Yale’s potential smoking ban has reached Virginia. The Cavalier Daily, University of Virginia’s student newspaper, editorialized on the Yale administration’s proposal last week. Weighing UVA’s 2009 ban, the editors said implementation has proven difficult. “Many students and staff still smoke near on-Grounds buildings, signaling that the enforcement of anti-smoking policies is spotty at best,” they wrote.

Sixteen people got stuck in an elevator in Kline Biology Tower at around 2:15 p.m. Thursday. After 20 to 25 minutes of waiting, the fire department arrived to save the passengers.

Yale Dining may be short on vegetables, but at least we don’t have slimy, shelled creatures in our food. A student found a snail in a bowl of edamame while dining at Harvard’s Adams House Tuesday, the Harvard Crimson reported.

In other Cantab news, Harvard College Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid William R. Fitzsimmons told the Crimson that the college would send approximately 300 “likely” letters this spring. They will include approximately 200 sent to recruited athletes and 100 to applicants with “outstanding non-athletic attributes.”

Davenport had to postpone its dining hall staff appreciation event scheduled for Thursday afternoon because too many of the employees fell ill, the Davenport College Council wrote in an e-mail. “Make sure to say Thank You anyway and we wish them all a speedy recovery,” it said.

Cornell’s “Slope Day” concert will feature hip-hop star Nelly, the Cornell Daily Sun reported Thursday. Yalies are still waiting for the Yale College Council to release details about Spring Fling.

99 bottles of beer on the wall. Yale Athletics is providing a bus for students heading to the men’s hockey game versus Quinnipiac University tonight. The bus leaves Payne Whitney Gymnasium at 7 p.m. for the 8 p.m. puck drop.

Bieber fever. U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy, who is running for Senator Joseph Lieberman’s ’64 LAW ’67 Senate seat, tweeted Wednesday about pop star Justin Bieber’s comments in a recent Rolling Stone profile. “Just heard what Biebs said about abortion. Ugh. #timetobequietagainjustin #bieberfevercured,” he wrote.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1937 Yale’s only bearded student shaves. He folds under pressure as “the lure of social activities in New York … made it imperative that he reappear minus his whiskers.”

YALE DAILY NEWS