Forward Stu Wilson’s ’16 rebound goal past Cornell goaltender Andy Iles gave the Elis their fifth straight win and third overtime victory this season Friday in Ithaca. But Yale’s five-game winning streak was snapped the next night when Colgate upset the Bulldogs 4–1 in Hamilton, N.Y.

On Friday night, the No. 8 Bulldogs (12–5–3, 8–4–1 ECAC) made the four-and-a-half hour trek northwest to take on No. 18 Cornell in front of a full Lynah Rink. The Elis downed the Big Red (8–9–2, 4–6–2) 3–2 in overtime but were unable to complete three straight sweeps, splitting the weekend 1–1 after the loss to the Raiders.

The Big Red held a lead over the Bulldogs throughout most of regulation, starting with an early goal from Cornell forward Brian Ferlin just under two minutes into the game.

Wilson opened the scoring for the Elis in the second with an even-strength goal when he picked the puck up off the boards on a bounce pass from defenseman Colin Dueck ’13 and skated above the top of the circles, blasting a low-wrist shot past Iles to tie the game.

About nine minutes later, the Big Red pushed ahead again when defenseman John Esposito converted Cornell’s third man advantage of the game for a goal to go up 2–1. Esposito scored on one of only three shots taken by the Big Red in the second period.

Despite the teams’ equal scoring totals in the period, the Bulldogs outshot the Big Red 11–3 and the momentum tilted in the visitors’ favor as the third period started. Leading scorer Kenny Agostino ’14 caught a pass from captain Andrew Miller ’13, walked to the high slot and ripped a shot over Iles’ shoulder so hard the referees video-reviewed the shot. The goal tied the game back up just over a minute into the third.

A scoreless rest of the third period sent the game to overtime — just where the well-conditioned Bulldogs like to play. The Elis are unbeaten in six overtime games this season.

A brief two and a half minutes into overtime, Wilson picked up a rebound from Ryan Obuchowski’s ’16 shot from the point and smacked it past Iles to clinch the Elis’ 12th victory of the season.

“It was a great character win for us,” head coach Keith Allain ’80 said to yalebulldogs.com. “We battled back and battled back, and we had to kill some big penalties down the stretch. … We gradually took the game over and deserved to win in overtime.”

The following night, the Bulldogs jumped on the Raiders (13–9–2, 5–6–1) early, going up 1–0 when Miller hit Agostino for a one-timer at the top of the right circle six minutes into the contest.

The remainder of the first period passed scoreless and Colgate was able to tie the game with the sole tally of the second period, a power-play goal from forward Tylor Spink.

Despite an early lead and a tight second period, the Elis were unable to hold off the Raiders in the final period of action. Colgate put away three more goals for a total of four unanswered to close out the game. The second and third of these scores came at even strength from defender Kevin Lough and forward John Lidgett. Tyson Spink, twin of Tylor Spink, closed out the scoring with the Raiders’ fourth goal, and the Spink twins fittingly bookended Colgate’s scoring with power-play goals.

Next weekend, the Bulldogs come back home to take on Princeton and No. 2 cross-town rival Quinnipiac in a pair of ECAC matchups at the Whale.