The Yale men’s and women’s squash teams lost narrowly in their matchups against Trinity College last night at the Brady Squash Center in Payne Whitney.

Both the men’s and women’s teams for Yale and Trinity brought undefeated records to the courts last night, and the matches were close, often advancing to fifth games. Trinity left with 5–4 wins against both Yale teams.

“This is easily the best team out there,” said women’s third Shihui Mao ’15. “Even though we lost it was the most competitive match we played. Every single match could have gone either way.”

Mao won her match, coming back from a two-game deficit. She was able to win by playing to her opponent’s weakness, her height, and hitting higher.

The highlight for Gwen Tilghman ’14 was watching Mao’s comeback. Tilghman, who holds the seventh spot on the ladder, was also able to force a fifth game in her match, but lost.

“We all fought really hard and kept our matches going,” Tilghman, said. “We had the stamina to keep going.”

Both the men’s and women’s matches were tied 4–4, and the Yale men and women rallied behind their teammates in the two deciding matches. Millie Tomlinson ’14, first on the ladder, lost against her opponent, 3–1, and Charlie Wyatt ’14, seventh on the men’s ladder, lost 3–0 in his match.

Zach Leman ’16 described the Trinity teams as well coached and focused.

“I battled hard. I was diving all over the place,” said Leman, who lost at the third spot.

Kah Wah Cheong ’17 agreed with Leman and added that the Trinity athletes were well rounded and experienced. Cheong won at the fifth spot, also forcing a tight fifth game in which he defended several match points.

Cheong said his opponent was able to pick up on his weaknesses and push at them — a sign of a good player, according to him.

“Our own strength is that we strike a good balance between fitness and skill,” Cheong said. “We can last long on the courts and play good squash, too.”

According to Tilghman, the Trinity squad was very talented and made “some amazing shots.” She added that the women’s team also had the conditioning to keep playing with intensity on the courts.

The respective Yale teams met immediately in the team room after their matches to regroup. Both men and women will play St. Lawrence this Friday, and the women will also play Stanford.

ERICA PANDEY