Roughly 55 students gathered in Linsly-Chittenden Hall Saturday evening to learn about masochistic sexual practices such as those depicted in “50 Shades of Grey.”

The workshop was part of Sex Weekend, a shortened, three-day version of Sex Week — a series of events on sex-related topics held every other year. Sex Weekend, which has been held sporadically in the past, marks the start of an effort to host sex-related events annually to make the program more institutionalized, organizers said. Sex Weekend activities included six lectures and three small-group discussions on topics including sexual health and AIDS activism.

“We have a lot of groups [on campus] pertaining to sexuality, but I think what Sex Week does is it clarifies all these dialogues and brings it into a space where students can figure out what should be talked about and what issues we should be discussing,” said Giuliana Berry ’14, Sex Weekend’s event director.

Berry said Yale has a reputation of being very sexually open due to the publicity given to Sex Week in the past and media attention surrounding sex-related events at Yale such as the release of Nathan Harden’s book Sex and God at Yale. But the perception that all Yale students are highly sexually active is not necessarily true, Berry said, adding that Sex Week offers students a place to explore the accuracy of this perception through dialogue.

Organizers said they are planning to hold Sex Weeks or Weekends annually in the future and that the program size will be in between this year’s shortened program and last year’s roster of over 30 events.

During a discussion Saturday afternoon with “sexologist” Jill McDevitt, who conducts workshops on sexual topics at college campuses across the country, roughly 40 students had to reconsider their idea of “normal” in sex when asked to take anonymous surveys that yielded surprising results. Students often do not realize the difference between normative — being in the middle of the bell curve for certain behaviors — and normal, which is a judgment call, McDevitt said, adding that what is common is not necessarily good just as what is deviant is not necessarily bad.

On the survey, nine percent of attendees reported having accepted payment for sex in the past.

“People don’t think a college student at an Ivy League university would accept payment for sex but I’ve never had asked this question on a college campus and not had ‘yes’ answers,” McDevitt said. “That brings us back to the idea that you can’t have assumptions about people’s backgrounds.”

Other survey responses revealed that three percent of attendees had engaged in bestiality, 22 percent had never had a sexual partner, 12 percent have filmed themselves during intercourse and 52 percent have engaged in consensual pain during intercourse.

At Saturday’s workshop, multiple student-submitted discussions topics were about sexual fantasies involving family members. When students shared their thoughts on incest, three responses were related to fantasies about fathers.

“At first yes, the fact that so many people brought it up surprised me but then I though it might be more of a psychological thing we might all have,” said attendee Alex Saeedy ’15. “I think that’s what the point of the workshop was — to bring up things we thought were so taboo and desire or urges we criticize are just regular parts of sexual psychology.”

Sex Weekend was organized by a board of seven students.

• Sex Week

Last year’s lineup included over 60 events, not 30.

• Dr. Jill McDevitt

Thanks for the write up, although I’m a sexologist, not a “sexologist”. I have a Ph.D. in human sexuality and the quotes around sexologist make it seam like human sexuality is a made up field of study.

• Michelle Y

Surely, Doctor, with a Ph.D. you know how to properly spell “seem” (quotes intentional). You don’t add a lot of credibility to your claim that your field of study is not made up.

• sirhotalot

Sexology is a real field. Human sexuality has been researched academically for over 100 years. Colleges all across North America are starting to introduce degrees on human sexuality. Just because she misspelled a word does not mean she is uneducated.

• westernZOO

Get real Michelle, you never heard of a TYPO when posting a quick response?

The Doctor knows how to spell stop trolling.

• Karen

May I ask respectfully which educational institution awarded you the Ph. D.?

• sirhotalot

I was reading up more about you. Why do you claim you’re the most educated person in the world on human sexuality? That’s a pretty bold claim to make considering the vast history of research on the subject.

• Goldie ’08

Pretty bold indeed given that I am actually the most educated and experienced person in the world when it comes to sex and sexuality

• Kathryn

According to your own blog you are 22 years old and a Ph.D. candidate. Talk to me in 20 years.

• John Sobieski

This is revolting. How about pedophiles? Should we not judge them either? Universities used to be a civilizing force. Now they are brainwashing machines which turn human beings into animals. I used to teach at Yale. Glad not to be associated any longer.

• sirhotalot

Universities weren’t about a civilizing force, they were about open discussion. And yes, you shouldn’t judge pedophiles either. Pedophilia has been researched for over 100 years and the evidence that it’s normal and harmless is conclusive.

Do some research: http://pastebin.com/rtwHRvbW

• Donna Hill

Lol, yes next year you guys can invite B4U-ACT and NAMBLA! We need more “understanding” of pedophiles, and learn how pedophilia is “just another sexual orientation”. You are definitely not mentally ill, and neither are the pedophiles!

• sirhotalot

I”m glad you agree. The scientific evidence is overwhelming. At least 25% and up to 50% of all men are sexually attracted to children.

• Donna Hill

Where did you get those numbers, NAMBLA?

• sirhotalot

Scientific research.

Hall, G.C.N., Hirschman, R., & Oliver, L.L. (1995).
            “Sexual Arousal and Arousability to Pedophilic Stimuli in a Community
            Sample of Normal Men,” Behavior Therapy, 26, 681-694.

“Consistent with previous data (Barbaree &
            Marshall, 1989; Briere & Runtz, 1989; Fedora et al., 1992; Freund
            & Watson, 1991), 20 % of the current subjects self-reported
            pedophilic interest and 26.25 % exhibited penile arousal to pedophilic
            stimuli that equaled or exceeded arousal to adult stimuli. […]

Eighty subjects completed the study. […] Twenty-six
            subjects [approximately 33%] exhibited sexual arousal to the child
            slides that equaled or exceeded their arousal to the adult slides.

