A month away from competition proved to be no problem for the Yale men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams, each of which each picked up three wins over conference foes Cornell, Dartmouth and Penn this past week.

Following a training trip to Florida and more practice in New Haven after their return, the Bulldog men especially saw the fruits of their labors, dominating Cornell 181–119 and Dartmouth 196–104 and squeaking out a win over Penn 155–145.

“Our energy and mental toughness helped us beat three extremely good Ivy League teams,” Andrew Heymann ’15 said.

The first victory over Cornell came following a hiatus of a full month, and the Elis excelled from the get-go. Diver Tyler Pramer ’14 won the 3-meter dive and finished second in the 1-meter dive, the first two events of the meet, and he continued his strong diving against Dartmouth and Penn by winning the 1-meter dive.

Heymann also contributed valuable points for the Bulldogs. Though he could not top his school-record time in the 100- and 200-yard breaststrokes, he finished first in both events against Cornell and second against Dartmouth and Penn.

Some of the credit for the Elis’ success is due to the trip to Florida, which Mike Lazris ’15 called a unique opportunity.

“We have nothing else to worry about during the two weeks [of the training trip] except for swimming,” Lazris said in an email to the News. “Thus, when we come out of the trip, we are in phenomenal shape and ready to complete the Ivy season.”

Another big event for Yale was the 50-yard freestyle. Against the Big Red, Oscar Miao ’17, Alwin Firmansyah ’15 and Victor Zhang ’16 managed to sweep all three podium spots, and Miao followed that up by finishing second in the meet against Dartmouth and Penn.

But Miao was far from the only freshman to excel. Alex Schultz ’17 and Ben Lerude ’17 took second place against the Big Green and the Quakers in the 200-yard backstroke and the 500-yard freestyle, respectively. Lerude won the 500-yard freestyle earlier in the week against Cornell and the Bulldogs took first in the 200-yard medley with a team that included Miao and Aaron Greenberg ’17.

“The freshmen have showed incredible growth and many have stepped up to fill holes we have in our roster,” Lazris said.

Meanwhile, the women’s swimming and diving team had similar outcomes to its male counterpart. Despite a lone Ivy loss to Columbia early in the season, the Bulldogs bounced back and thrashed both Cornell and Dartmouth in different meets, also adding a solid win over Penn in the same competition as the one against Dartmouth this past Saturday.

The high points for these Elis came on the diving boards, as the young trio of Lilybet MacRae ’17, Olivia Loucks ’17 and Kelly Sherman ’16 dominated in both meets. MacRae won three of the four diving events over the two competitions and finished second in the other. Sherman and Loucks took third and fourth in the 1-meter and 3-meter events against Cornell and second and third in the 3-meter event later in the week over Dartmouth and Penn.

Among the swimmers, Michelle Chintanaphol ’17 starred versus the Big Red by winning both the 100-yard and 200-yard backstrokes. She also helped the 200-yard medley relay team finish second. In the meet against Dartmouth and Penn later in the week, Eva Fabian ’16 and Kina Zhou ’17 took home both endurance and sprinting races for Yale, with Fabian winning the 1000-yard and 500-yard freestyles and Zhou emerging victorious in the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyles.

The next Ivy competition for each team will be the Harvard-Yale-Princeton meets, held from Jan. 31–Feb. 2.

GRANT BRONSDON