“I’m Rachel,” I say to the man who is here to evaluate me, extending my hand, trying to put on my best sane face. Problem is, no one ever told me what that looks like.

He eyes me for a moment, then takes my hand.

I run him through the story, trying to emphasize my efforts to be honest and to get help.

I say, “So as soon as I cut, I texted my FroCo for support.”

“But you admit that you willfully harmed yourself?” he says, like he’s just won something.

“Well … yes.” Because obviously I admit it. I’m not a liar. If I were a liar, I would never have gotten myself into this mess. Fuck me for not being a liar.

And so, when I say “yes” to the ‘I admit cutting myself’ part, he nods his head and closes his eyes like someone has just given him a bonbon.

I tell him when I come back to Yale, I will get a therapist on campus and keep working with the one I have at home. I will stop cutting.

“Well the question may not be what will you do at Yale, but if you are returning to Yale. It may well be safer for you to go home. We’re not so concerned about your studies as we are your safety,” he says.

“I’m sorry,” I say. “What makes you think I will be safer away from school, away from my support system?” School was my stimulation, my passion and my reason for getting up in the morning.

“Well the truth is,” he says, “we don’t necessarily think you’ll be safer at home. But we just can’t have you here.”

* * *

On the night of Jan. 27, 2013, I slashed open my right thigh six times with a Swiss Army knife. I then spent four hours thinking about how good it would feel to jump off the fifth floor of Vanderbilt Hall. On Jan. 28, I put on a pretty dress and went to class. Before lunch, my cuts had stained it brown.

That night I texted my Freshman Counselor to tell her what had happened, just as I had done all the other times I felt suicidal and had cut myself. When I went to her suite, I showed her the gashes.

We went to Yale Health Urgent Care, at around 11:00 p.m., where a doctor bandaged my leg. A psychiatrist appeared. I told her that I had experienced suicidal thoughts the night before, but that the cuts had not been a suicide attempt. I told them that I was no longer suicidal.

At midnight, I was strapped to a stretcher under the ashen ceiling of an ambulance, on my way to Yale-New Haven Hospital. There I was taken to the locked ward of the ER — guarded by officers with guns — stripped of all my belongings, including my pants (they had a drawstring), and shunted into a cubicle containing nothing but a bed. I was here for my own good, they told me.

For 24 hours I had nothing to do but listen to the rattling gasping sound coming from the person two beds down, and to a schizophrenic person declare, every hour or so, that he had soiled himself. I was asked to recite the presidents of the United States, in reverse order, as part of a psychiatric evaluation. For more than a day I was not permitted to make a phone call. For more than a day no one had any idea where I was — not even my parents.

When a bed opened up in the actual Yale-New Haven Psychiatric Hospital, I was transported, again in an ambulance, and introduced to the place I would spend the next week of my life. Upon arrival, I was taken into a small room with two female staff members, forced to take off my underwear, spread my legs, then hop up and down to make sure nothing was hidden “up there.”

My Freshman Counselor had brought me some extra clothes and a course packet for my travel writing class, so that I would have something to read. The course packet was confiscated. Why? Because I might cut myself with the plastic binding — you know — the kind you get from Tyco. I might commit suicide with that, they said. “You’re a cutter,” they told me.

For a week, I was not allowed to set foot outside. I was not allowed to stretch my hamstrings or calves or any other body part. I was not allowed to pace my confines. I was not allowed to drink caffeine. I was not permitted to take ibuprofen for my caffeine withdrawal headache. I did not get to take a shower until my third day. Phone usage was restricted and phone calls were closely monitored. I was threatened, by a nurse, with the possibility of having my wrists and ankles tied to my bed, and witnessed this threat be carried out on others. Whoever built the hospital had termed this ward, “Liberty Village.”

There was little “treatment” in the hospital. Mostly, we watched television, played Pictionary and Connect Four and sat. I was interviewed by various clinicians a few times a day; I saw my assigned psychiatrist only three times, for half an hour or so, over the course of seven days. This limited treatment was fairly standard for all patients, but it soon became clear that it would have little effect on my situation.

The milieu counselors, nurses and doctors in Yale-New Haven Psychiatric Hospital have absolutely no input when it comes to deciding who gets to stay at Yale and who is forced to leave. In talking to the nurses, doctors and fellow Yale students I encountered in the hospital, I understood that job to belong to Dr. Eric Millman and to chief of Yale Psychiatry, Dr. Lorraine Siggins — two people who work for the University, rather than the hospital.

I have shared with you my memorable exchange with a senior psychiatrist at Yale Mental Health who came to evaluate me. It was this exchange that led me to keep an extensive and thorough journal during my time in the hospital.