[…] a sizable minority of men in normal populations
            who have not molested children may exhibit pedophilic fantasies and
            arousal. In recent studies, 12 to 32% of community college samples of
            men reported sexual attraction to children (B &R, 1989, H,G & C.
            1990) or exhibited penile response to pedophilic stimuli (B&M,
            1989, F et al, 1992, F&L, 1989, F & W, 1989). Thus, arousal to
            pedophilic stimuli does not necessarily correspond with pedophilic
            behavior (Hall, 1990; Schouten & Simon, 1992), although there are
            arguments to the contrary (Quinsey & Laws, 1990).”

Green, R. (2002). “Is pedophilia a mental disorder?,” Archives of Sexual Behavior, 31(6), 467-471.

“In a sample of nearly 200 university males, 21%
            reported some sexual attraction to small children, 9% described sexual
            fantasies involving children, 5% admitted to having masturbated to
            sexual fantasies of children, and 7% indicated they might have sex with a
            child if not caught (Briere & Runtz, 1989). Briere and Runtz
            remarked that “given the probable social undesirability of such
            admissions, we may hypothesize that the actual rates were even higher”
            (p. 71). In another sample with 100 male and 180 female undergraduate
            students, 22% of males and 3% of females reported sexual attraction to a
            child (Smiljanich & Briere, 1996).

Laboratory researchers have validated physiologically
            the self-report studies of nonclinical, nonpedophile identified
            volunteers. In a sample of 80 “normal” volunteers, over 25%
            self-reported some pedophilic interest or in the plethysmographic phase
            exhibited penile arousal to a child that equaled or exceeded arousal to
            an adult (Hall, Hirschman, & Oliver, 1995). In another study,
            “normal” men’s erections to pictures of pubescent and younger girls
            averaged 70 and 50%, respectively, of their responses to adult females
            (Quinsey, Steinman, Bergersen, & Holmes, 1975). In a control group
            of 66 males recruited from hospital staff and the community, 17% showed a
            penile response that was pedophilic (Fedora et al., 1992). Freund and
            Watson (1991), studying community male volunteers in a plethysmography
            classification study, found that19%were misclassified as having an
            erotic preference for minors. Freund and Costell (1970) studied 48 young
            Czech soldiers who were shown slides of children between 4 and 10, both
            male and female, as well as adolescents and adults, male and female.
            Penile responsivity to female children, ages 4–10, was intermediate to
            adolescent and adult females and males in one scoring system. In the
            other scoring system, all 48 soldiers showed penile response to adult
            females, as did 40 of 48 to adolescent females, and notably, 28 of 48
            showed penile response to the female children age 4–10.”

• Donna Hill

Yes, and I will consult Guttmacher next time I am thinking about getting an abortion. I am sure they are not biased at all being funded by Planned Parenthood and all. When you want something badly enough, there is always “research” out there to cherry pick. Fine you win. Go have sex with your uncle.

• sirhotalot

This isn’t cherry picking, the studies are conclusive. Just because you disagree with them doesn’t make them wrong.

• Kathryn

Are you serious? Those are TINY samples used in those studies. That’s ridiculous to generalize from those small samples. And where did the subjects come from? Picked from people already in some kind of sex-related therapy? Or people standing at doorways to adult sex toy shops asking if they’d like to take a sex survey? Cause either of course would be a super normal group on the demographic curve. Give me a break. Those are NOT conclusive studies at all. They are highly suspect. Go check with a statistical and research expert about study protocols, statistical errors, and adequate sample groups.

• sirhotalot

I’d recommend you go check yourself, the studies are available to read online. They are peer reviewed and have been duplicated. The sample sizes are respectable and the number of studies done shows the numbers are consistent.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Debbie-Jaynes/1591664764 Debbie Jaynes

Kinsey. Google Judith Reisman

Kinsey Table 34

• sirhotalot

There were a lot of problems with Kinseys work, but Judith Reisman has been well debunked. She also believes homosexuality caused Nazism.

• Jesse Schoeder

speaking of Nazis. I once at a very young age(most probably acceptable in your opinion) had a very 1960’s gay hippie regale me with his twisted fantasy of being a young jewish boy held down in a bathtub while Nazis ejaculated on him until the tub was filled and he drowned in the semen.

begin sarcasm-yummm.-end sarcasm.

Does it really matter what caused it?

Seems like they get together and hold hands every so often.

Nothin’ wrong with that.

• Donna Hill

There is a group out there called B4U-ACT, google it. They are lobbying the psych industry to normalize and be more “understanding” to pedophiles. So you are not that far off. I bet in a few years or less, Yale will invite them and NAMBLA so people can “understand” them better.

• http://www.goodwinsocialmedia.com Bryan Goodwin

No John they do not want you to judge the because they want to sleep your 6 year old kid. Judging a person for their desires that they want to act out on would be wrong. Having sex with a six year old they dont see a problem with that. It is perfectly normal. You wanting to protect your child from perverts you are over protective. There is abortion for any side effects.

• Nixak-77

So this is what so-called ‘higher’ [NOT!] education in Ivy League colleges is really all about. Engendering a so-called ‘better understanding’ [= acceptance] of people [mainly ?women? in this {sex}work-shop -&- What’s the implications that this Yale {sex}work-shop’s director was a 14 yr old girl & another ‘participant’ was 15?] who enjoy getting their swerve / freak on w: their pets &/or fathers / brothers / uncles, &/or by turning tricks for $$$, & that over half of these [?women / girl?] folks enjoy sadomasochistic sex [so when does sadomasochism cross the line from consensual sexualized abuse & pain to outright sexual assault / rape / torture]!!!
        Maybe they’re out to ‘normalize’ these so-called ‘alternative sexual life-styles / behaviors’ the same way Kinsey’s so-called ‘sex research’ has been used to normalized so-called ‘marriage equality’.

