Dan Otto ’12 has waited three years for this moment.

Forced to sit out his first three seasons at Yale due to a string of injuries and failed surgeries, the senior right-winger scored two goals in his sixth collegiate game to lead the Bulldogs (4–1–1, 3–1 ECAC) to a 4–0 win over No. 9 Union (5–3–3, 2–2).

The Elis scored all four of their goals in the first 22 minutes of the game and held off a relentless Dutchmen offensive onslaught for two periods. Goaltender Jeff Malcolm ’13 made 45 saves, a career-high, for the Bulldogs and notched his third straight shutout.

Four minutes into the opening period, Union defenseman Matt Bodie was sent off the ice for tripping. The Blue and White took advantage of the power play advantage just 38 seconds later.

From the blue line, Kevin Peel ’12 passed the puck to right-winger Brian O’Neill ’12, who immediately ripped a shot from the left circle past goaltender Troy Grosenick. The goal was O’Neill’s first since the Elis season opener against Princeton.

With less than four minutes left in the opening frame, the Elis stunned the Dutchmen defense, scoring two goals in less than 20 seconds.

Grosenick blocked a shot by forward Nicholas Weberg ’14 but could not control the rebound as Otto swooped in and punched in the rebound. 16 seconds later, Charles Brockett ’12 took a feed from Kenny Agostino ’14 after face-off and fired a backhander over Grosenick’s outstretched glove and into the net.

The Bulldogs skated off the ice after the first period holding onto a 16–7 lead in shots on goal.

2:43 into the second period, Otto struck again. The senior right-winger fired a 40 feet slap shot from near the blue line and watched the puck traveled past a hapless Grosenick. The sophomore goaltender, who led the nation in goal allowed average and save percentage heading into the game, was pulled after the play in favor of Collin Stevens.

Desperate to put themselves on the scoreboard, the Dutchmen launched an assault against Malcolm. But the Yale bluelines disrupted Union’s offense with a physical defense, forcing the Dutchmen to attack the goalpost from afar.

Though the Bulldogs were hit with seven penalties throughout the game, the Dutchmen’s anemic power play units could generate little offensive momentum, allowing the Blue and White to clear the puck time after time.

The Bulldogs’ special team units have now killed 26 penalties on 27 attempts, best among all Division I schools.

With ten minutes left in the game, Union enjoyed a two-man advantage as O’Neill and Colin Dueck ’12 were sent off for slashing and kneeing, respectively. But the Dutchmen struggled to move the puck in the offensive zone and came up empty.

Union outshot Yale by a staggering 38–10 margin in the final two periods but could not get the puck past an impenetrable Malcolm, who now leads the nation with a .960 save percentage.

The Bulldogs will come back to Ingalls Rink on Nov. 19 to take on the UConn Huskies.