Against a number of professional runners and top teams, including teams from Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth and Columbia, the men’s and women’s track and field teams each took home a medal at the Sam Howell Invitational at Princeton.

The men’s weekend was highlighted by an impressive performance all around and a gold medal by Mike Levine ’14 in the discus throw on Friday. After fouling in his first four of six attempts, Levine launched the discus 50.58 meters, nearly three meters farther than the second place competitor. Levine also took sixth in the hammer throw. Despite his accomplishments, Levine said he was not content with his throw.

“I was disappointed with my distance in the discus, although picking up the win is always nice,” Levine said. “I just have to keep working hard and get some big throws next weekend.”

Next weekend, the Elis will take on Harvard in Cambridge, Mass.

Steeplechase racer Nathan Richards ’12 also met success on Friday and placed sixth.

While the Bulldogs did not medal Saturday, they did exhibit some impressive times. The 4 x 100-meter relay team of captain Matthew Bieszard ’12, Dana Lindberg ’14, Daniel Jones ’14 and Dylan Hurley ’15 finished fourth with a time of 42.90 seconds, the squad’s second best time of the season. Bieszard also finished sixth in the 400-meter dash, with Hurley in 13th.

While the women’s team struggled to medal against top competitors last weekend, the Elis did show some impressive individual performances.

Sarah Barry ’14, for example, placed 14th in the 1500-meter run, but professional runners filled the first six spots.

Teresa Parent ’14, who competed in the long jump, leapt 5.25 meters on Friday to take tenth. Amanda Snajder ’14 came in 12th, with Elle Brunsdale ’15 in 23rd. Brunsdale was also eighth in the triple jump.

“This past weekend had us facing some strong competition, and it was important to see how we competed and where we need to improve, individually and as a whole,” Parent said. “In general we did well, and I think everyone is really excited about putting all the pieces together for our upcoming meet against Harvard.”

The women’s team also had a strong discus throw by Antonia Renker ’13, who took 10th place in the event Friday with a distance of 34.33 meters. Similarly, Jennifer Donnelly ’13 was 14th in the 10000-meter run with a time of 37:32.83.

On Saturday, the women’s team finally took home a medal when the 4 x 100 team of captain Alexa Monti ’12, Emily Cable ’15, Emily Shulan ’12 and Adele Jackson-Gibson ’13 finished in second with a time of 47.76 meters.

Cable was also able to come in sixth in the 400-meter hurdlers, with Jenna Poggi ’13 in 10th and Dakota McCoy ’13 in 13th.

Allison Rue ’13 achieved a personal best of 56.74 seconds in the 400-meter dash, and captured ninth place.

Emily Urciuoli ’14, who placed sixth pole vault after clearing 3.65 meters, said the weekend’s showing gives the team confidence going into the meet against Harvard.

“Our annual showdown is the first big test of the season, and I think we are ready to give them a run for their money,” Urciuoli said.

Harvard is currently ranked 163rd in Division, eight places behind Yale.