On a slightly different Note- Yale’s sister Ivy league college Harvard, has stirred-up a ‘sh*t-storm’ by granting a PhD to a guy whose thesis was that Hispanics [especially ‘Latin American’ immigrants] have a genetically inferior IQ than white Anglo WASPs [this guy Richwine is a big fan of Mr ‘Bell Curve’ Charles Murray – So IMO they should call his PhD level Racist / Eugenicist paper ‘Bell Curve 2.0 – this time the Hispanics’]. Yet the guy failed to even give a precise racial / genetic based definition of a Latin American – cause IMO he knows full well NO such definition exists. Which means that his thesis falls flat on its face right there- but Harvard gave him the PhD anyway.
        – Then there’s the oft sited work [by austerity hawks ala Paul Ryan] of 2 Harvard economists that’s been used by Paul Ryan & his ilk to justify slashing SS & medicare, food-stamps & unemployment, etc. Except that some folks from PERI recently showed that these 2 Harvard E-CON ‘experts’ work is actually erroneous due to a MS-Excel Coding ERROR [HUHH??!!]

IMO the one thing these 3 [scandalous] stories have in common is they indicate some really dubious social / poly-trickal / E-CON agendas of the [Ivy Leaguer] Power Elites!!!

• Mister

This is what has become of a once-proud institution? What a waste of money for the poor saps who’ve managed this monumental matriculation.

• DurkaDurka

Fking degenerate’s.

• Stephen Archer

What a waste of money, and our time. Yale, you should be ashamed our yourselves!

• Stephen Archer

It is also absolutely disgusting.

• sirhotalot

I’m shocked by the negative reaction to this seminar. It’s a shame just how uneducated and frightened people are about human sexuality and how uncomfortable people are with their own feelings. Incest, bestiality, pedophilia, all of these are normal sexual feelings and incredibly common. Incest and pedophilia are practiced in every society on the planet, not even homosexuality is as pervasive. Our societies disgust and aversion of sex is a major cause of aggression, violence, and neuroticism.

I think a big part of the fear and hatred people have towards these subjects is that they themselves have these feelings and are ashamed by them, especially having been taught their whole lives that they are wrong. Their reaction is similar to the people in the anti-gay movement who have accepted their own homosexuality after spending years radically opposing it.

• Donna Hill

Keep it up Yale. Next time you guys can invite B4U-ACT and NAMBLA, so we can “understand” pedophiles better and learn not to “judge” them. You guys are so intellectual and advanced, and the rest of society is so ignorant and hateful. You are right, bestiality and incest are TOTALLY normal. I am so glad we have beacons of morality like those at Yale to teach the rest of us! Can’t wait to see what is next.

• sirhotalot

How do you feel about cousin marriage? It was common in America up until the 60s. Several of our presidents were married to their cousins. In fact it’s still common in many parts of the world: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3778275,00.html

• Donna Hill

Okay, you are right. Yay, Incest!

• Donna Hill

I do not rule my life by how I “feel”. That is the problem with you leftist extremists, if it feels good, then it is okay. No rules, no judgements. Now I see why you are not using your real name, you are in idiot. The couple in article you referenced are Orthodox Jews and rule their lives by Torah. As far as Torah is concerned, they were NOT an
          incestuous couple. Incest is forbidden in Torah, and any children resulting from such a relationship are regarded as mamzers for ten generations. The article just says “cousin”. They could have been 4th cousins once
          removed for all you know. If you are a Yale student, your parents should get a refund.

• sirhotalot

Ad hominems are not arguments.

First cousin relationships are considered incestuous and is what we are discussing. I’m not asking about how the Torah feels about incest, I’m asking how you feel about it. I used that article as an example to show you it’s something that happens. Here’s another one: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-04/nesc-wnm042512.php

You claim you don’t rule your life by how you feel, but then why do you have a problem with consensual incestuous relationships? I know a couple who are brother and sister and they’re very happy, their relationship doesn’t hurt anybody and yet society stigmatizes them. In ancient Rome it would have been considered normal, a quarter of all registered marriages were brother and sister couples.

• Donna Hill

Okay, I will say it again, that article DID NOT SPECIFY THAT THAT COUPLE WERE FIRST COUSINS. Should I say it in Chinese?

I will say again, it does not matter how I “feel” about it. I am Jewish and similar to the aforementioned couple, use Torah to guide my views on modesty and morality. I do not use leftist rationalization, intellectual justification, feelings or “research” to override what the Torah indicates. I am not so arrogant to assume that I know more than my ancestors, who were persecuted and tortured by your moral role models, the Ancient Romans and Greeks, for adhering to their beliefs.

• sirhotalot

You claim you don’t let feelings rule you, but it’s clear you do. I’d recommend taking a class in logical reasoning.

• westernZOO

“I am Jewish and similar to the aforementioned couple, use Torah to guide my views on modesty and morality.”

So you use an invisible make believe Santa Claus in the sky to guide your life, ok thanks for telling us so we know to dismiss your words offhand.

• Uncle Beal

I ain’t never had no sex with a ad hominem that I know of but it sounds kinda kinky.

And my sister, Aunt Bunny, said i shouldn’t be a postin’ on a highfaluting educational site like this.

• westernZOO

“I do not rule my life by how I “feel”. That is the problem with you
            leftist extremists, if it feels good, then it is okay. No rules, no
            judgements.”

The problem with you right wing extremists is you not only live YOUR life according to words claimed to be from an invisible, fictional Santa Claus in the sky, but you demand all the rest of us dumb sheeple on this planet adhere and abide by YOUR beliefs, and what YOU want! It don’t work that way, there’s thousands of beliefs, and the best one is by wiccans and pagans to the effect that if it harms no one, do what you will. What that means is, what I do in bed as long as I don’t demand you watch or participate, or show you videos and pictures of it, it’s none of your business or that of anyone elses.

