THE NEWS

• The Senior Class Council’s decision to bring actor Tom Hanks to speak on Class Day this spring breaks with a recent trend of invitations to political and media leaders, and students interviewed said they welcome the change.
  • While students and administrators debate the merits of a Yale-wide smoking ban, hookah smoking—currently unregulated in New Haven and across Connecticut—has begun to come under scrutiny. Maureen McHuth, legislative aide to Democratic State Sen. Gayle Slossberg, said last Thursday that the senator introduced legislation to the Connecticut General Assembly that would require regulation of hookah lounges in January. Though it is still in its early stages, the proposed bill would give the State Department of Health oversight authority over lounges where patrons smoke flavored tobacco, known as shisha, through a communal hookah. The bill has been referred to the Committee on Public Health for further review .
  • Over 150 people gathered at a rally in City Hall Saturday in support of the Connecticut DREAM Act. The rally, which was organized by the Yale Democrats, Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MEChA) de Yale and Connecticut Students for a DREAM, was in support of the Connecticut DREAM bill, an act to provide in-state tuition to undocumented at the state’s public colleges. The rally featured speeches from Mayor John DeStefano Jr., Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal LAW ’73 and Majority Leader Martin Looney, along with speeches from four students who are undocumented and are currently enrolled in colleges in the state. The rally organizers circulated petitions for the Connecticut DREAM Act within the crowd, which was composed of Yale students, students from other colleges and members of the general public.

THE WEATHER

High of 48 degrees, low of 29 degrees, rain.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Waffle Bar, Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Ring

Lunch: French Onion Soup With Crouton, Vegan Yellow Split Pea Soup, BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich, Kung Pao Tofu (contains peanuts), Chef’s Choice Pasta Sauce, Organic Tomato Sauce, Rigatoni, Chicken Gai Lan with Chow Fun Noodles, Sticky Rice, Quick Sautéed Collard Greens, Curried Rice Salad, Spinach Salad with Beets, Turkish Chopped Salad, Chewy Peanut Butter Brownie, Sugar Cookie

Dinner:Andouille Sausage Jambalaya, Chili Cashew, Three Cheese Calzone, Chef’s Choice Pasta Sauce, Organic Tomato Sauce, Rigatoni, Rosemary Lemon Whole Roast Chicken, Rice, Cut Corn, Curried Rice Salad, Spinach Salad with Beets, Turkish Chopped Salad, Rasp Filled Lowfat Gold Cake

In Commons

Breakfast: Maple Flavored Organic Oatmeal, Waffle Bar, Omelets To-Order, Blueberry Pancakes, Cage-Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Home Fries, Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Ring

Lunch: Miso Soup, New England Clam Chowder, Four Tomato Basil Pasta, Meatball Grinder, Winter Vegetable Frittata, French Fries, Jamaican Jerk Chicken Breast Sandwich, Cheese Pizza, Chef’s Choice Pizza, Organic Tomato Sauce, Pepperoni Pizza, Chicken Gai Lan with Chow Fun Noodles, Green Beans STIR, Jasmine Rice, Egg Salad, Turkish Chopped Salad, Roasted Eggplant & Barley Salad, Chewy Peanut Butter Brownie, Sugar Cookie

Dinner: Cashew Chili, Cochinita Pibil, Eggplant Parmesan, Roasted Chipotle Marinated Chicken, Organic Tomato Sauce, Puebla Style Rice, Roasted Butternut Squash,

Turkish Chopped Salad, Roasted Eggplant & Barley Salad, Rasp Filled Lowfat Gold Cake

Correction: February 27, 2011

An earlier version of this post misstated that the students were illegal immigrants, and in fact go by the term undocumented. It also misstated the title of Richard Blumenthal LAW ’73.

YALE DAILY NEWS