But Dr. Siggins is the one who makes a ruling: Does Johnny stay at Yale or does he go? And in my talks, a consensus emerged: Dr. Siggins does not always — and by some accounts, rarely — make contact with the student in question. (A Yale senior who was in the hospital with me was not granted a meeting with Dr. Siggins but was still forced to leave Yale.) Neither the staff members I spoke with nor a fellow Yalie who had prior experience in the hospital knew of any Yale student admitted to the hospital who had been allowed to stay at Yale.

My interview left me terrified of the possibility of leaving school. I called my parents, and they promptly put themselves on Dr. Siggins’ radar, meeting with her twice and securing me a personal interview. All I remember was that my mind was totally blank when I spoke to her, because I was so focused on making her believe that I was “okay.” This, of course, is totally futile when you’re sitting on a cot in a mental hospital.

She called me three days later to tell me that I would have to go home. That meant that I was forced to formally withdraw from the college, with no guarantee of return. As soon as her decision came down, I was eligible for release into my parents’ custody. Upon my release from the hospital (also not a function of my recovery — but as a result of my expulsion from the College I was even more depressed when I left than when I was admitted, my Yale ID was confiscated, as was my room key. I was given one evening to pack up my entire life.

My college dean told me I was not even allowed to spend the night in my room in Vanderbilt Hall. I fell asleep on the futon in my suite’s common room at four a.m., breaking the rules, but exhausted and unable to continue putting my things in boxes, dismantling the reality of my college life. I had a chance to say goodbye to a few friends — most of whom I would not hear from during my time away. 18 hours after I walked out of the hospital doors, I was on a plane, headed back to North Carolina in a storm of tears.

I did what they said was necessary to be a candidate for readmission: therapy, more therapy, two college courses, more therapy. And I healed. Mostly.

I filled out the paper application for readmission: the usual demographic crap, a three-page personal statement, a transcript of my summer classes, two letters of recommendation, a profile from a therapist and a check for $50. I flew to New Haven for my three interviews — with the dean of my residential college, Dean Pamela George (chair of readmission) and Dr. Siggins.

As a side note, I might mention that Dr. Siggins was 45 minutes late to my interview. Dean George called me an hour before the scheduled time to cancel, forcing me to interview the following day, two hours before my return flight took off. I answered every question with as much positivity as I could sell. I said: I do not cut, I do not think of killing myself. I am great. Two weeks later, I was readmitted.

Every morning of my year away from Yale, I woke to the sight of the “Yale” pennant on my bedroom wall — the one they send to accepted freshmen in the big, glorious “Welcome to Yale” packet. “You’re in!” it says. “You’re a treasured asset to our University!” it says. “Come to Bulldog Days and feel the love because we love you and we care about you and we don’t want you to go to any other school because you’re the shit!” it says.

Thinking back to that welcome packet, there is a conspicuous omission: *We love you and want you and will provide for you and protect you, as long as you don’t get sick.*

* * *

I return to a different Yale, though it is I who have changed. After a year spent focusing solely on my health and well-being, I find myself, though not perfectly balanced, resting closer to my ideal center. And, after a year of watching and analyzing every one of my inner ticks, I see external things that were invisible to me before.

I see that Yale is a fundamentally unhealthy place in one important way. The problem is, everyone is “okay.” I have known friends who have suffered the deaths of siblings, who have been victims of sexual assault or who have fought life-threatening illness, all while navigating their sexuality, while taking five-and-a-half credits, while chairing more organizations and running to more meetings than they can keep track of. I have known friends to do all of this and still profess, at every opportunity, to be “okay,” “fine,” “great.”

To say something else, to be — in our own minds and in the minds of others — something else, is for some reason not acceptable at Yale. None of us are completely okay. But the pressure to conform to being perfectly functional and happy is a burden that we should neither want nor bear.

Where does it come from? For most students at Yale, I think the pressure is subconscious, upheld through day-to-day conversation: My classes are amazing. My extracurriculars are dope. My internship this summer is baller. Life is awesome. Are you awesome? No one wants to deviate.

But I think the source is not, in fact, the students. Those of us who have admitted, at some point or another, that we are legitimately not okay, have learned that there are real and devastating consequences of telling the truth. Because Yale does not want people who are not okay. Yale does not want people who are struggling, who are fighting. Yale, out of concern for its own image, wants them to leave. And Yale makes them.

With this, I refuse to be okay.

