left with half-ass condemnations lacking substance and facts to support

• mxm123

“yeah, this is antisemitism.” – Why ? Because you say so ?

• Superdust

yeah, this is antisemitism.

all necessary to make an informed opinion. instead we r left with half-condemnations lacking substance and facts to support

• bc102

If a final-status resolution to the Palestine problem were reached, would we expect an increase in anti-Semitism, a decrease in anti-Semitism, or no change?

If you believe it would result in a decrease does this make you anti-Semitic for supporting efforts to reach it?

• traverse1

It would have been reasonable for Shipman to have observed that there is always an uptick in antisemitism whenever the Israel-Palestine conflict heats up. This is nothing more than an observable truth.

Ir would also have been reasonable for him to have argued that the best antidote to anti-Israel protest would be a fresh set of policies from Israel. One could argue the point, certainly (Shipman’s one-dimensional loyalty to the Palestinians would be fairly easy to shred) but at least there would have been nothing offensive in drawing a link between what Israel is, or is not, doing, and protests against Israel.

But he doesn’t say the best antidote to anti-Israel protest is to change Israeli policy. He says the best antidote to anti-semitism is to change Israeli policy. In other words, absent such a change, anti-semitism is not only understandable but acceptable. If you don’t like what Israel is doing in Gaza, come out — quite openly — in support of Hitler. Or firebomb a synagogue. Or beat up a few people wearing yarmulkes. Don’t like it? Ok, then tell the Israelis to start treating the Palestinians better.

This is not only morally offensive, but breathtakingly fatuous. Does Shipman really believe that this point of view can help the Palestinian cause in the real world? Could anything be more delusional? The blunt truth is that the Gazans freely chose to place their futures in the hands of the Muslim Brotherhood, just in time for the Muslim Brotherhood to be on the run throughout the Middle East. Brilliant move. Does Shipman not wonder why Israel’s actions in Gaza received overt support from Egypt and Jordan, and covert support from almost all other Arab states? Is he aware of, or concerned about, the growing reluctance of even the EU (hardly Israel’s best friend) to pay for another round of rebuilding in Gaza, if there is a risk of it all being blown to smithereens one more time in the future, as a result of Hamas’ recklnessness? These are all real, and observable, issues, and if one were genuinely concerned with the welfare of the Palestinians (as opposed to meaningless sanctimony and self-referencing moral posturing), one would be forced to, at minimum, acknowledge them, and to accept that at least some portion of the solution — perhaps less than fifty percent, but certainly more than zero — does not lie in the hands of Israel alone.

But, no. Shipman would rather posture, In his world, it’s all so simple: the Jews, as the patrons, should merely influence Israel to change its policies and solve the Palestinians’ problems, and then — and only then — antisemitism would be free to become Bad again.

• mxm123

A specious narrative. Lets suppose i make the statement “More Freedom For Arabs will lead to less terrorism”. Does that mean I support terrorism if you don’t support More Freedom for Arabs ?

traverse1 makes this dishonest link and runs with it. Why ? Because it’s a nice way to divert from Shipman’s assertion regarding Israeli conduct.

• traverse1

Your example is ridiculous because you’ve changed the construct. Your example, to be valid, would have to include anti-Muslim prejudice. Shipman was bringing a third party into the debate — Jews, not Zionists, not anti-Israel demonstrators – and legitimizing antisemitism as a means of leveraging Israel.

Also, far from diverting from Shipman’s assertions regarding the Israeli conflict, I actively examined them. Is it your position that Shipman is correct in that everything would fine if only the Jews pressured Israel into doing the right thing? I say this is stunningly fatuous and delusional – do you agree or disagree? Do you stand with Shipman on seeing no problems at all with Hamas, with the decline of the Muslim Brotherhood, with the alliance between Egypt, Jordan and Israel (and the tacit blessings of the Saudis)? Are these figments of my imagination or real-world obstacles of which Shipman appears to be in complete denial? Do you buy his solution to the problem? Do you argue, as he apparently does, that not one single molecule of responsibility falls on the Palestinians, and that it’s simply just a matter of the Jews forcing Israel to do the right thing? Is this your position as well?

