Repeating recent success, both the coed and women’s sailing teams dominated the East Coast this weekend.

The No. 1 coed sailing team gained valuable experience at three different events, finishing in first place twice and sixth place once. The squad’s counterparts on the No. 3 Yale women’s team traveled to Boston to compete in the Regis Bowl, capturing the title there.

“You’re just looking to gain as much practice as possible,” skipper Graham Landy ’15 said. “Having the depth to send two teams to top regattas will benefit us down the road with regattas being the best type of practice for nationals.”

On Saturday and Sunday, Landy and team captain Chris Segerblom ’14 competed at Maryland in one of the premier fleet races of the weekend. The regatta was held at St. Mary’s, the host of the spring team racing and coed fleet racing national championships and thus provided valuable experience for the Bulldogs, who will be competing there later in the year.

In the A division, Landy and crew Katherine Gaumond ’15 won eight of the 18 races and took home the title by 30 points over No. 7 St. Mary’s. In the B division, Segerblom and Charlotte Belling ’16, who crewed races one through 12, and Sarah Smith ’15, who crewed races 13 through 18, won seven of 18 races and captured the B title by 40 points. The sailors’ success allowed the Bulldogs to capture the overall title by finishing more than 100 points ahead of the second placed team, No. 4 Georgetown.

“It was definitely nice to go to Maryland and get a good result,” Belling said. “Having the experience of sailing where nationals will be in the spring will help us down the road and give us a leg up on teams who didn’t go.”

In the New England Men’s Singlehanded Championship, held at Yale, three underclassmen rose to the top. While Eric Anderson ‘16 performed well in very light winds and finished 22nd overall, a pair of other freshmen battled at the top of the charts the whole regatta. In the end, Ian Barros ’17 and Mitchell Kiss ’17 finished first and second overall, respectively.

Despite placing ninth in the first race, Barros had a superb ending to the day by finishing in the top three in the last five races. Kiss was also outstanding, winning five races. The result places both Barros and Kiss into the ISCA Men’s Singlehanded National Championship in Newport, R.I. this November.

“The underclassmen play a huge role in our success,” Landy said. “We have had great recruiting classes recently, so everyone is super competitive. It is definitely awesome to see them do so well early on.”

The Bulldogs also sent a team to the 31st Hood Trophy hosted by Tufts. Competing against 17 other schools, the Elis finished sixth overall. The Bulldogs had top five finishes in six of 18 races, with three of those results coming in the last four events to secure the sixth position by a slim 5-point margin.

Skipper Marlena Fauer ’14 and crew Eugena Custo Grieg ’14 finished third overall in the A division, while skipper Max Nickbarg ’14 and crews Natalya Doris and Meredith Megarry ’17 finished eighth in the B division.

At the Regis Bowl, the women’s team claimed victory for the second time this season in the contest on the Charles River. Skipper Morgan Kiss ’15 and crew Amanda Salvesen ’14 cruised past the competition by finishing first or second in every race except for three to take home the A-division crown. Skipper Marly Isler ’16 and crew Clara Robertson ’17, who was making her collegiate debut, placed in the top five in all but one of the ten races en route to a first place finish in the B division.

Overall, the Bulldogs beat second placed Boston University by 45 points.

The women’s team will continue its season by competing at the Women’s Navy Fall Intersectional in two weekends. The coed team will head to New London for the Danmark Trophy at the Coast Guard Academy this coming weekend in a regatta that is anticipated to be very competitive.

“The Danmark is always a tough regatta with a deep fleet and a tricky venue,” Landy said. “We’ve been trying to stay relaxed at events, knowing that we have the tools to win, and let other teams make the mistakes.”

FREDERICK FRANK