Calhoun Master Jonathan Holloway will take a one-year sabbatical starting next fall to spend more time on his scholarship, he announced to Calhoun students in an email Wednesday night.

Holloway, a professor of history, African American studies and American studies, has also served as the Chair of the Council of Masters for the past two years. He said that his many administrative responsibilities have prevented him from spending enough time on his research and writing. Amy Hungerford, director of undergraduate studies for the English Department and a professor of English and American Studies, will take over as Calhoun’s acting master next year, according to an email sent to Calhoun students from Yale College Dean Mary Miller and University President Richard Levin, but the Council of Masters position has yet to be filled.

“I have not found a way to publish as much as I wanted to or need to,” Holloway said in an interview Wednesday. “Scholarship keeps getting pushed back to the rear burner.”

Holloway said that he has made significant progress on his book, “Jim Crow Wisdom: Memory and Identity in Black America, 1941-2000,” and hopes to complete it by the end of next year.

During his sabbatical year, Holloway said he and his family will stay in the area but not live in Calhoun to allow the acting master to run the college without interference. Still, Holloway said he would be glad to return to the college when invited by students, especially in order to spend time with next year’s seniors before they graduate.

Holloway said he could not comment on who will chair the Council of Masters — which consists of multiple committees and serves as a coordinating body for the masters of the residential colleges — next year, though he said it will be a current college master. Levin told the News Wednesday night that a new chair will be announced within the next few days.

Rafael Fernandez ’13, president of the Calhoun College Council, said he especially value’s Holloway’s dedication to the college community. He said he appreciates the fact that Holloway is always thinking about how to contribute to the community, and that while he understands his academic reasons for having to take a year off, he will miss him around Calhoun.

“He will be sorely missed by everyone here, and we look forward to getting to know the acting master as soon as we can,” he said.

Hounie Max Budovitch ’13 said he was surprised to hear that Holloway would be taking a year off, and that he would miss him.

“He is such a presence in the college, and he is always so approachable,” he said. “I’m just glad he will be back in one year for when I graduate.”

Holloway completed a doctoral degree in history at Yale in 1995, and became the master of Calhoun College in 2005.