Down to the wire. Today is the deadline for freshmen to turn in their schedules for the semester. Sophomores and juniors must submit their schedules by Thursday, and seniors have until Friday. Get them in by 5 p.m.!

Slosh, slosh, slosh. A nasty mix of ice and water flooded campus Tuesday afternoon after morning snow turned into heavy, freezing rain.

And it’s not going to stop. According to the National Weather Service, there is a 30 percent chance of more rain today. Though Wednesday night will be clear, meteorologists expect that snow will fall on Thursday night, and continue through Friday.

The dreadful wintry mix left many Yalies wondering what to do. At about 6 p.m., one student without an umbrella wearing a suit and tie was spotted running across Elm Street and up York Street yelling “The northeast sucks! Get me back to Florida!”

But he wasn’t the only one. Tuesday was the first day for banking and consulting interviews through on-campus recruiting at University Career Services. Students in business suits carefully scurried up Whitney Avenue while attempting to avoid the snow and ice.

University President Richard Levin is in Washington, D.C. today, where he will attend a state lunch with Chinese President Hu Jintao. Levin and Hu have met four times in the past, Levin told the News in an interview on Tuesday.

Yale Law Professor Amy Chua is taking more flack. On the opinion page of Tuesday’s New York Times, columnist David Brooks argued that Chua is “coddling her children. She’s protecting them from the most intellectually demanding activities because she doesn’t understand what’s cognitively difficult and what isn’t.”

Meanwhile, Chua’s daughter, 18-year-old Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld, defended her mother in an article in Tuesday’s New York Post: “Now that I’m 18 and about to leave the tiger den, I’m glad you and Daddy raised me the way you did.”

Vote for Hobey! Yale hockey stars Denny Kearney ’11 and Broc Little ’11 are up for the Hobey Baker award, an accolade given annually to the top men’s hockey player in the NCAA. Voting is online at hobeybakeraward.com.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1981 Vice President for Finance and Administration Jerald Stevens announces that the University plans to “renovate and modernize” 40 buildings over two years, costing $10 million.

YALE DAILY NEWS