The Bulldogs (0–2–1 ECAC) were unable to win against Providence College (1–0–1 ECAC), despite playing on home ice.

“We knew going into the game that Providence was a tough opponent,” Head Coach Flygh said. Providence just missed being ranked by the USHO this season and their goalie, Genevieve Lacasse, is the third-ranked women’s goalie in the country with a .949 save percentage.

Providence increased their overall record against Yale to 26–5–2 with a pair of goals in the first five minutes of the game. The Friars attacked early, taking two shots on goals within the first two minutes. Ashley Cottrell won a faceoff and quickly assisted Laura Veharanta’s goal with 15:43 left in the period. Ten seconds later, the Elis won a faceoff but lost possession to Veharanta, who made her second goal of the night.

“After five minutes, we were down 2–0,” Flygh said. “We need to play with passion and urgency from the start.”

Genny Ladiges ’12 replaced Erin Callahan ’13 as starting goaltender.

“Genny played well against Vermont and has a very capable track record,” Flygh said. “It was a decision the entire coaching staff was comfortable with.”

After letting two early goals in, Ladiges blocked 14 shots in the period, including an impressive sliding save to deflect a puck from Corinne Buie.

“Genny has really stepped up,” Heather Grant ’12 said, “but the goalies need more support from the rest of the team.”

The Bulldog offense struggled in the first period. The Elis seemed poised for a comeback as Danielle Moncion ’13 was broke free of defenders, but her shot went directly into Lacasse’s shin pads. Patricia McGauley ’14 had Yale’s fifth shot on goal as she attempted a slapshot with 5:30 remaining. Trying to get Yale on the scoreboard, Jenna Ciotti ’14 made a diagonal pass near the Friar goal, but none of her teammates were there to receive. Ciotti tried again, taking a shot with less than a minute left, which Lacasse blocked with her glove.

At the end of the first period, Yale was outshot 8–16.

The second period was a rallying point for the Elis. Alyssa Zupon ’13 fell forward in an early faceoff, allowing Providence to gain possession, but redeemed herself by scoring Yale’s only goal at 4:29, assisted by Tara Tomimoto ’13 and Patricia McGauley ’12. Emily DesMeules ’13 intercepted a Friar pass, but Providence quickly rebounded with Nicole Anderson taking a shot that went wide of the net. The Friars followed up with back to back shots with 10:43 remaining, but were unable to get past Ladiges.

“We battled back hard in the second period and generated more scoring opportunities than we have in any game we’ve had this year,” Flygh said.

Almost ten minutes into the second period, Maggie Pendelton was called for a high sticking penalty. The Elis were able to generate one scoring attempt, but Aleca Hughes ’12 powered the puck over the crossbar. After killing the power play, the Friars took several slap shots in rapid succession, which Ladiges stopped.

With six minutes left, the Bulldogs had another power play after Alyse Ruff ’11 committed a tripping penalty. Captain Samantha MacLean ’11 unsuccessfully tried to capitalize on the power play with a slap shot. Aleca Hughes ’12 and Heather Grant ’12 followed up with attempts of their own. The Friars gained their own power play after Aurora Kennedy ’14 was called for a tripping penalty, but were unable to score.

Providence almost took a 3–1 lead with 2:56 left in the second, but the referee invalidated the goal because he blew the whistle on the play before the goal occurred. The Friars followed up with a tripping penalty at the 20th minute, leading to a power play for Yale in the third period.

The third period continued frustrations for Yale. After the Friars killed a Bulldog power play, Jennifer Friedman was able to take a shot, but it went over the crossbar. At the nine minute mark, Samantha MacLean ’11 was sent to the penalty box for interference, but the Elis were able to kill the Providence power play. Yale called a time out with 1:16 left, but were unable to regroup. Kate Bacon scored with under a minute left to play, putting the score at 3–1 and out of reach for Yale.

“We need to find way to play with poise and confidence,” Flygh said. “It’s hard to play that way when you’re not in a winning environment. We are going to continue working on power plays and making plays in transitions.”

The Elis will play Northeastern in Boston at 3 p.m. on Saturday.