U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is slated to come to campus for a Davenport College Master’s Tea on Oct. 18, though tickets for the event will be awarded by lottery only.

Ginsburg, who was appointed to the court under former U.S. President Bill Clinton LAW ’73 in 1993, is the first Jewish female justice and the second female justice after Sandra Day O’Conner. While she is considered fairly liberal on most issues, Ginsburg has practiced a philosophy of judicial restraint during her tenure.

Before her time on the nation’s highest court, she worked as a prominent advocate for women’s rights and, from 1972-’80, taught at Columbia University and became the university’s first tenured female professor. In addition, she co-founded the Women’s Rights Project in 1972 under the American Civil Liberties Union.

Though she supports a woman’s right to abortion, Ginsburg has criticized the court’s handling of Roe v. Wade on the grounds that it overstepped judicial boundaries. She has also said that the court will likely consider the Defense of Marriage Act — which defines marriage as the union between one man and one woman — in the coming years.

Ginsburg is a Harvard alumnus, but we think we can still forgive her Crimson associations — that is, if we can somehow get our hands on one of the coveted tickets to what will undoubtedly be an extremely popular event.

HAYLEY BYRNES