THE NEWS

• Yale received a total of 4,514 early applications for the Class of 2017 — a roughly 0.4 percent increase from the previous year. The number is a slight increase from the 4,323 early applications Yale received last year, which was also the first year that Harvard and Princeton reinstated their early action programs. Admissions experts interviewed said that though the numbers will naturally fluctuate each year, early applications always stay high at elite institutions.
  • Randy Fenoli, star of TLC’s reality television show “Say Yes to the Dress,” recounted his journey to become one of the most recognizable faces in the wedding dress industry during a Silliman College Masters Tea on Thursday. During his talk, Fenoli encouraged attendees to realize the importance of pursuing their dreams and finding a career path that inspires them to work hard.
  • All was quiet inside Church Street’s Ecuadorian consulate Wednesday, but for the Elm City’s estimated 265,000 Hispanics, it was far from business as usual. New Haven Latinos comprise a potent demographic that has increased by 35 percent in the past decade, according to the U.S. Census. But the explosive growth in the local Latino electorate reflects a countrywide phenomenon that has dominated national headlines since the presidential election.

THE WEATHER
High of 51 degrees, low of 29 degrees, mostly sunny.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Maple Flavored Organic Oatmeal, Waffle Bar, Blueberry Muffin

Lunch: New England Clam Chowder, Chef’s Choice Vegan Entree, Chef’s Choice Vegetarian, Dinosaur Shepherd’s Pie, Grilled Garden Burger, Batter Fried Fresh Fish, Spicy Roast Beef Sandwich, Potato Pancakes, Fresh Market Vegetable, Aragonian Lentils & Mushroom, Marinated Cauliflower & Broccoli Salad, Chewy Peanut Butter Brownie, Coconut Macaroon

Dinner: New England Clam Chowder, Sardinian Baked Eggplant, Pasta Sausage & Escarole, Chicken Parmigiana, Zucchini Frittata, Penne, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Aragonian Lentils & Mushroom, Marinated Cauliflower & Broccoli Salad, Chocolate Toffee Pudding

In Commons

No menu available

YALE DAILY NEWS