It becomes your business if I feel like driving my car 90 mph on a residential street and run over your mailbox, but that doesn’t come under the credo of […]if it harms no one[…] because that act would harm someone.

Whether I marry my couson, sister, the dog, a large rock, a person of color, have sex with my sister, the dog, a large rock, a woman 50 years older than me, or another man harms no one and is therefore none of your business, or that of anyone elses. It would become your business if I left the drapes open and you had a full view from your kitchen window, that’s DIFFERENT.

“Incest is forbidden in Torah, and any children resulting from such a relationship are regarded as mamzers for ten generations.”

I don’t care what some silly piece of paper written by men long ago with an AGENDA to control the dumb sheeple of the era and keep them in FEAR says, but it never fails to amaze me how this thing you worship condemns TEN generations of innocents in some kind of twisted revenge, reminds me of the xtian’s fable about how Adam and Eve’s eating the apple in the garden condemned the entire planet’s population past and future in some kind of twisted revenge plot for something none of us had one iota of anything to do with.

That’s the problem with religion- it’s subversive, punitive, it destroys people’s self esteem with concepts taught that were all dirty, unworthy, filthy “sinners” who only by grovelling and begging on bended knee, not to mention paying lots of CASH to the church for “forgiveness” for something none of us did, are we even looked at!

• Jesse Schoeder

In Wisconsin you can marry a cousin under 1 condition. One of you must be sterilized. True.

• Goldie ’08

In Shelbyville you can marry your cousin

• westernZOO

Who cares, as long as they are adults it’s no ones business

• Jesse Schoeder

Alright then. Where’s the data on how little children feel about this.

• sirhotalot

http://pastebin.com/rtwHRvbW

This study in particular highlights how societies perception of the behavior causes damage:

Nelson, Joan A. (1986). “Incest: Self-Report Findings From a Nonclinical Sample,” Journal of Sex Research, 22(4), 473-474.
        “No force of any kind was found in 49% (68) of the reports. Yet 30% (14) of these no-force experiences were described as negative. The individuals described their otherwise consensual experiences as affected negatively by guilt or fear of social or parental disapproval, an issue which emerged repeatedly in the interviews and written responses, both positive and negative. Approximately half of the female respondents and 4% of the male respondents stated that they continued to experience conflict in regard to their incest experiences, usually associated with, if not a direct result of, guilt, even though many of the relationships had terminated many years before the report. One respondent commented, “I went crazy trying to understand how anything so good could be so bad.””

• Jesse Schoeder

“I went crazy trying to understand how anything so good could be so bad.””

I used to steal cars when I was a teen.
          My sisters landlord would enter her apartment when she was gone and let his pecker swim with the pickles in the jar.
          Ted Bundy would saw off ladies heads doggy style.

All of these things feel good i’m sure.

• sirhotalot

There’s a big difference between sawing somebodies leg off, stealing cars, and having consensual sex. If the person in question feels she wasn’t hurt despite everybody around her saying she was, who’s right? If she goes through the rest of her life feeling the sex she had as a child with an older person was great and caused her no harm, who’s right? Who are you to tell her it was wrong?

• Kathryn

You seem AWFULLY invested in this. And pretty hung up on defending the righteousness of these acts. You argue that because a brother/sister couple is happy that it’s OK. So feeling = fact? Really? And if their comfort with it defines it as normal for THEM, then why cannot the above Jewish responder define it as abnormal based on HER own discomfort with it? If you’re going to practice moral relativism then the door swings both ways on that.

• sirhotalot

It’s fine if she’s uncomfortable with it, the problem is there shouldn’t be any laws against it. If an incestuous couple is happy, why should it be illegal just because it makes people uncomfortable?

• skrillcosby

Either you’re an awesome troll or one of the worst people I’ve ever encountered. Including on the internet, 4chan, etc

snake oil

• http://twitter.com/beelew Brian J. Lewis

Folks, sure am glad to have gotten my google Yale alert to find out that the fricking Drudgereport (of all terrible places to show up) got to quote a completely misleading but seemingly scientific breakdown of the incidence of sexwork amongst Yale undergrads. Great start to my day. I recall a time when people doing sex surveys on a campus had to abide by ethical constraints and best practices created by research organizations. Now, you can lure a bunch of undergrads into a building with the false promise of a safe environment to speak frankly about something intimate and get them to answer questions that seem designed to create scandal surrounding what has always been a wonderful institution. I have more to say about the fact that a college newspaper is pooping troll bait to the detriment of its readership’s reputation, but I’ll go ahead and not feed them anymore. Very disappointed.

• AVG

Liberal hero Allen Ginsburg was a proud Nambla member.

• Jesse Schoeder

Alright then. Where’s the data on how little children feel about this? Seems reasonable that they should bring the children into these forums and ask them how they feel about being the objects of someones sexual desire.

Go ahead invite some kids.

Hey never mind being ashamed.
    Shame will be a cake walk compared to all the kicks and bruises.

• Jesse Schoeder

Here’s how its gonna work. Moslems with their religious freedom will demand that they can marry 9 year old girls. Gays will say “that’s not fair, I wanna marry a little boy.”

so let it be written so let it be done.

• westernZOO

Gays do not want to marry little boys with a shrunken almost non functional penis the size of your pinky, they want a relationship with a MAN who has the right sized tool and knows how to use it.
      PEDOPHILES want little boys and girls, pedophiles are not “gays” they are pedophiles.

• Jesse Schoeder

apparently you “won’t” see the forest for the trees.
        I don’t think all gays are pedophiles. But you seem to believe that in no way could a gay be a pedophile.

But, what ever.
        You’re here to defend the indefensible.Fine.
        you’ll forgive me if I throw up in my mouth?

Nice reference to a small boys genitals asshat.

No social grace.

• westernZOO

You cant seem to figure out what gay means and what pedophile means, a gay man is a GAY man not apedophile, a pedophile is a PEDOPHILE not a gay man.

