After spearheading events such as the 3rd annual Iron Chef competition, Matthew Williams ’13 has decided to run for the Yale College Council’s secretary position. Williams, a Global Affairs major who hails from Massillon, Ohio, said his main goal as secretary is to strengthen communication between Yale College Council, the administration and the student body.

“I have a passion and experience in communicating with students,” Williams said.

YCC emails are so long, they are almost impossible to get through, he said. Instead of sending out one long weekly email of events to the entire student body, Williams wants to send an brief newsletter of major campus-wide events and YCC minutes. In addition, separate emails would be sent to groups of individuals depending on the athletic, political and cultural panlists that they subscribe to at the beginning of the year. It would initially be a large amount of work, he said, but then people can opt in and out if their interests change.

In addition to reforming the email newsletter system, Williams has plans to expand residential college dining hours and gender-neutral housing, improve the YCC’s website, and introduce a mobile application that would allow students to access resources such as shuttle services, dining hall menus and Classes*v2 from their smartphones.

“As YCC secretary I would head a committee of students to gather administration support,” Williams said. “There are people on the administration who are already on board.”

Mary Awadallah ’13, who worked with Williams on the Berkeley College Council, said she has always been amazed by his commitment to his work.

“He does things wholeheartedly and with so much passion that it’s astounding,” Awadallah said.

When he’s not working, Williams said he is outdoors, running, hiking, and playing IM dodgeball for Berkeley College.