Susan Gibbons, a vice provost and dean of libraries at the University of Rochester, will replace Acting University Librarian Jon Butler as University Librarian for a five-year term starting July 1.

“Susan brings to Yale both a keen intelligence and an infectious enthusiasm for the work of libraries,” University President Richard Levin said in an e-mail to the community this morning.

The appointment comes about five months after the sudden death of University Librarian Frank Turner of a pulmonary embolism Nov. 11 and Jon Butler’s appointment as Acting University Librarian Nov. 22. Butler, former dean of the Graduate School, postponed his academic leave to serve as an interim librarian.

Gibbons, who will relieve Butler of his duties this summer, is best known in the library world for her work in library user studies at Rochester, Levin said. After studying student and faculty use of library resources at Rochester with an anthropologist, Gibbons altered library service, collections and physical library space to fit her findings.

Gibbons is active in the American Library Association, and serves as an editorial board member and book review editor for the Internet Reference Services Quarterly.