Similar to how a zoophile is a zoophile not a pedophile or a gay, your problem is you cling to the 1950s when bigot Charles Keating produced and distributed those “safety films” shown in schools back then with titles like “Boys beware!” and “Girls beware!” both are in archive.org to view free.

When you watch them he clearly throughout the entire films constantly connects homoSEXual (with vocal emphasis on the “SEX” part of the word) with pedophilia, and argues through the film that these homoSEXuals hang around playgrounds and schools, where ever young innocent children may play, in the hopes of LURING them away to their cars and having their wicked way with them and then murdering them.

He even went so far as to include graphic police photos of two dead bodies of little girls who were murdered by these stalking lacivious homoSEXuals lurking around all the playgrouds and places children are so they they can SNATCH them up and carry them off!

It’s no wonder the hysteria and worse surrounding gays has been what it still is, being shown false mind rot films under the guise of “safety” produced by an extremist right wing KOOK with an agenda.

Most children and teens sexually abused or raped by pedophiles are GIRLS not boys 3 out of 4 or roughly 75% of victims are FEMALES, so much for the GAY pedophile stereotype!

In addition, 1/3 of those convicted commited the crime against their own kid, so what do you get from that statement?

Their “OWN kid” means they married or slept with a WOMAN who gave birth, that’s not very “gay” either!

Quote:

U. S. Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics has combined
          a study of characteristics among those child victims of convicted sex
          offenders and child molesters. These statistics are based on the reports of offenders in the Survey of Inmates of State Correctional Facilities, and include the following:

* Three out of four children who were victimized were female.

* One-third of the covicted offenders had committed a crime against their own child.

• Acquaintance perpetrators are the most common abusers, constituting approximately
          70-90% of all reported perpetrators.

– Finkelhor, D. 1994

• 89% of child sexual assault cases involve persons known to the child, such as a caretaker or family acquaintance.
          – Diana Russell Survey, 1978

• 29% of child sexual abuse offenders are relatives, 60% are acquaintances,
          and only 11% are strangers.

– Diana Russell, The Secret Trauma,
          NY:Basic Books, 1986

• sirhotalot

It should be noted that most people who sexually abuse kids don’t identify as pedophiles.

• westernZOO

Just because they don’t doesn’t mean they aren’t, and it doesn’t matter whether they do or not. You’ll want to cite your sources if any for your statement.

• Jesse Schoeder

And there is a difference between Taboo and Illegal.
    Taboo is something you won’t or don’t wanna talk about.
    Illegal means you can’t do it.
    So keep on havin’ these little groups of yers.
    But you should be aware that the man in the 3rd row with the boy face is in reality a sex crimes detective scoping for what you think are “normal people”.
    There takin’ names and memorizing faces.

Their doing their jobs.

So call it taboo if you will.
    It’s just not the reality of it.

• westernZOO

LOL, oh sure, well the penalty in most states for bestiality is a misdemenor, in many little more than a fine such as you might get for jay walking. The cops have far more work to do and important real crimes to do than stalking people in a class on the hopes of getting lucky, they have to justify the states’ tax money expenses. Also, just because someone says they have sex with animals or have had in the past, that is not proof any court can prosecute with, there has to be physical proof, photos, eye witness testimony under oath, videos or a written/signed confession before they can do anything.
      They can’t just bust someone based on a verbal claim, there are also other things such as statutes of limitations, which on most crimes is no more than five years.

• Jesse Schoeder

A guy in my town shot ,killed and had sex with his neighbors horse. He was sentenced to treatment and then a little stay over in a halfway house.

One day he went to run some errands and came home with blood all over his T-shirt.
        When pressed for answers he admitted finding a deer that had been struck by a car on a back road in the sticks.
        He stated that he simply couldn’t resist.

Sounds like a pretty normal individual to me.

!5 years before this individual there was a strain of dog murders in my community. But that’s not what bothered people.
        It was the fact that the dogs had been sexually violated.
        Police found the dogs under bridges and highway over passes along with pornographic material. You know plain old girly sex books.

I don’t know…..

All i can say is good luck to you Professor….

You got a battle on yer hands.

• westernZOO

That guy defines the term zoosadist, just because he had sex with an animal dead or alive, or someone kills them doesn’t make him or them a zoophile, in fact those actions completely violate the meaning, definition, spirit and letter of the word “zoophile.”
          He doesn’t define or meet the critera of what a zoophile is any more than Jeffrey Dahmer defines what a married family man is just because he had sex with a woman.
          The fact that GIRLY sex porn was found is another proof this was not a zoophile, but a zoosadist and a bestialist- one who uses animals like a sex toy.
          A true zoophile wouldn’t have girly porn, they’d find pictures in regular dog or horse magazine found on any news stand or magazine shop far more erotic since the focus is on the animal, not humans.
          In many ways it’s the same as men reading playboy but not playgirl, zoophiles would read DOGworld or Horse Fancy magazine not Playboy or Playgirl.

• Jakcy

People should have understanding for rape as well. Not all people are comfortable with consent.

• LukeVA

This is scientifically and mathematically weak to draw these conclusions from such a small sample data set. Especially from college kids who aren’t always telling the truth when it comes to sex. Each person is 2% of the result. Was the animal question based on one or two people who answered yes? What’s the confidence interval for such a small sample? It’s probably larger than the percentages calculated, so the real number could easily be zero. Sounds like the desire was to have the headline more than a data driven conclusion.

• westernZOO

A simple google search for bestiality or zoophilia will pull up millions of documents, that alone proves you are wrong.

