A slow start for the No. 15 Bulldogs did not stop the team from getting back in the game when it counted tonight, as the men’s hockey team faced No. 12 Union.

After Friday night’s shocking 6–1 loss to RPI, the Bulldogs (6–3–2, 3–3–1 ECAC) buzzed all over the ice from the minute the puck dropped against Union (8–3–4, 3–3–3 ECAC). Despite strong special teams play on both the power play and penalty kill, the Elis were not able to keep Union’s No. 1 ranked power play from scoring. Yale was, however, able to capitalize when it counted and score two garbage goals to come back from a 0–2 deficit to end the game in a tie.

Just over halfway through the first period, Union took advantage of a five-on-three power play, collapsing their box in around the Bulldogs, moving in closer on Jeff Malcolm ’13. Kyle Bodie got the puck at the point and slid it over to Greg Coburn. Coburn then hit Wayne Simpson on the backdoor and Simpson one-timed it off the post and just over Malcolm’s shoulder to put Yale down a goal.

Frustrated by the strong start, but unlucky odd-man situations in the first period, Yale cranked up its second period intensity. Unfortunately for the Elis, Union equally increased its intensity, and the second period saw no scores from either team.

As the third period opened up, the Dutchmen came out with the idea of ending the game early. Union was awarded another power play and more magic from Coburn, and Bodie gave the Dutchmen a two-goal lead over the Bulldogs.

After an incorrect hand-pass call on Antoine Laganiere ’13, the Dutchmen won the ensuing faceoff in the Bulldogs’ end. Bodie sent the puck over to Daniel Ciampini on the lower-left circle. Ciampini then hit Coburn in the middle of the slot and Coburn slammed it past Malcolm.

But the Bulldogs remained composed despite the two-goal deficit and finished the game with heart.

Two minutes later, Clinton Bourbonais ’14 drove the puck wide and made a drop pass to Laganiere. Laganiere then fired on net and forward Charles Orzetti ’16 flew through the slot and bashed his first career goal past last year’s Hobey Baker candidate Troy Grosenick to cut down Union’s lead to one.

Reinvigorated with some momentum after scoring their first goal late in the game, the Bulldogs attacked the Dutchmen relentlessly for the next 10 minutes without anything to show for it on the scoreboard.

Then, something clicked.

Defensemen Matt Killian ’15 hit captain Andrew Miller ’13 streaking down the left boards. Miller fired a shot off Grosenick’s far pad, and the rebound came straight out to Gus Young ’14 at the point. Young had time and space as he skated down the slot and quickly blasted the rebound past Grosenick’s right pad to tie the game. Young was instantly swarmed by his teammates as they formed a Bulldogs-pile on the player.

The last five minutes of regulation were played with intensity, but no goals came to either team, and Union played its third straight overtime game against the Bulldogs.

Overtime brought solid scoring chances for both teams, and Laganiere one-timed a shot from the middle of the slot but Grosenick was able to get a glove on it and keep the game tied.

The Bulldogs remain 0.500 in the ECAC after tonight’s tie and will play next at 7 p.m. on Tuesday night against the University of Massachusetts at Lowell in Ingalls Rink.