Georgetown University will now be able to see its decades-long ambition of creating a school of public policy come true with a $100 million donation from Frank H. McCourt Jr., a Georgetown alumnus who graduated in 1975, the university announced on Wednesday.

The first new school to be built at Georgetown since 1957, the McCourt School of Public Policy (MSPP) revolves around the use of modern technology to face today’s most urgent and intricate public policy challenges. The new school will encompass the “Massive Data Institute,” which is designed to bolster research efforts that revolve around tackling policy issues by analyzing “Big Data” sets. In addition to the institute, McCourt’s donation will also support a new Center for Politics and Policy as well as a McCourt Fellows program — in which the nation’s future policymakers and scholars will be recruited using full scholarships.

“This will be an interdisciplinary, global, evidence-based program that will contribute ever more deeply to the civic discourse in our nation and around our world,” said Georgetown President John J. DeGioia in a press release.

The bedrock for Georgetown’s new public policy school, DeGioia adds, is based on the university’s location in Washington, D.C. and relationships with global leaders.

Georgetown’s ninth and newest school will officially launch during an academic ceremony on October 8.

McCourt’s donation is the largest ever in Georgetown’s history. 

JONATHAN YU