Search term: bestiality
      About 10,500,000 results

beastiality (incorrect spelling):
      About 7,360,000 results

zoophilia:
      About 1,950,000 results

Search phrase: “sex with animals” (in quotes)
      About 6,630,000 results

A look at just one large very popular bestiality related message board forum’s statistics, ( I won’t advertise for them here by naming it) commas added to make it easier to read:

Our members have made a total of 8,088,595 posts
      We have 1,182,696 registered members
      Most users ever online was 10,632 on Jun 19 2010, 08:32 PM

I don’t know of any other message board forum around that can boast they have 1.1 MILLION registered account holders! Every message board I’ve seen that shows statistics by default in the software on the main page rarely has more than a few hundred.

There’s also books, a documentary titled “Zoo” and much more.

This all pretty well shoots up your “zero” theory!

• LukeVA

I’m not suggesting these interests don’t exist in society. I’m just saying those conclusions can’t be reached in a statistically rigourous way from such a small sample set. Data from Google doesn’t change that.

• westernZOO

Well considering the topic, this is about the only way to get any idea as to the popularity of interest in the matter, since surveys involving limited numbers of people on such highly charged personal matters as sex practices cannot easily be extrapolated for a broad cross-section of society.

In other words, interviewing 500 people and drawing conclusions about the remaining 308 million in the USA based on the responses of the 500 is insanely inaccurate, it’s like counting the blades of grass in one square inch of your lawn and then putting forth a number of blades on the entire planet. The smaller the study group the more innacurate it is.

Google on the other hand is used world-wide by large percentages of the population, by everyone from children to seniors, low income to wealthy.

Statistics are compiled of the search terms, and other statistics are compiled of the number of documents on the web which contain those search terms. Those figures show an approximate number of documents, the figures do not show the motives of the documents or the motives of the searcher, thus, a document FOR zoophilia and another document CONDEMNING it cound as two documents, ditto for the search term whether someone is searching for “hot animal sex” or “preventing animal abuse” the two documents count as two.

It does give a good indication of the amount of interest, after all, if there was little interest there would be few pages and documents on it.

Google has a trends page, it’s pretty poor, but it gives a different clue as to what exactly people use for search terms even if it doesn’t include statistical numbers:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bestiality&date=today%2012-m&cmpt=q

• yalie

A lot of the critics seem to be conflating understanding and acceptance. They are not the same thing.

• John Ritchie

Often times, the same proponents of libertine sexual behavior turn against the Church and Her doctrine of moral practice, claiming that it is an Institution that fosters abuse. Yet, in this context, moral aberrations are presented as “fantasies.” Does this episode at Yale spell the end of Ivy League education? In some respects I fear the answer is YES.

• theantiyale

This whatcha get when a generation (MINE !) turns procreation into recreation.

• westernZOO

procreation is no longer necessary, we have an overpopulation crisis.

• Jesse Schoeder

So hey, I got a boner. Bring on the butts?

Turnip.

• Jesse Schoeder

I don’t know what’s worse, personally.

The guy with the cantaloupe sized butt plug in his rectum with the big smile on his face orrrr the even bigger SMILE on the face of the guy jack hammering the butt plug into the smiling guys rectum.

Cause for concern.

Not for the guy gettin’ it tho……

• Diane Sergiacomi

hope they keep the names of this psychos it may come in handy when they r looking 4 abusers n serial killers

• Count R Opensoc

There can’t be any negative ramifications in teaching workshops on deviant sexual behavior at Yale. It is sanctioned by rare individuals of superior intellect who we cannot begin to question. They are my elite masters and I am a sheeple.

• westernZOO

Thank you for bringing up this issue, most people have no clue about this and only imagine what it’s like or they go by what the media tells them.
    The facts are, no matter how much some dearly wish it were so- neither dogs nor other animals are small children with fur, they are fully sexualized sexual beings and can make their own choices on what they like or dislike.
    Consent is easy, and yes animals certainly can and do consent by their body language, the same one every dog owner learns how to “read” when they get treats, leash out, or nail clippers and a rolled up newspaper. The owner quickly learns the dog’s body language display varies according to the situation and knows when their dog likes or dislikes something.
    Both male dogs and females have the same body parts human men and women do, and all female mammals have a functional clitorus- all of them.
    While “bestiality” is a catch-all word, there are at least two vastly different forms:
    1) Bestiality: using the animal as a convienient sex toy regardless of how the animal feels about it.
    1a) Zoosadism: deliberately injuring and causing pain to an animal.

2) Zoophilia: A deep emotional attachment and relationship with an animal the person regards as an EQUAL partner, usually it includes sex as part of that relationship (like a marriage does) but zoophilia does not always include sexual contact by some of the zoophilies.

Pedophilia is an act typically conducted by a heterosexual male whose sexual interest focuses on CHILDREN, pedophilia is all about control and power and pedophilia is a separate sexual orientation all its own, the sex act itself is secondary to the control and domination.

Zoophilia is a deep relationship with an animal and when it includes sex it’s never forced on the animal, anyone claiming to be a “zoophile” who forces or injures an animal does not meet the DEFINITION of “zoophile” (‘zoo’= animal, ‘phile’=lover) and instead is called a”bestialist” or a “zoosadist.”
    Zoophilia has absolutely nothing to do with, or any connection to children any more than a married adult couple who have sex are somehow pedophiles because they HAVE sex.
    A good read of wikipedia’s site on the topic of zoophilia will be eye opening.

• Jesse Schoeder

Que the effin violins for the last two paragraphs.
      Rich unbelievably rich.

• westernZOO

Good, please do, nothing sounds nicer than some good soft classical violin music during sex!

• Jesse Schoeder

now that was borderline funny.
          But you’re serious.
          And I puked in my mouth once again.

• westernZOO

Better stop reading then cause I hear vomiting a lot can damage tooth enamel, and we wouldn’t want you to damage the three teeth you have left by reading more on this.

• Jesse Schoeder

you make an awful lot of assumptions.

Are you certain you’re right about anything at all?