• mxm123

traverse1 piles on more dishonesty in his continuing narrative. He parses between Zionists and Jews, while the State of Israel, whose conduct Shipman refers to , makes no such distinction. Why ? Because its just so convenient to create an apple out of an orange to start the “anti-semitism” bait.

“Ir would also have been reasonable for him to have argued”…

“This is not only morally offensive, but breathtakingly fatuous….”

You DID not “actively” examine Shipman’s assertions regrading Israeli conduct. It’s wholly evident for anyone who reads your post. But rather you focus on your rather convenient straw man argument of Shipmen’s audacity.

I’ll be happy to debate the rest of your questions towards me regarding. I’ll start a new post so as to distinguish between your response to Shipman and the other issues you bring up now,

• mxm123

“Do you stand with Shipman on seeing no problems at all with Hamas, with the decline of the Muslim Brotherhood, with the alliance between Egypt, Jordan and Israel (and the tacit blessings of the Saudis)? Are these figments of my imagination or real-world obstacles of which Shipman appears to be in complete denial?”

There is no Hamas in the West Bank. Has Israel stopped its seizures of land ? Has it made ANY progress towards letting the Palestinians having their own country as the entire world has demanded ? Has it stopped home demolitions in Jerusalem ?

Wikileaks – “Israel told America it hoped to push the Gaza Strip to the ‘brink of collapse’, leaked diplomatic cables reveal.”

Isn’t the above an active policy to continually provoke an enemy ? And then blame them of course. Do you deny that Hamas has repeatedly offered a Hudna (truce ) with Israel ?

And of course before u tell me about Hamas’s charter, read the Likud Charter. Then ask yourself. Who acts on which charter with more success ?

• jonathanleffell

Reverend Shipman has, inadvertently as it may be, successfully
    cut through the all the mind cramping complications of the conflict between
    Israel and the Palestinians (those that have befuddled scholars diplomats and heads
    of state for generations) to demonstrate conclusively that anti-Israelism, anti-Zionism,
    and anti-Semitism are all one and the same.

Those of us who have been arguing this point for a long time
    owe the Reverend a great debt for his willingness to demonstrate this point so
    clearly, at the expense of so publicly demonstrating his own version of this
    well held bias.

Interestingly, Reverend Shipman does not tie an upsurge in
    anti-Muslim sentiments to the beheadings, abductions, mass murders, forced
    conversions and basic genocidal activities currently being perpetrated by
    radical Muslims in the Middle East and Africa: that would be because not
    withstanding this ongoing and accelerating barbarous behavior, there is none;
    nor should there be.

It is only when Israel, which happens to be the nation state
    of Jewish people and the physical embodiment of Zionism – the national
    liberation movement of the Jewish people, acts in indisputably justified
    self-defense, that closet Jew Haters like Reverend Shipman feel empowered to
    voice their true beliefs. For them, Israel’s actions are not really the cause
    of an increase in Jew Hatred; they are merely the current excuse.

• mxm123

There was a Jonathan Lefell from Boston who was involved in the David Project. I don’t state its you. But i’m reporting on THAT Jonathan Lefell

The David Project was an effort by certain members of the Jewish Community to smear the mosque building efforts by the Muslim Community.

Read up on it folks.

• jonathanleffell

You should be more attentive to details:
        1.That would be Leffell with 2 “f”s,

2.I am the same,

3.It was not a smear campaign but an attempt to halt inappropriate public funding of a religious institution with leadership associated with radical Islamic groups.( see Constitution, US),
        Any other useful comments? I thought not.

• mxm123

And you were able to prove nothing. (see Constitution, US). Just a bunch of smears. Oh wait, that sounds familiar.

• theantiyale

Let’s simplify all this self-justifying political gobbledygook.
    What possible difference would it make, except to nationalistic pride, if Israel treated a two-state solution?
    Oh–that can’t be done: Some Palestinians refuse to acknowledge the right of Israel to exist even calling for Israel’s destruction.
    So what.
    Israel has one of the most sophisticated armies in the world thanks to 70 billion dollars of American aid since 1950.
    Maybe—just maybe — when Palestine was a certified “state, ” things might calm down as dignity, self-respect, and economic development increased over a generation or two.
    If not, the only difference would be that Israel would periodically engage in bombing a state rather than a territory.
    Nothing lost but pride. It is no more complex than that.

