Women’s track takes on ECACs

The women’s track team finished just 12th in the ECAC championships last weekend at Princeton, but watched a quartet of distance runners race to All-East Team honors.

All-American Kate Grace ’11 and teammate Nihal Kayali ’13 accounted for 18 of the Elis’ 23 points over the weekend when they finished first and second, respectively, in the 1500m race. Grace’s time of 4:20.66 set a new school record, and Kayali’s 4:21.94 was good for second best all time.

The ECACs feature the best athletes from about 100 Division I programs across the northeast and mid-Atlantic.

Yale also received solid performances from Elizabeth Marvin ’13, who placed sixth in the 500m Friday night and Melissa Chapman ’14, who finished seventh in the 3000m Sunday afternoon.

Overall, seven Elis qualified to compete in ECACs, including Sarah Barry ’14, Adele Jackson-Gibson ’13, Gabriella Kelly ’12, Anna Lovelace ’12 and Jacqueline Sahlberg ’12.

Duke won both the men’s and women’s overall titles.

Levine leads way for men’s track and field at IC4As

Mike Levine ’13 and Johnny Van Deventer ’11 led the way for Yale as the team competed in the IC4A championships and Swarthmore’s Last Chance Meet over the weekend.

In the IC4As, which feature athletes from about 100 schools across the northeast and mid-Atlantic, Levine finished third overall in the discus after a throw of 51.83m. Levine also placed 17th in the hammer throw.

Captain Marty Evans ’11 also competed in IC4As, and finished 17th overall in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.03 seconds.

Meanwhile, Van Deventer blazed to Yale’s second-fasted 1500m time. His effort, which was good for third place at the meet, was well timed — this is the last week to post qualifying times for the upcoming NCAA Regional. Van Deventer’s 3:43.34 time stands at No. 8 in the region.