Do you have what it takes to be a millionaire? Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs Alfred Guy might. Guy will appear as a contestant on “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” next Monday, Feb. 14, answering trivia questions in the hope of winning big.

Guy, an English professor and the director of the Writing Center, does not consider himself a trivia aficionado.

“The closest I’ve come to this before is 10th grade, when we had a college bowl competition in my high school,” he said. “I’ve never done anything remotely like it.”

But when his mother sent him a news story about an New York University professor on the show, Guy — who used to teach at NYU — decided to take his own stab at stardom. He took the “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” qualifying test, sat for an interview, and was finally invited to compete.

He originally worried what his students would think of him, he said. Guy told his English 114 class about it in October, when he had to miss class to tape the show in New York.

“It seemed like a cheesy thing to do,” he said. “I’m supposed to be devoted to knowledge and true scholarship, and here I am going on a show to answer questions about Justin Beiber.”

Yet he found his students supportive of his endeavor: students shared their knowledge of pop culture, and one student accompanied him to the taping.

While Guy cannot divulge his performance on the show, he said the most interesting part of his experience happened off the stage.

“On a given day [of taping], all the contestants spend the day in the same room, pretty much by themselves [as they wait to be filmed]. It’s a little bit like the first day of college: everyone tells their life story, what they do, what made them get on the show,” he said. “It was a more emotional experience than I would have expected.”

The show will air on Monday at 10 a.m. on local station WTIC (FOX). Guy will also screen the episode in Linsly-Chittenden Hall at 4 p.m. on Wednesday. No contestant has won the full $1,000,000 prize yet this season. We’ll have to see if Guy did.

Correction: February 14, 2011

An earlier version of this article misspelled Linsly-Chittenden Hall.