Friday night’s 4–2 win over Princeton started off with a bang: three goals, two penalties and one injured player carried off the ice, all within the first five minutes.

“We didn’t get rattled, we just stuck with the plan and eventually we were able to break through,” Bulldog head coach Keith Allain said.

The Tigers opened up the scoring with a speedy effort from Tyler Maugeri just 20 seconds into play. Maugeri picked up a loose puck and screamed up the ice, splitting the Yale defense and shoveling a backhander off the right post above Malcolm’s shoulder and into the net to put Princeton up 1–0.

After a similar rush occurred, Andrew Ammon of the Princeton lost control and slammed into goaltender Jeff Malcolm ’13. Malcolm remained on the ice for a few minutes before the trainer helped him off the ice while Malcolm kept the weight off his leg. Ammon was assessed a rushing the goaltender penalty. Yale was able to capitalize on the opportunity and tie things back up quickly. Captain and forward Andrew Miller ’13 collected the puck along the left boards and sent it up to defenseman Tommy Fallen ’15 at the left point. Fallen then blasted a low shot on the ice toward Condon. Miller was screening Condon and Jesse Root ’14 tipped the shot between Condon’s legs to tie the game.

After the goal, a tripping penalty was assessed to forward Carson Cooper ’16 and the Tigers were able to regain the lead again just 17 seconds later on a power-play goal when Princeton defenseman Michael Sdao, an Ottawa Senators draft pick, picked up an unassisted goal to make it 2–1.

After holding the lead for 10 minutes, the Bulldogs struck again to even things up. Leading scorer Kenny Agostino ’14 picked the puck up along the right boards and skated around the tops of the circles to try and get a shot on net. After a Princeton defenseman stepped into his shooting lane, Agostino instead dropped the puck back to Fallen at the point and skated to the net. Fallen fired a slap shot from the blue line while Agostino slipped undetected past the Tiger defense and picked up Fallen’s rebound. Agostino then skated past a sprawling Condon to slide the puck under him to tie the game yet again.

The remainder of the first period went scoreless, but the game became much more physical and after Princeton assistant captain Michael Sdao took a few unprovoked runs at Yale players, including Miller and Nico Weberg ’15, penalties were assessed much more freely.

Despite the physical adversity, the Elis gained momentum through the second and were able to finish the period outshooting the Tigers 35–16 on 72 and 32 shot attempts, respectively.

Just over three minutes into the second, Clinton Bourbonais ’14 picked up the puck on a shot from Ryan Obuchowksi ’14 right in front of Condon. Bourbonais then glided uncontested in front of Condon and slid it past him on the far side of the net to give the Bulldogs their first lead of the game.

The Bulldogs were able to close out a hard-fought game in the third period with one final goal from Miller. After a quiet but fast third period of action, Miller sealed the win for the Bulldogs when he and Weberg skated in on a two-on-one opportunity. Miler fed Weberg entering the zone who ripped a shot off Condon’s shoulder. Miller then drove to the net and smacked the rebound past Condon as he fell to the ice to put the Bulldogs up 4–2 with three minutes and 18 seconds left in the game.

The last three minutes saw penalties given to Sdao, Miller and Princeton’s Michael Ambrosia. With a minute left, the Tigers pulled Condon and the Bulldogs had a few empty-net opportunities which came to naught. But with a lead of 4–2, the game was the Bulldogs’ for the taking.

Tomorrow night, the No. 8 Bulldogs will host crosstown rival No. 2 Quinnipiac in a matchup at Ingalls Rink. Puck drop is at 7 p.m.