The volleyball team swept Brown for the second time this season in a 3–0 victory Saturday night in Providence, R.I.

The win put Yale at 7–1 in Ivy League play and kept it deadlocked with Princeton on top of the conference standings. After coming out with only a slight edge in the first set, the Bulldogs established control over the match in the second set and earned a decisive 25–13 victory.

“It’s always interesting playing at Brown,” head coach Erin Appleman said. “In the first 10 points, you don’t quite feel like anything is going your way. In the second set I felt like we settled in. We were serving tougher and just playing really well.”

Appleman added the turnaround was just a matter of getting comfortable.

In the second set, Yale notched a .538 hitting percentage. The breakthrough second set came after a 25–19 win in the first in spite of a .179 hitting percentage.

Much like the first matchup this season between the two teams, Brown had a low hitting percentage. The Bears (6–13, 2–6 Ivy) hit only .125 while Yale (13–5, 7–1) hit .312.

The Bulldogs jumped out to a 15–4 lead in the second set behind four kills from middle blocker Haley Wessels ’13. The team would control the tempo for the second set. During the set, Wessels made six kills, doubling her kill count from the first set.

Brown pulled together in the third set and matched Yale point-for-point until the score reached 19–19. The Elis then pulled away with a 6–3 run to take the set 25–22. Erica Reetz ’14 would cap off a big day with the match-clinching kill. The kill marked Reetz’s 13th of the match and she recorded nine digs.

“I wanted to go out there and just get the momentum going on our side,” Reetz said. “It felt really good to get everybody pumped up to play.”

Reetz, like several of her teammates, stepped up her performance when two regular starters — Allie Frappier ’15 and Taylor Cramm ’12 — did not take the court at the beginning of the match because Appleman said they had been worn down during the week.

Appleman said she was happy with how Wessels and Katie Cordell ’12 played in Frappier’s and Cramm’s stead. Wessels had a season-high 10 kills, and Cordell recorded one of two Yale service aces. Coach Appleman said keeping everyone on the court this time of year is a challenge because of frequent sickness and midterms.

“Going into the season you know that in late October you’re going to have some people that are tired and get worn down,” she said.

The Bulldogs are in the midst of five consecutive games played on the road. After playing road matches against Princeton, Penn and Brown over the past two weekends, Yale will finish up the stretch of away games with matches at Columbia and Cornell next weekend.

Yale has won both its matches of the season against Brown for the last five years.