A routine traffic stop led the New Haven Police Department to a major drug and weapons bust Thursday evening.

A NHPD patrol car stopped New Haven resident Michael Turner for his failure to wear a seatbelt while driving on Sherman Avenue at 5:45 p.m. Thursday. According to NHPD Spokesman Joseph Avery, Turner ran from police officers, but they eventually caught him and found that he possessed a plastic bag containing eight small, clear, zip lock bags search containing a white, rock like substance. Field test of the white, rock like substance yielded a positive reaction for the presence of crack cocaine, Avery said.

“Routine and consistent traffic enforcement makes our streets safer,” said Mayor John DeStefano Jr. in a Friday press-release. “Highly visible traffic stops can change the behavior of drivers behind the wheel making New Haven’s road safer for motorist, cyclists and pedestrians but can also lead to the arrest of dangerous individuals.”

After stopping his car, Turner ran from his vehicle at the corner of Sherman Avenue and Elm Street. During the ensuing foot chase, officers observed Turner reach into the waistband of his pants and a make a throwing motion towards the roof of a garage.

In addition to the crack cocaine in his pockets, police found that located a loaded firearm on the roof of that garage at 232 Sherman Avenue. Turner does not posses a pistol permit, Avery said.

Turner was arrested and charged with ten crimes: failure to wear a seatbelt, reckless driving, reckless endangerment in the 2nd degree, engaging officers in pursuit, possession of narcotics, possession of narcotics within 1,500 feet of a school, possession of narcotics with intent to sell, possession of narcotics with intent to sell within 1,500 feet of a school, carry a pistol without a permit, and carrying a weapon in a motor vehicle.