Of course you do have that whole wikipedia thing to assuage away any guilt you may have for your unsavory behavior.

That should be license enough for everyone.

• westernZOO

I dont use wikipedia, it’s one of hundreds of resources I can cite that offer both sides of the coin pro and con.
            I dont and never had any “guilt” over anything, guilt or shame regarding sex or nudity is religious dogma, religious beliefs don’t apply to me as I don’t worship on bended knee or grovel at the altar on some invisible Santa Claus in the sky.

Understanding Bestiality and Zoophillia (The Book)

– PROLOGUE –

This is a book about people who have sexual relations with
            animals, a behavior known as “bestiality,” and people (known as “zoos”) who are sexually and emotionally attracted to animals, a condition known as “zoophilia.” More specifically, this book details my journey conducting a study about bestiality and zoophila.

I was intrigued with the idea that there are people who
            may be sexually attracted to animals, and may even prefer animals as sex partners to humans. I decided to dedicate my doctoral dissertation to this topic and began to study bestiality and zoophila.

http://www.drmiletski.com/bestiality.html

• Jesse Schoeder

Wikipedia it’s the entire collective aggregate of human knowledge!

Derp.

• westernZOO

Peer reviewed research into zoophilia in its own right started around 1960. However, a number of the most oft-quoted studies, such as Miletski, were not published in peer-reviewed journals. There have been several significant modern books, from Masters (1962) to Beetz (2002); their research arrived at the following conclusions:

Most zoophiles have (or have also had) long term human relationships as well or at the same time as zoosexual ones, and that zoosexual partners are usually dogs and/or horses (Masters, Miletski, Beetz)
      Zoophiles’ emotions and care for animals can be real, relational, authentic and (within animals’ abilities) reciprocal, and not just a substitute or means of expression. Beetz believes zoophilia is not an inclination which is chosen.
      Society in general at present is considerably misinformed about zoophilia, its stereotypes, and its meaning.

The distinction between zoophilia and zoosadism is a critical one to these researchers, and is highlighted by each of these studies. Masters (1962), Miletski (1999) and Weinberg (2003) each comment significantly on the social harm caused by misunderstandings regarding zoophilia.

Andrea Beetz also states the following:

“The phenomenon of sexual contact with animals is starting to lose
      its taboo: it is appearing more often in scholarly publications, and the
      public are being confronted with it, too.[…] Sexual contact with
      animals – in the form of bestiality or zoophilia – needs to be discussed
      more openly and investigated in more detail by scholars working in
      disciplines such as animal ethics, animal behavior, anthrozoology,
      psychology, mental health, sociology, and the law.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=animal-lovers-zoophiles-make-scient-2010-03-24

• Jesse Schoeder

Squaaaaak! goes the parrot.

Minority reports?
        Really?

Yer all over the place dinklemann.

According to this article a person could be a pedophile,zoophile and function for long periods in normal relationships.

Gay or straight.

keep reachin’ tho.

1rst sentence 2nd paragraph your source……

• westernZOO

“According to this article a person could be a pedophile,zoophile and function for long periods in normal relationships.”

A study of <100 participants doesn't set in stone the criteria for the entire planet's population.
          An adult male in his 20s or 30s who decides to "come out" as gay after they realize they were living a LIE, maybe even marrying a woman for all the wrong reasons, and finally cames to terms with what they really are.
          People are in denial all the time, especially under peer pressure and parents they hear bigoted remarks from growing up.
          Even the legislator in the news now did a 180 on gays after his own adult son confessed to being GAY. I'm sure the son lived in the closed all his teen years growing up and pretended to be hetero because his dad was an outspoken bigot who actually signed onto the bills making gay marriage illegal.

Being in a "normal" relationship for a long period doesn't make them heterosexual, it makes them at best bi-sexual and they had denied and suppressed their gay side due to family and peer pressure, they were never hetero to begin with.

Just because SOME zoophiles also had or have relationships with women or men doesn't mean much either, but a TRUE zoophile exclusive only has an interest in ANIMALS.

You still don't get it, the DEFINITION of the words, you cant be GAY if you are also doing women on the side, dating them, and having sex with them on a regular basis, you also can't be heterosexual if you are dating and having sex with someone of your same gender, you are either heterosexual, homosexual, or BI sexual.

A gay man and pedophilia don't jive any more than a zoophile and a zoosadist, the two terms cancel each other out- you cant love and care for an animal as a partner and at the same time willingly HARM them, the very word "zoo" and "phile" translated means "animal lover" you can't be an animal lover and deliberately cause harm at the same time.

Oh I'm sure there's a RARE exception to anything, the 1 in a million, but since 75% of the pedophile victims are FEMALE, and the majority of them are molested by a family member, that pretty well kills off most of the "gay" pedophile comments. 25% of the victims are boys, and a significant percentage of the pedophiles abusing them are WOMEN.

Kerplonk goes the troll, get lost little bigot.

• Jesse Schoeder

So much wind.You put a lot of effort into your ass-humptions about people.

You wanna drag me into yer little political battle.Fine

I’ll bite. You are wrong about me. No where did I ever specifically say that gay people are pedophiles no more than I was stating that Moslems were pedophiles.

Moslems marry children. Can we agree on that much.

America has freedom of religion,no?

Can we agree that these religious sects in this country get to practice some pretty weird shit?

You’re not calling Moslems child molesters are you?

That would make you a bigot.

As far as any one can tell this is perfectly acceptable and normal behavior.

Hey they got rights.What about yours?

Now I’m gonna jump real fast for you right to the place that pisses you off and you can fill in the blanks cause yer so effin smart and say that when a man marries a little boy he is gay.

Yep. That’s right I said it.

But if it matters.

I support gay marriage you little queen.

Just not marriage to children.

I got somethin’ to say about the precedence that is set by allowing marriage to mean” whatever.”