• Rev. Dr. Craig M. Whitcher

I have listened to Netanyahu and members of Israel’s right wing government; also those from “Breaking the Silence” and “Voices for Peace.,” an Israeli General’s son and former soldier, a respected Israeli Lawyer and foreign policy advisor to our State Department, and a Palestinian Protestant pastor. I have been to Israel and Palestine to educate myself first hand. I have grown up with Jews, attended college which had a large Jewish presence, took courses taught by Rabbis and served one church in a predominantly Jewish community.
    What has happened that in this day there can be no debate about the Mideast, Israel, Palestine, and Islamic nations without calling everyone a “Nazi” and demanding the heads (excuse the awful pun, I could have used crucifying.) of anyone who dares to render a consideration and view of what is happening in that part of the world?
    A part of the world where American lives and treasure are spent ostensibly for the sake of peace. (let’s not forget “OIL”)
    A part of the world where geopolitics have been played out by powerful nations and kingdoms, carving out boundaries with no regard to the people and cultures who live there with blatant policies of exploitation and subjugation.
    A part of the world whose Christian, Islamic and Jewish history have all had their darker purposes defined in acts of genocide, exile and occupation. testified to in their scriptures that are also used to justify those very same sinister geopolitical policies today.
    Peace is always a card to be played and defined by the powerful. True peace and justice is a gift of compassion without fear, i.e. “The Marshall Plan” in Europe, the return of Japan and Germany to the family of nations, the granting of Israeli Statehood.
    The cost of peace and justice is ending the addiction to racial and ethnic bigotry; fear and victimization; revenge and the abused becoming the abuser.
    I learned from a wonderful Jewish psychologist family therapist that those who can change must change. Those who can change are those who have the power.
    So, I read Rev. Shipman’s letters with this point of view.

• JCvPnew

Most inflammatory was his supposed connection between “Israel’s policies in the West Bank and Gaza and growing anti-Semitism in Europe and beyond.” As has been documented in the media, demonstrations in Europe organized to protest Israel’s defense of its borders from the terrorist group Hamas became anti-Semitic demonstrations.
    Does this statement not agree 100% with Rev. Shipman’s main point?
    If so, then this column is really about wishing that it weren’t so even the author clearly recognizes that it is, and somehow blaming it on Rev. Shipman simply because he pointed it out in a public way.

• Olterigo

What do you expect from someone (Shipman) who has grown up in Nasserist Egypt, which was at about the same time expelling its Jews, who continued his education in anti-Israel (and sometimes anti-Semitic) British academia, who thinks that a student can’t write a letter like this on his own (so Shipman sees some spectre of a Jewish organization behind the student), who blames Jews for his sacking, though it seems like his own Episcopal board (per his own interview) wanted him out for his attempts to bring them to compliance with rules, and who now hopes to get some Gulf sheikh to donate money for a Palestinian center at Yale. Meanwhile, the guy wrote his own letter and didn’t understand why it would get this sort of response…

While I didn’t think he was an anti-Semite right after hearing about this scandal, his interview in the Tablet Magazine has pretty much persuaded me to think that he is.

• johnb1945

If Fr. Shipman has made a mistake, it is, ironically, the exact same mistake that those who level the accusation of anti-semitism at anybody critical of Israel makes.

And that is to link Israel to Jewry.

What has been achieved here is the (very public) resignation of someone who is clearly not an anti-semite due to an accusation of being an anti-semite.

It’s absolutely nothing to be proud of.

• Len Zinberg

There is animated discussion within Israel spanning a wide range of debate vis a vis how best to achieve a just and lasting peace. This is not found in the areas governed by the Palestinian Authority or Hamas, which are autocratic and theocratic regimes.
    By conflating and linking his political views with the ugly eruptions of naked Jew hatred, Fr. Shipman, at best, legitimized anti-Semitism.

• magdaleni

Fr Shipman should know better. Jews on campuses all over the USA are under direct attack and afraid to voice their views. Leftists and liberal Christians become tools of Islamists when they espouse anti-Israeli and anti-Jewish sentiments. As a Christian religious leader he should be above this.