The women’s soccer team will face its toughest test of the season today at Georgetown in its contest against the newly ranked No. 12 Hoyas, followed by a game against Towson on Sunday to round out the weekend of action.

Yale (2–0–0, 0-0 Ivy) will need great performances top-to-bottom when the team matches up with Georgetown (6–0–0, 0-0 Big East). Georgetown is currently on a 15-game home winning streak dating back to 2011 and have outscored opponents this year 19–3.

Yale forward Melissa Gavin ’15 acknowledges that the team is aware of Georgetown’s ranking.

“Everyone is really excited and no one sees [Georgetown] as someone we can’t beat,” Gavin said.

The Hoyas have a talented core, with junior midfielder Daphne Corboz and senior defender Emily Menges leading the way. Both women were among 31 players selected across the nation as potential candidates for the 2013 Missouri Athletic Club’s Hermann Trophy, awarded annually as the highest individual award in college soccer. Still, Corboz will only be seeing action for the second time this year as she recovers from a leg injury.

Redshirt goalkeeper Emma Newins further bolsters a strong Georgetown defense, as she was selected as the BIG EAST Preseason Goalkeeper of the Year. She has met these high expectations so far, and she comes into Friday’s match with a three-game shutout streak.

The game will have added significance for one Eli in particular, as midfielder Eliza Loring ’16, will be making a homecoming of sorts. Loring played in five games for Georgetown last year before making the decision to transfer to Yale, a school she said was her first choice all along.

“If I had not gotten into Yale, I would have stayed at Georgetown,” Loring said.

In returning to play some of her “best friends,” Loring has been prodded for information leading up to Friday’s game.

“People are definitely expecting me to divulge in anything I know about Georgetown,” she said.

Gavin and Loring said that they are aware of the danger of potentially overlooking Towson (3–2–1) due to the much-anticipated matchup with Georgetown. But they are confident that the team’s mentality change this year — focusing on making the opposition adjust to Yale rather than vice versa — will diminish the chances of getting caught off-guard.

Another concern for the Bulldogs is the team’s conditioning and fatigue this early in the season.

“We’re a little nervous about being tired from Friday,” Gavin said. “But by no means are we taking Towson lightly.”

Towson forward Emily Barnes will look to lead the Tigers’ attack as she has put together an impressive start to her season. Barnes has six goals in six games thus far and has scored a point in each of her last five games.

Yale is seeking to improve to 4–0–0 for the first time since 2004, when the Elis jumped out of the gates with a five-game win streak.

The kick-off against the Hoyas is slated for today at 3 p.m.

JAMES BADAS