Listen you limit this thing to man and woman, man and man or woman and woman and I just might shake yer hand on it,but yer gonna have to wash it first.

Other than that I don’t need yer regurgitated homo sexual rhetoric.

Troll?
            Squawk!
            No thoughts of yer own. Sad.

I guess it’s easier with animals. Tho don’t give you no guff.

• westernZOO

They are not “Moslems” they are called “Muslims”

I don’t care if Muslims marry children, their goat or a large rock in the back yard, it’s of zero concern to me and not my business to tell them what to do in their culture.

The Greeks practiced pedophilia, and numerous works of art and every day items such as vases and ceramics depicting bestiality, sex and more were found everywhere in Pompei and throughout Greece. The men showed the boys how to engage in sex, that was the culture, that’s how it was.
            In New Guinea even today Melanesian tribesmen teach boys to consume semen to grow into strong men and warriors, it’s part of that culture and has been for ages, it’s not my problem, place or concern what they do.

In Northern Columbia in a certain area the boys and the men often have sex with donkeys, they claim it makes their member bigger, no one cares what they do, it’s part of the culture, even the women don’t care, and a film was made documenting it, even showing one of the locals in the act.

I live in the USA, what other people do in foreign countries is of no interest to me, nor is it any of my business, the fact Americans mess into other people’s business at the country level now, and tell them what to do is why we are almost universally hated around the globe.

I don’t bother with religion and I don’t care what they do as long as 1) they don’t try telling ME what to do, and 2) they don’t try forcing their bs and religious propaganda on me in any way shape or form, including leaving fliers on my doorstep, or writing laws based on THEIR beliefs I don’t share in the first place.

What is normal is defined by each culture, place and time, here we murder cows by the millions, in India they are worshipped.
            Here we trat dogs like family, in China and other places they raise them like cattle for MEAT.

Planet earth would be a hell of a lot better if people would mind their own business and stay out of other people’s bedrooms and private affairs.

• Jesse Schoeder

Such hatred and vitriol in you. It’s almost as “icky” as your shameless perversions.

But i should have figured I was talking to a turnip that thought he was talking to another turnip.

I’m no turnip.

Carry on professor.

• CrossSpeciesAlliance

Hatred of zoophiles is the new homophobia, the new racism, the new anti-semitism. Bigots, deprived of other minority groups on which to vent their impotent feelings of powerlessness and insecurity, have picked zoophiles as the new “socially acceptable” target for persecution and discrimination.

No longer do zoophiles accept this designation as the most recent target of cowardly bigots.

Go somewhere else to find your easy victims. We are victims no longer. And we joyfully reject your broken, pathological, anti-historical, unscientific, and downright pathetic misunderstanding of humanity’s true integration with the rest of the living world.

We reject your hatred, and we embrace our role as a part of humanity for as long as our species has existed. We have been here along, we will be here tomorrow, and we will be a healthy and positive part of the efforts of our species to rediscover its legitimate role in the web of life.

We are the Cross Species Alliance. We do not fear you. We never will.

• westernZOO

Bestiality and Zoophilia: Sexual Relations with Animals
    Andrea M. Beetz,
    Anthony L. Podberscek

This is an authoritative study into a traditionally taboo subject. It is not a work of erotica but presents the works of authorities on the subject. The authors have researched, as far as is possible, those who do, or have indulged in the practices since the beginnings of human history. The book also contains a useful bibliography.

Anthony L. Podberscek is a director at the Centre for Animal Welfare & Anthrozoology Department of Veterinary Medicine University of Cambridge, UK. Andrea M. Beetz is at the Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, UK

Andrea M. Beetz, Dipl.-Psych., Dr. phil. works as a psychologist in research on attachment, emotional intelligence, and human-animal interactions. She received her degrees from the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, and has also conducted several research projects in the USA at University of California, and Utah State
    University, Logan, Utah, and in the UK at the University of Cambridge.

Her research was supported by several scholarships from German
    foundations including the DAAD and the German Research Foundation (DFG).
    Andrea M. Beetz has published and presented her research on several
    international conferences. The focus of her current work in human-animal
    interactions is the application of attachment theory to human-animal
    relationships, the development of emotional intelligence and empathy,
    and correlates of animal abuse.

ISBN-10: 1847883540

Of note is the fact the book does not condemn zoophilia, and concludes as does the Miletski book, that the sexual attraction towards animals meets the definition of, and is likely a sexual orientation.
    Of special note is the fact that both authors’ credentials above show that they work in the veterinary medicine field, as such they are in a special position to see the issue from both sides- as animal health advocates who have studied animal behaviour, biology, physiology etc., and in the psychiatric field as well.

• Jesse Schoeder

Desperado, why don’t you come to your senses?
    You been out ridin’ fences for so long now
    Oh, you’re a hard one
    I know that you got your reasons
    These things that are pleasin’ you
    Can hurt you somehow

Don’t you draw the queen of diamonds, boy
    She’ll beat you if she’s able
    You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet

Now it seems to me, some fine things
    Have been laid upon your table
    But you only want the ones that you can’t get

Desperado, oh, you ain’t gettin’ no younger
    Your pain and your hunger, they’re drivin’ you home
    And freedom, oh freedom well, that’s just some people talkin’
    Your prison is walking through this world all alone

Don’t your feet get cold in the winter time?
    The sky won’t snow and the sun won’t shine
    It’s hard to tell the night time from the day
    You’re losin’ all your highs and lows
    Ain’t it funny how the feeling goes away?

Come down from your fences, open the gate
    It may be rainin’, but there’s a rainbow above you
    You better let somebody love you, before it’s too late

am I right or am I right?

• peter Kehoe

geez I’m pretty sure that i read that these conference goers had already engaged in these acts prior to the workshop anbd were just admitting it through the text questions. Yale has nothing to do with it and the sexologist is just gathering information from willing disclosers.