Think Valentine’s Day is only about romance and candy hearts? Think again. For the Yale Student Environmental Coalition (YSEC), the upcoming holiday is also a chance to promote environmentally-friendly behavior.

On Wednesday night, YSEC created 300 large green heart-shaped cards — each one complete with a lipstick kiss — and scattered them across bulletin boards and dining hall tables on campus, Environmental Advocacy Project Leader for YSEC Ronit Abramson ’13 said. Each valentine bears a flirty message and related tips for reducing energy use or carbon emissions.

“My heart is racing, my palms are sweaty, and I can’t breathe,” one card reads. “But it’s not you… It’s the 3000 tons of NOx emissions produced in CT last year. Call on state leaders for greener transportation & cleaner power plants.”

Others are more risqué: “Turn off the lights! CT uses more than 900,000 tons of dirty coal for electricity production every year. Do it in the dark!”

YSEC also plans to regale Governor Dannel Malloy with sustainability valentines on Valentine’s Day, Abramson said. The group hopes that “hundreds” of students will send Malloy cards asking him to invest in renewable energy, she said.

Correction: February 10, 2011

A previous version of this post misstated the gender of Environmental Advocacy Project Leader for YSEC Ronit Abramson ’13.