• Pingback: ​KHAN: Stop skimping on mental health resources - Life Changes Learning Center()

• Natasha

This is so beautiful. Raw, and beautiful. I am SO sorry that you encountered this from your school, and from our society. THANK YOU for facing this with such courage and strength. Thank you for waking up every morning. Thank you for boldly stepping out and speaking up. Please know that you are truly and deeply loved (even when you’re not okay–especially when you’re not okay).

• Jonathan

Congratulations to you, Rachel, for having the strength and persistence to fight a resistant system that appears to be seriously “broken” and for your hard psychological work to reach your goals. Unfortunately, I suspect your story is far from unique. There is an organization that could help Yale to be more effective/reasonable/compassionate/etc. in dealing with mental health issues. This group, Active Minds, works to “change the conversation about mental health.” They have over 400 chapters on college campuses all across the US. Each school’s chapter is student-run with staff as advisors. They work to provide students with information on improving mental health and in removing the stigma of mental illness. Southern Connecticut State University (also in New Haven) has a chapter, so they might be of help/support.

• John Lawson

I’m John. I went to Bennington College. I love Bennington. I had a number of friends at Bennington who were compelled to leave the school, going away on Medical leave. Bennington College is in many ways the Antithesis of Yale. I won’t get into that. One way it doesn’t differ is in how the institution approaches mental and emotional health. We don’t have a psychic ward. But we do have a small guarded room for “mentally unstable” students. I have had a half dozen friends visit that room. As at Yale, none of them came back to the school.

On the subject, my peers on I suspect a) the people who run our school are relatively successful academics, b) relatively successful academics have worked hard to get where they are and in relation to any mental or emotional health problems, “sucked it up” in order to succeed, c) the people who ran our college believed that “sucking it up” was an invaluable part of the educational experience (builds character mentality), and finally d) if a student couldn’t “suck it up,” there was something terribly wrong with them, so wrong that they would never make it in Academia and should consequently leave before they ruined the school’s pedagogy/good name.

As you can see, the upshot is a strong belief held by every governing member of our institution, backed by a lifetime of their experiences, that if a student could not handle their emotional and mental health on their own, then they were not fit or right for education, that’d they wouldn’t be able to “make it.” They refused to hear counter arguments, citing their years of experience. As I have witnessed and as you, Rachel, have regrettably experienced firsthand, they are dead wrong. There is a spectrum of mental and emotional health and academic Institutions are responsible for promoting their communities health, no ignoring it. Regrettably, so much of academia revolves around culling the student fields of those unworthy of education or unwanted in education. Applications departments, anyone?

But Rachel, regrettably I don’t know if this was a Bennington problem that existed only at our school, or if what you experienced at Yale was completely different. I am so sorry Yale put you though an unjust, entirely cruel process. I personally admire your fortitude and your resiliency. You are a stronger human than I, by far.

• Pingback: ‘Dear freshmen, shut up and breathe’—Students at one college are tackling mental health in a new way - Quartz()

• Pingback: It’s not just college students. Higher education itself is experiencing a mental health crisis — Quartz()

• Pingback: It's not just college students. Higher education itself is experiencing a mental health crisis | CoolMathForKidz()

• Pingback: It's not just college students. Higher education itself is experiencing a mental health crisis()

• Pingback: It's not just college students. Higher education itself is experiencing a mental health crisis : ElectricalClasses()

• Pingback: It's not just college students. Higher education itself is experiencing a mental health crisis | LuckyUniversity()

• Pingback: It's not just college students. Higher education itself is experiencing a mental health crisis : StudentSection()

• Conor

Dear Rachel, you have done an enormous service by disclosing your post at this time. As a Yale parent thank you from the bottom of my heart for your courage and honesty.
    I have noted statements such as
    “the Yale Mental Health & Counseling Services will have counselors available ….”
    They have followed serious protests or conflict on campus between opposing viewpoints. It was repeated in the last 24 hours. That’s good. But what about when the serious protests and violent conflicts occur within a person? Surely that’s when a counsellor is needed most of all. Rachel’s story raises a fundamental question: is YMH & C there for the primary purpose of helping students or helping Yale?

• Pingback: Sane Thinking About Mental Problems | Otium()

• somedude

Thank you for sharing your story. The week spent in the psych hospital sounds completely normal. It’s a 72 hour hold, or something like that. It probably got renewed. The doctors are legally required to ensure your care, so if they are not sure if you will harm again, they will order a psych hold.

• Pingback: 'College Isn't for Everyone': Mentally Ill Students Say Universities Like Stanford Are Leaving Them Behind | Good King News()

• Pingback: Thinking Harder About Student Mental Health - U-M Rackham Graduate School()