Another Yalie may be headed into government — this time, it’s University President Richard Levin.

The New York Times reported Friday that Levin’s name has been mentioned in discussions of Secretary of the Treasury candidates who would serve during U.S. President Barack Obama’s second term, if Obama is elected.

The position, currently held by Timothy F. Geithner, is expected to go to White House Chief of Staff Jacob S. Lew, but the Times mentioned Levin along with three others as possible appointees.

This is not the first time Levin’s name has been thrown around for top government posts. In early 2011, there was speculation that Obama would appoint Levin to direct the National Economic Council, though Obama eventually appointed Gene Sperling LAW ’85 instead. Levin was then under consideration for the President’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board before the Obama administration replaced it with the President’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness.

Numerous newspaper articles and blogs also speculated that Levin would be tapped to head the World Bank in 2007. The position went to Dartmouth College President Jim Yong Kim.

When reached by phone Sunday night, Levin declined to comment on the Times’ article.

JULIA ZORTHIAN